Yulaha and Yulee, Anyone?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Since these are new for 2008, I guess no one would have anything to add yet? Would 4.50 for 4 inch pots be a good deal?

This first one is as presented in an online ad, and is "Yalaha," .... offered by a plumeria company out of Naples, Florida.

EDITED to say this plant is spelled "Florida City Yalaha, not Yulaha. Sorry about that. I've been emailing with the owner of the nursery in Florida that is advertising it, and she said this one is new for 2008.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 6:58 PM

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And I think this one was called Yulee ? I'm just dying to have both!!!

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW that is amazingly beautiful!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW, and another!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Aren't they gorgeous? My gardens (well, for a 7 year commitment) are all purple, orange, and chartreuse. Won't these be wonderful??

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh yes! I would give that for them unless the shipping is unreal!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I usually buy my coleus at Home Cheapo, so I didn't know what I'd have to pay for new ones. Thanks!

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Those colors are stunning. Yes I would pay that. The first one just sends me!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I actually just potted up some of those little seed mats that have Coleus and Impatiens today! :) I put two in one long pot, should be beautiful!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

(Edited to remove bad link.)

Here is the link to the web site where I got the picture. I guess I need to go check out this company in our Garden Watchdog thread!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 12:33 AM

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

So SOOOOOOOO pretty!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

http://www.plumeriagallery.com/

Oops...that didn't work. Here it is.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Misty,

Do you have a greenhouse, or do you place them in a sunny (we haven't seen sun in about a week here!) window?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

It only showed that they had the one. But it is a beauty!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a small green house, but I don't have any actual Coleus plants, YET!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And another "new for 2008" according to the web site, called "Micanopy"

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And an orange one for contrast, called "Curly Hot Pink"....looks orange to me, but then maybe my 'puter is going out?

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

After looking at your fist ones posted I went to PlantFiles and added some to my want list! LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Can anyone tell me how coleus do with water splashed from a chlorinated pool? I have an area I'd like to use them in, but worry about that....

It would literally be just inches from the water...up to about 5 feet

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Misty,

Do you think they are truly new or just new to that company? I just really got into coleus last year, so I'm totally new to this!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Good thing to know cause I could put some in with some of my larger plants I am gonna put around our little pool.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry Connie, I just now got into them myself. I have no idea other than I am in love with them! HA HA HA

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

These are some I planted last year...don't know the names!

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I think I remember seeing those in PlantFiles? I love em all, but I can't have em all! LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Have fun looking at all the Coleus, but I think I gotta go night night! Have a good one, Connie! :)

North Brunswick, NJ

Connie -

'Yalaha' isn't brand new, but it's certainly a newer kid on the block (along with a bunch of other Florida Cities coleus, including 'Yulee' and 'Micanopy'). Here's a picture (appearing sideways) of what a container plant of 'Yalaha' looked like in my New Jersey garden last year.

Check out http://www.greenbeam.com/features/tour073001.stm

Ray

Thumbnail by rrog2001
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm...I don't see a bit of true purple in the real plant. Do you think they 'color-enriched' that photo? If so, that's really a fraud. OR did you not plant in full sun since you're in NJ?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I thought Coleus were shade loving plants?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Connie! I've never seen Yulaha in person, but all the pics I've seen of it shows no purple on it at all other than the pics posted at plumeriagallery. We've been having a Yulaha discussion over here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/806068/#new and I posted some links from a google search.

Your question about coleus being close to enough to get pool water splashed on them?? We have many coleus planted by the pool and I've not had problems with it. And they get splashed plenty from everyone going off the diving board. Hope this helps.

Misty, I have full day hot scorching sun and most of my coleus thrive. Many of them are now bred to be sun tolerant.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by Brinda
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Brinda! Think I will have to try some by the pool then because it will have mostly all day sun. The ones I planted yesterday are mixed with Impatiens, so I will have to keep those in shade I assume?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yep, shade for the impatiens for sure! But the coleus you have in the shade should do well also.

Look at the catalog at RDG http://www.rosydawngardens.com/ you can scroll thru and see what they show as sun tolerant.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I will go look, but then I will want more! LOL
These I planted up yesterday came in the little seed mat from Lowe's and I hope they do well! I love them both so much!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Hide the credit card before you click on the link!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

HE HE HE I did good, just looked at the article and moved on! Proud of myself for that, too! :) I think I will test my luck on just how hardy Coleus can be. My Impatiens lived, and even did well, in my portable green house from Lowe's. All until it hit the teens, then they were toast! I was shocked at how hardy they actually are.

North Brunswick, NJ

Regarding the purple in the picture of 'Yalaha': I can't recall ever seeing that vivid a shade of purple in any coleus, and I've seen more than a few coleus in my day. But you never know what can happen with coleus these days, especially the new ones.

Digital photography can fail to capture correct colors, just as film can fall short.

My 'Yalaha' was grown in a spot that receives some of the strongest sun of the day. I've found that most coleus can handle a great deal of sun here in New Jersey, except for the very pale ones, such as 'Buttercream' and the white-centered Wizard, and the pale pink-centered ones, such as 'Amora'. We've got to explode the myth that coleus thrive only in shade. The Florida City coleus were selected for sun tolerance in Florida, for Pete's sake, so they can withstand the sun almost anywhere else (such as in Brinda's Oklahoma). Many others that we've been growing in the shade all these years look like Technicolor versions of themselves when grown in at least some morning sun.

Ray

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

These will be my first Coleus, so I am a newbie and just learning.

North Brunswick, NJ

mistygardener -

As a newbie, you should feel free to break all (well, most) of the rules and see what happens! Coleus are very forgiving and will surprise you with their willingness to please you. Then tell us all about your successes and discoveries - we all have a lot to learn!

Ray

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

OMG if the Yulaha looked that way "in person" I'm afraid I'd spend a lot more than $4.50 for it.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

There is a buy 1 get 1 sale in the classified ads for this, I didn't hide the charge card in time, yikes! It says they can take some sun. Don't go here unless you are feeling strong: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/807452/

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ray, I think I might just do that! :)
Cathy, I think I will NOT open that link! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.