Bug Infestation

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Hello!

I have a rather large infestation of what appears to be aphids (see attached photo) that are feeding on a Portulaca grandiflorum which is wintering in my basement. They are also present on some fig trees that I am hoping to bonsai. The portulaca is in the basement with a temp of about 50 degrees...the bugs are very sluggish. The figs are under lights upstairs but the bugs don't seem to be very active there either.

I have sprayed with Savin, but I see no results.

What to do?

Thanks muchly,

Wayne

Thumbnail by duester45
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are definitely aphids. Soapy water will do them in. You just have to be careful to wash every one of those girls, or they'll keep having babies. And hoo boy, can they reproduce fast. Plants brought inside just have problems with the lower light, etc. I am currently fighting spider mites on some plants, and scale on others. I no longer have aphids after they got their bath. They are squeaky clean, but dead.

Repeat the soapy water in about a week, and watch carefully. And repeat as necessary. You can either mix a couple of tablespoons of dish soap to a gallon of water and spray, or mix up some soapy water in a sink or bucket, and dip. The soap dessicates their exoskeletons.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, soapy water or insecticidal soap is the best way to go. Aphids individually are really easy to kill, but since they reproduce so quickly it's hard to get rid of them. Whatever product you use, you need to repeat it regularly because there's no way you're going to get every single aphid the first time you spray with anything, and the one or two that you miss are going to turn into hundreds before you realize it (that's probably why you think the Sevin didn't work...my guess is it did, but then the few that were hiding under a leaf or something when you applied it reproduced like crazy, so they came right back). Since you have to repeat multiple times to get rid of them, I'd suggest using a safer pesticide like the soap rather than a more toxic one like Sevin.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i find that for indoor plants, a mix of alcohol and water works well too.

Winnetka, IL

Do you rinse the soapy water off? Or do you just spray the heck out of the plant and leave it to dry?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.