Seeds are in....the stores!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey gang
Seeds are in at the Christmas Tree Shop as well as seed starting kits etc.
I've always had luck with their seeds - Most of the perennials in my garden are from seeds purchased there. They have italian vegetables too.
Spring is coming, spring is coming!

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

OOOOOOhhhh.... Christmas Tree Shop.....What an addiction.....Thanks for the heads up on the seeds, I've always been afraid they were old and never bought any there.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Deb, what brand do they carry? I made my annual pilgrimage to Ocean State Job Lot yesterday for my Burpee's. I posted a thread today about them labeling in Spanish as well as English.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I do find it interesting that every year Job Lot has their Burpee display up, with their own 40% off, and the seeds are fresh each year.

(Zone 4a)

Hmmm I don't think I am doing many seeds this year unless someone miraculously sends me some LOL

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Darn it! I just drove past a Christmas Tree Shop today. I shoulda stopped!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

My local HD and local garden center has seeds and seed starting stuff out! Still, we have a ways to go yet....

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Tommy, don't spoil the fun for the rest of us eager beavers out here! We'll take what we can get, when we can get it, even if it's pining over some pretty pictures on seed packets! LOL!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

dawn - i have mixed portulaca, kimono red celosia, and grandpa otts MG seeds you can have...

(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the offer amethystsm - that is kind of you. I will pass though - I did the seed thing last year and some of it didn't do so well and secondly I really didn't have the room for it - I just plain made a mess everywhere LOL

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I found the seeds out at Agway today too. Couldn't resist, here's the list of what I bought:

Lupine ~Minarette
Lupine ~ Russell's Prize Mix
Poor Man's Weather Glass
Cosmos ~ Orange
Sunflowers ~ Hart's Special Mix
Sunflowers ~ Autumn Beauty Mixed Colors
Delphinium ~ Pacific Giants
Four O' Clock ~ Choice Mixture
Cat Treat ~ Ryegrass
Flax ~ Scarlet
Wildflower ~ Low Growing Mix

North Augusta, ON

Walmart has them too!!
They had bikinis and shorts too, but I find it hard to shop for summer stuff other than seeds when its 10 below outside.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with threegardeners, they did that with the Christmas stuff right after labor day too, seems they want to stimulate some sales since the economy is not doing so well. I can't even work the soil now, its like concrete. ☺

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No bikini pics?

North Augusta, ON

ummm...no Al, no bikini pics...sorry.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Well, Al, if she was talking about Strawflower 'bikini mix', then she might be more willing to show pics!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

As long as it's a 4 piece.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Most of the seeds at the Christmas Tree Shop are from Lake Valley. They usually have Unwins too. I like Unwins because they offer some unusual varieties....
Lets see, I picked up:
Flowers:
Delphinium - Magic Fountains (dwarf)
Delphinium - butterfly mixed colors x2
Morning Glory - Heavenly blue x 2
Morning Glory - flying saucers
Hollyhock - black - excellent for dying wool!
Hollyhock - summer carnival mix (doubles)
Hollyhock - Indian spring (singles)
Hollyhock - apricot (doubles)
Nasturtium - mahogany
Nasturtium - Alaska (variagated foliage)
Globe Amaranth - mixed colors
Pansy - rococco

Veggies:
Brandywine tomato
Betterboy tomato
Kentucky blue pole bean
Italian bush bean

I'm definitely going back for more - I forgot foxglove (how could I do that!!!)

Pixie - what is "Poor Man's Weatherglass"??

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Ocean State Job Lot" --- I miss that store -- when I used to spend a lot of time in Rhode Island, that was my seed source too! I'd fill half a suitcase with garden goodies and hauo it back here!

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm drivenbonkers, and I'm a sucker for pretty pictures on seed packages......

Keep an updated seed list in my purse so I know what I have. (in theory it prevents duplicate purchases.........)

Including the ones purchased at Canadian Tire yesterday there's 142 entries on the list. (seeds purchased/collected from 2006, 2007 & 2008) annual flowers, vegetables, climbing vines and perennials

8 varieties of sunflower (one can NEVER have enough sunflowers for vases, lol)

ah, the promise of spring!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

tamberlin,
Poor Man's Weather Glass is Anagallis Monellii, it has beautiful blue flowers with pink or yellow insides. They close when rain is approaching, hence the name.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1290/

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

drivenbonkers, the seed list in your purse is an excellent idea!! I need to do that as I now have 2 packets of Delphinium Pacific Giants!!

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

anagallis monellii, aka blue pimpernell

have some garden collected seed available if anyone wishes....

I just have to remember to consult the list, lol....

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 10:05 AM

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 10:06 AM

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Celeste, I started an "Old Fashioned Names for Flowers" thread on the Cottage Garden Forum if you'd like to add that to the list!

Delphs and Larkspur - I want lots this year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.