Grow lights

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure if this will help the light my plants but I added some Aluminum foil to the inside of the reflectors.
Sure looks brighter to me. Has anyone tried this ?

Love Compost Tea

Thumbnail by rentman
Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Another

Thumbnail by rentman
Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Because of the wrinkling, aluminum foil makes a poor reflector of the light. Rather than reflect and concentrate, the wrinkles cause the light to scatter and diffuse.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

You may be correct Eggs , but a lot of grow light reflectors advertise 'highly reflective (95%) textured aluminum for maximum reflectivity'
Maybe 'scatter and diffuse' is better than a spot light. It looks to me ( I don't have a light meter ) that I getting more light with the aluminum foil than I had before. ???

I do Love Compost Tea

Fulton, MO

Eggs is correct, here is a chart: http://www.1-hydroponics.co.uk/web/manual/light/index.html

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

"The most reflective material of all is the space age material MYLAR which is like a flexible mirror and can reflect 92% of light back onto the plants. MYLAR is available from your local dealer. "
I guess Aluminum Foil is not as good as it looks... now to find some Mylar

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I'm glad you posted this Rentman, I'm surprised about aluminum foil myself! Thanks for the good chart Stressbaby, that's interesting info. I've been watching for possible reflective problems that might be caused by the foil surface of the polyisocyanurate insulation I used on the north wall of my greenhouse. I've had two friends tell me I'd need to paint it white to avoid scorching my plants, since my GH is in full hot sun. I know that would negate the benefits of the foil surface for insulation purposes, so I won't be doing that...but this whole reflectivity issue is one I've been trying to get my brain around, and I appreciate the good info.

So far I've not had any trouble with the "broiler oven" effect people mentioned to me. Still, it's interesting to see what surfaces reflect light better than others. Who knew putting up a greenhouse would be such an educational experience...about stuff other than plants!
Sheri

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

rentman check Walmart for mylar. It's sold in the camping area as emergency blankets for under $3.00

MollyD

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Went by Wakmart found the blanket...did not say Mylar but stated 'Made od polyester material designed from insulation used in space exploration'...same thing , Mylar is a brand name.
Price 2.16 'Oh Yes' Began the new insulation.
This is what it looks like laying on top of the Aluminum Foil.

Thumbnail by rentman
Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Removed the Aluminum Foil and began the replacement and as always ran into another problem , the new foil would not stay against the reflector like the Aluminum Foil ...Out to the garage for some 'Liquid Nails'.
There is now 2 beads of adhesive to which the foil is attached along with tape along the outer edges.
Installed are 2 T8 lamps , more light output. The Aluminum Foil went into the recycle bend along with the beer cans :)
By the way the extra Foil is rolled onto an old fluorescent lamp at top of pic.

Thumbnail by rentman
Fulton, MO

Do you see a difference?

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi stressbaby...
It looks different , but from the light on the plants I can see No difference.
Wished I had a photo light meter

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Wished I had a photo light meter

Take another trip to the garage! (Hey... ya never know) =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.