Happy Robbie Burns Day!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I had a really nice picture of Robbie Burns (the soccer player) in a sauna with an appropriately draped white towel (good looking guy!) but it was an unauthorized use of a picture, so it kinda ruined the image with all that white writing. :-(

Anyway, enjoy your porridge and haggis :-)

Thumbnail by Seandor
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Hey, I had porridge for breakfast!

North Augusta, ON

I'll pass on the haggis...

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Me, too. I think that would be enough to turn anyone into a vegetarian!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

nah, haggis tastes terrific - just like meatloaf - serve it with taters and neeps (mashed potatoes and turnips )

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

With LOTS of ketchup. x, C

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Michaela, I can't find any pics of a Robbie Burns, soccer player, except for an old one of someone from 1963. Who does he play for?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

No, but this is sort of apropos. My two border collies that have Scottish lineage romping on the beach a few days ago. Happy birthday dear Bobby. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm Scottish! As in "The Campbells are coming hurrah, hurrah, to bonnie Loch Lomond, hurrah, hurrah". They massacred us (Clan MacLamont) and only a few survive in Scotland to this day under assumed names (like Lomond). Actually I do know they massacred most of the LAMonts. The rest I made up. But we do have our own tartan (not that it's ever done me any good).

Most people think Lamont is French and capitalize the M (LaMont) or add an E (Lamonte) or both (LaMonte) but it's SCOTTISH!

(climbing back off soapbox)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Carrie, Me too, grandmother was Jessie McLean, her father came to Canada from Tarbert Harris in the Outer Hebrides. Did we fight? I know we fought nearly everyone, including my husbands clan, the MacLachlan's . DH and I did a trip with my mom a couple of years ago to see all the old family spots. His was in ruins, my moms is a castle. Too funny.

I knew about the name's origin from a bookstore customer who wrote about French writers and translated the works of her famous friend, Charlotte Delbo, the French women resistance leader and writer who was sent to a concentration camp. Several books I have not yet felt ready to read, but I should by her and translated by Lamont are titled, "Days and Memory" and "Auschwitz and After" She informed my once that the origin of her name was Scottish. though she was French. She got out with her family as a young girl before the war. She is now deceased ,but she had quite a presents while living, Dr. Rosette C Lamont. She always rode an old bike with a basket and a bell, which she used often. Patti

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

What's soccer?

(Zone 4a)

What is haggis?

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Here ya go, Carrie!

http://www.geocities.com/sconemac/lamont.html

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

DawnLL, you don't want to know unless you like oatmeal and offal cooked in a sheep's stomach with some salt. yummy????? Patti

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

DawnLL - Haggis ..... IMO=UGH!
LOL!

sheep's heart, liver and lungs, onion, oatmeal, suet & spices boiled in the sheep's stomach.

Sorry you asked?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Oh, but my husband gave some canned Haggis to my Mother for Christmas. She took it back to Okla unopened. Doubt that it will ever get eaten though our two Border Collies would love it. Patti

(Zone 4a)

Yup I am and NO i don't want any of that!!! Grossssssssss!!!

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm part Scot as well.
Clan MacLachlan.

My maternal grandmother's side.
They were crofters on the Isle of Skye and were forced out.
Mama's family ended up in St. Kitts, BWI - of all places. That's where my grandmother was born.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I wonder why they call it Robbie Burns Day instead of Robert. Probably a bunch of blokes were sitting at the pub one evening with a round of pints and, after a few too many, raised their glasses and said, "Here's to good ol' Robbie, may he rest in peace!"

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Probably because Mr. Burns was one of the blokes at the pub. He was a bit of a scoundrel in his day.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I am part Scot also...Douglas Clan

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hail, Scotswoman! Actually only the fraction that has my father's name is Scotch - also have Irish, Welsh, English, Ohio, and Other. Gabagoo, that may have been more than I wanted to know. (Yikes, stabbed then murdered then hanged!) x, C

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Carrie, which Ohio clan are you from - the MacClevelands?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL I think the MacFarther South than that - but I don't know much about the Ohio clansmen, as they emigrated to Washington DC, from thence to Boston, before I was born. (Cambells still on our tail, the whole way, too.) Why, are you a MacCleveland? x, Carrie

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

No, I've always been a MacBay Stater!

Although, my dh's family is from the Stewart clan.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Och aye!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am now of the MaclazyIslander clan but was born in the Macsoonerratherthanlater clan in OK. Patti

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

OK - I googled soccer ;)
Is this a Canadian thing or Scottish thing?
http://www.matthewbarr.co.uk/sounds/grease_me_up.wav

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

what the heck is that!?!?

i keep thinking of connor maccleod of the clan maccleod...
"There can be only one."

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The most famous Scotsmen in America - Groundskeeper Willie

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Is he related to Puxatawny Phil?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.