Thyme or Oregano or Plectranthus help with ID

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

CLOSED
I think it also called India Oregano it have thick big leaf, greygreen leaf. It is a big robust plant.

Can anybody help me identify and perhaps, any can sell me a cutting

It would be very appreciate.

I had a plant for a couple of years ago and lost it.

Best Wishes from Sweden

This message was edited Feb 23, 2008 11:58 AM

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Plectranthus amboinicus is on the plant finder here and looks like your plant. Sorry I can't help you with a cutting. It isn't one I've tried. What does it taste like, and do use it for the same things you would use Oregano? It looks very much like an apple mint.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hi
thanks for answer, I have problem to tell the fragrance but it not mint and It no anyone I use in food, only grow it for eye-catching. It is a huge beautiful plant, with think leafs and thick branch a very heavy plant. With strong fragrance, which I canīt identify.
I think Plectranthus amboinicus is an smaller one, with smaller leafs, this one have leafs to about 10 centimetre. And when I got it long time ago she say it was an India Oregano.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi hobbyodlaren, it looks like a Plectranthus to me, but perhaps you could post it in the Plant Identification forum, you have the biggest chance there to get it identified. With the right name it will be easier to find it for sale or for trade..
Did it ever flower and how do the flowers look like ?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like it could be catmint, it would have a unusual scent. Crush some in your hand and look for a cat, if the cat rolls in it or tries to eat it like mine do then that is probably what it might be. Kittens don't care for it so try it on an older cat.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Cuban Oregano and Indian Borage are listed in the common names for Plectranthus amboinicus

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/15007/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.