Is a Weeping Pink Higen Cherry tree grafted?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I was looking at a Weeping Pink Higen Cherry Tree for sale on EBay and sent the following message to the seller.

"I'm interested in this tree but I have a couple questions. Do you graft the trees yourself and how high up on the trunk is the graft?"

Here was his reply

"We don't graft these trees. They are on their own roots. Much better tree that way."

He has very good feedback on EBay, but was a little thrown off by his answer. Am I wrong? I thought Weeping Cherries were grafted.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Many plants that are usually grafted can be propagated by cuttings as well. What you need to find out is why weeping cherries are usually grafted (I'm not a cherry expert so I don't know the answer to this). If it's just that they're easier to propagate by grafting than by cuttings, then there's nothing wrong with one grown on its own roots. But often things are grafted in order for the plant to have a better, stronger root system. So if they're usually grafted because their own roots are problematic in some way, then you'd be better off finding a grafted one.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the reply ekrane. I think I may have found the answer and the seller gave me some good information. Based on what I have found online I went ahead and purchased the tree. I think I would prefer the more graceful look of the un-grafted tree anyway.

Here's is where I got some of my information.
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13715

Morrison, TN

I propagate them from cuttings too. It is a stronger tree.

Otis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.