Seed starting ....soon

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone!

I know its a bit early, but is anyone getting ready to start seed indoors? I have a makeshift growing area in my basement. Very low-tech...it actually a huge white tarp made into a 9X5 "greenhouse" The tarp is very long- about 40 ft. so I am going to expand it and lower the ceiling ht. a bit. It works- I have been keeping Plumeria and African Violets and assorted succulents in there all winter. I have heat mats, lots of florescent lighting and a small heater going. And in my need for spring, I have a Black Pearl Pepper plant that is about six inches tall and very bushy-with blossoms!

But I got off track here..are any other Michiganders out there starting to prepare to start plants indoors? I have to buy more soil mix (I blend my own) and set up more shelving. I use baker racks because they are easy to clean and let air circulate. They come with four sets of shelves, and I dont use two or three, so I "link" them together with the extras for more shelf space. I would love to hear about anyone else's prep for spring!

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I was trying to decide if it was too early too. I see the seed racks and just drool. Three more months, three more months, three more months....maybe I should try yoga with my chanting.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have daylilies growing already and will be starting more if i get some seed mix soon
Will be starting other things the end of feb or sooner!!! i have lots of tomatoes i want to get a jump start on, and lots of other stuff!!

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

notmartha-
I have never started daylilies from seed. Is it difficult? How long does a plant take to go from seed to bloom?( I am always on the lookout for a new seed hobby, lol)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

they are really easy from seed and some growers have gotten blooms with 9months of growing. I dont try to fool plants into thinking they are older so it can be anywhere from 1-2yrs but worth the wait to see a new daylily you have created!!!-i hybridize my own too

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.