Is This a Dog?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am assuming this is a possible malamut mix or something but...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I'd say it looks too big for a coyote and the tail seems to have a curl to it. I coyote has a straight bushy tail like a fox. It also looks to comfortable for a coyote, they are pretty shy when it comes right down to it. I agree that it's probably some sort of husky mix.

I do animal rehab and once came out to a woman's house where she absolutely insisted that there was a coyote shut in her barn. I went in and started to laugh. Coyotes aren't nutered.

I've also used the "sit, stay or come" commands when someone swears that they have a wild wolf in their yard. They usually get a reaction. We have a few wolf-dog hybreds around here that people dumped, but they normally retain enough dog in them , that when they hear "come, come here boy", they will at least look up at you where a wild one will slink or run away. I thought a guy was going to faint when I walked out to a field and "called" what he thought was a full wolf right up to me and scratched it's ears. (Sometimes it's nice to have people think you're a god....)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You are awsome! Great story. lol. You are the wolf whisperer.
Those pictures would make me look twice too.
I was once walking my lab and my DM lab and was about 1/2 mile back in the woods when 2 animals looking just like this came out of nowhere and started to grow and stalk the 3 of us. The brain flashed wolf, no, coyotte, no...ah, blue eyes, syberian huskies. They were not nice though. I was quite fearful for the half mile back to the house, shouting firmly for them to get away, and no, and back. They circled me for the whole way back, sometimes lunging, and then by the house took off after a rabbit. I hear that a few days later the dogs were picked up and the owner fined.
What would make a beautiful dog like that so mean? Bad owners? Too bad.

Marlton, NJ

Definitely bad owners!

You know what they say; Their are no bad dogs. :-)

It occurred to me after I should have tried the 'here boy' thing to see if it responded. I have never seen this animal before and it just made me do a double take.

We used to have Siberian Huskies. We had one that had the wolf coloring. If we were out walking him, people would cross over to the other side of the street to avoid us!! He was the biggest lover out of the 5 we had!!

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 8:32 PM

Forgot to say thanks for responding!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Let us know if you see him again. Sure makes you look twice.

I will be keeping an eye open for sure!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Dog for me, possibly German Shepherd - Husky cross.

Resin

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

pure coyote. picture #2 shows him looking for food, probably vole.

he passed through again yesterday morning.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I believe these are native IN wolves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11Cg2U_47Y

It sure does look like one. Did you tell it to sit?

Coyotes in IN: http://www.coyoterescue.org/

My vote is for Wolf or dog.

Call or send the pic to these people: http://www.wolfpark.org/adopt.html

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I know years ago my BIL "adopted" on there. He used to go there all the time. since he and sis divorced, i dont know if he still goes... but his love for wolves is incredible.

beautiful creates.

Jenks, thanks for the links. The coyote link was very informative as I really know very little about them. Just that we have them and we hear them howling occasionally.

He went through faster the second day, so I did'nt have a chance to get outside and see if he responded to me.

I love wolves. I find them very fascinating and have supported causes in their behalf.

Well, seems this big guy is a new pet that belongs to a family down the street I found out yesterday! They tend to let their dogs roam, which is a pet peeve of mine. :-(

I am short mind you 5'1''. He came up next to me and top of his head is at my waist! Made me a little nervous as I have been attacked by a dog before.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, those dogs that came after me when I was walking in the woods, were very large for huskies. They were as large as my lab, and he is a tall guy.
A dog like that makes people look twice. They would be wise to keep it home or be with it at least when walking.

I just don't understand people who make no attempts to control their animals. When we moved into Williamsburg (Used to be a town, now just a cluster of houses) The first thing we noticed was that people didn't contain their dogs (the neighborhood millionare has FIVE!) We had planned on invisable fencing for ours, but it doesn't keep the others OUT. Now our yard is like fort knox. I called the dog pound on one dog (that killed our buny in it's cage) so many times that I used to just put him in the car and drive him down myself to the pound. The people had the money so they just kept paying the fines. Finially the dog warden told me "you know, you don't have to bring him HERE" and then gave me a list of out of town, no kill shelters. I drove him to Frankfort, left the $15 for food and he now has a nice home elsewhere and is nutered. The people never even came around the neighborhood looking for him. Sadly, they got others to replace it. Annother neighbors dog has spent hours over here getting used to the little animals with me. At least I can trust him now.

I always said that you should have to take a test before you can have anything bigger than a hamster.

That is one advantage to the coyote explosion, there aren't nearly as many loose cats and small dogs.

I told dh I better not find any deposits left in our yard!!!

That dog better be careful of the old man who lives behind us. He will be convinced it's a wolf and hard telling what he will do. He thinks the people next door to him have a pit bull. but it is actually a boxer. But there is no convincing him.

Start looking for no kill shelters. I notice that there isn't a collar on the dog and he's way too pretty to get shot because his owners are idiots.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is what I thought too.

Sorry about the bad dog parent neighbor. It sure is a shame. Our dog is hardly ever on a leash, but he is in the house with me, in the truck with me, or out in the woods walking with me. He is never outside by himself. (he doesn't want to) Big lab, big baby.

With all the animals you have trying to reabilitate, you don't need to be babysitting the neighbors dogs. They are probably bored and looking for attention.

That's pretty much what I figure too. My lab seldom leaves the yard and if he does I'm usually right behind him with a newspaper. My beagle would have to get UP to get out and that's way too much trouble for her.
I don't know what was up with moose today, he was sitting flat on his butt in the snow howling. He rarely ever howls, but when he does it's this low soft moan that just breaks your heart. I yelled at him and he just looked sheepish. I think he smells someone in heat (quite possibly a coyote). It's not one of his girls and like every good hooker, he doesn't get any unless somebody pays. (He hates that. He'd gladly do it for free just like any other man)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ha, I have the same problem with mine. He wants to give it away. I told him he was special, but he doesn't care.

He has been after the coyotes tracks here too. Luckily we haven't seen them, but tracks all over. Don't need any labacottes around.

I have seen what a pack of coyotes can do to a large deer overnight. It is not pretty, and if they are hungry he may look tastey. He doesn't understand they could be dangerous.

Ahhh Labs, never heard of safe sex. Never cared.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Aweee look at the wolfdog. Thats a really pretty one. Seen it anymore?

Oh yeah! A family right down the street claims him, so see him just about everyday now!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Awe, yay! lol Man I miss mine, lol.

I am concerned about this animal possibly killing the deer fawns this spring. I saw it chasing a deer this morning. :-(

Marlton, NJ

Can you talk to the owners Rose?

Nanny here,lol! Rose is on the BW forum! (just kidding!)

I am considering that. I don't know them, but if I continue to see this beahvior in this animal I will.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Bear in mind that a lot of gardeners detest deer, and would be very pleased with any way of controlling their over-population!

Resin

Marlton, NJ

LOL sorry nanny!!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

If it is a dog, or a wolf-dog, it should be contained. Wolf dogs do not fear humans yet have the same "small" animal kill instinct. Even if it's a husky or a dog, in my area with livestock, it would be shot on sight. It should be kept at home for it's own and other animals' protection.

I am also concerned about my own little guy if this dog were to jump out fence. Our little 8lb. minpin would be a gonner for sure! And I would be one P***** off momma!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

That definitely is a big concern.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Jenks is right, they have a hightened prey drive and should be contained. I always kept Tez penned or at my side at all times. Dolly wasn't really a WD but I even kept her close. They escaped a couple of times and that was enough to give ya grey hair!!
good luck!

I know about the high prey drive! Our huskies had it too, and managed to get a couple of unlucky squirrels! That is why I am concerned about the fawns this spring. Most in the area I live in love seeing the deer and the wildlife is why mosy of us live here.

I would hate not being able to see this out my front window.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Awww! How sweet, Nanny!! I'd love to see that in my front yard too!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yard ok, street not so sweet. Rather see them "browsing" in the woods. Too dangerous for deer to be that close to houses.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.