tried my first long island cheese quash pie tonight

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

IT was horrid. It was also very stringy, the company I bought the seed from said, it makes the best pumpkin pies, thought i'd try it. Gosh, If that's pumpkin pie, i'm goin g to give it up.

Have you grown this squash, and has it beenstringy for you?

Also, was saving some seed off this particular one, and noticed alot of seeds were flat, empty sort of. I thought I picked all the squashes ripe, slipping from the vines . But seeds tell me I didn't. why are they all so flat? I got alot of full ones but more flat than full.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Do you think the flat seeds could be the result of insufficient bee pollination?

I too have seen catalogs list Long Island Cheese as good for pies, but Amy Goldman's squash book describes them as unacceptably fibrous and soapy tasting. They are handsome squash and I have wanted to grow them for that reason only--for display. I am sorry you had to find out in such a direct way that they are not good to eat. I always wonder if the people who write catalogs have actually grown half the stuff they describe. In this case, I guess not.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It was frustrating to have it discribed as good for pumpkin pies and it turned out like that.

I have no idea about the bees. I do know I never seem to have a shortage of them, I grow alot of herbs and mints and sometimes I can't even get close to them for all the bees.

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Butternut makes good pies. I have made many! A friend gave me a Long Island Cheese that they grew. I was not crazy about it either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.