Tropical Garden #3

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

It looks similar to my silver urn but not positive!!!

Jeri

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I would be interested in that name too.. I bought one similar...from a guys life time collection of bromeliads...this huge bromeliad, with the roots stuffed in this very very small pot....
I'm wondering what I should do for re-potting..for now I just stuck the whole thing in a clay pot to keep it up right...but didn't want to mess with it until I knew what to do... can it go in the ground?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Svplantingfool: I put in Knockouts for the first time last spring. We have world class humidity here, too. No sign of black spot.
Candela: I've never seen a shooting star hoya before. A more aptly named plant, I've rarely seen. :>

My A. Hilo Beauty is unfurling new leaves (in my bathtub).
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I left my Hilo beauties in the ground!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

RJ: This summer was the first time I had the Hilo, so I was being over cautious perhaps. Plus, Iove it so much, I didn't want to have to wait for it to grow back in the summer. Impatient, me. :)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

candela, look up aechmea (spelling?) or billbergia

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know what you mean..the first year I had it, it went to the green house..I had left it in the ground last couple of winters and it's produced a few pups...so that was my motivation..

This was a pup last year...I found that if you plant them right at the border of sunlight and shade..they get much bigger and showier...but no full sun..and no dark shade...pickies..at least in my garden.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I would so die for your garden.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You are so right, Mitch. Magic, pure magic.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

RJ: Ahh there it is, right next to my favorite plant that I haven't quite got yet. :) I may get braver next season.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

bbutt..but....Mitch...you DO have a wonderful garden!

Red Oak, TX

LouC, The knockout rose rush is around 10 yrs. old, I trimmed it into a standard to keep it out of the walkway.
Hibiscus that I also trimmed.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

candela, I have a few begonias and one variegated hoya. I am just now learning how to care for them. They are all in pots. This will be my 2nd year into retirement, so I will have lots of time to pamper them.
Sorry I do not know the name of your bromeliad. I have quite a few small ones. I especially like this hanging basket.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Texasbigleaves, Where are you? I have been getting D-mails about your variegated philo.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Homemade arbor, with pots fresh from the greenhouse (early spring)

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

last spring.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

I love hanging baskets. (summer)

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 10:47 AM

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

next.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

next

Thumbnail by prita
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

PRita, Lovely container gardens! That handmade arbor is quite beautiful, looks really sturdy too.
Deb, Thanks for your input on the knockouts too. I like the Hilo in the bathub!
Cathy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool
Red Oak, TX

early spring.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

last one

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

svplantingfool, Love your collection, you have quite a few bromeliads in the background.

Thumbnail by prita

Those stripes are beautiful! The broms are so easy down here, I love plants that look difficult but require no maintenance. I happened to check here on DG for nurseries near my zip code and found a fantastic bromeliad seller, so I was able to get some neat ones before Christmas. This one is my favorite.
Cathy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

PRita, one more question- how long do find the coconut lined hanging baskets last? Do the liners break down or does the metal rust first? I just started using them last fall and I'm wondering how well they'll fare through the summer rains.
Cathy

Vieques, PR

SV,

Our experience with them is that the metal frames last many years, the coco-net only one or two.

JPlunket, thanks! I really like the look of them, and noticed Lowe's had the liners on clearance the other day. Think I'll stop in and see if there are any left.

Red Oak, TX

svplantingfool, My biggest problem with them are squirrels. They take the coconut liner out for their nests, I have had these for some time, occasionaly covering the holes made from the squirrils. The wire basket would last at least 3 yrs. then I would just buy a new one and set the old pot into it. They cost around $8-$10. I would think that they might rust faster in Florida due to the salt air
J. Plunket, I bet that you have a lot of nice tropical plants in P.R. How about some pictures.? We would love to see some of your plants. rita

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

svplantingfool, I am a very slow on the computer and missed your new picture. WOW, I want one of those. It looks like a big ribbon. I am planning window boxes with broms. this year with lots of foliage color, less watering and of course, the unusual.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 8:06 AM

Thumbnail by prita

PRita, thanks for the squirrel tip! They are little buggers, digging holes in my potted plants (actually everywhere, come to think of it!) to bury an acorn or look for one.
Thanks for the compliment on the curled brom, it stood out amongst all the others (and there were tons) and said ME, ME! The owner described it perfectly- it looks like the ends have been put in a curling iron!

JPlunket, I second the request- pictures please!

Cathy

Red Oak, TX

DebinC, I hope that my Hilo beauty did not rot this time. Congratulations on your new leaf ,it is a beaut.
I made a good trade last summer for some alocasia macrorrhiza variegata and if they come back as good as they were last summer, I will send you a pup.
I am planning on replacing my caliadums with Hilo beauty, if I can afford to. The caliadums fizzled out around sept. and I have a lot of bare spots showing, with a couple months of growing season left.

Thumbnail by prita
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

You guys are tempting me to try Broms! In fact, I'm getting waaay too many ideas from this thread!
Placenciarita: You have some wonderful hanging baskets. Truly! ..and that arbor's very nice. (btw: ooh and ahh at the thought of the A. Mac. Var. ;-> )

I also have a problem occasionally with the squirrells pulling the planters apart for nesting materials. I've seen Carolina Wrens doing the same, but they do much less damage.

Deb

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

those hilo beautys are lovely. deb yours looks like it has a pink tint to it. wow. cathy those fuschia colors are mesmerizing.
you can get alot of great ideas here. especially those hanging baskets prita.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i have been cleaning out the back corner of my back yard for a pond. i now have a clean slate. oh the possibilities.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

before i started a couple months ago

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i am so excited this orchid is about to flower too

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i just noticed i have one lone angel trumpet flowering.

Thumbnail by candela

Candela, are those all flower spikes on that orchid? Have fun with your pond plannign!
Cathy

Vieques, PR

We just started planting last December, after too long a time in construction, which took moving a lot of earth around the house. So, we're just beginning to see things get going and fill in. But that said, here are a couple I hope you enjoy...first a "before" shot, of the patio we had just put in, to manage your expectations downward...

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Vieques, PR

...same view a month or so ago.

A lime tree on the left foreground, a Ylang-ylang in the middle foreground, and a hibiscus lower right, with some "lluvia" (firecracker plant) lining the wall.

The view through to the neighbor's at the end of the pergola is now blocked by three ficus longifolia (looks sort of like bamboo in this shot).

Thumbnail by JPlunket

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.