Tropical Garden #3

Red Oak, TX

Here is a picture of my pond.

Thumbnail by prita
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

placenciarita - that looks like tamarindo (sp?) to me.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pacenciarita: Adore the pond. Want one. Want one. ....
:)

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

OOhhhh, yes PRita, that is a gorgeous pond! I love the big grasses around it, it makes it feel so lush.

Deb, your A. lauter. looks really good!

Cathy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

looks like a poinciana of some sort, most resembling a pride of barbados type.
Cool pond! I want to put more rocks around mine, so I can't see the liner...

Yes Christi good idea, that would be fun..

aaah..the things we do for our plants!! My house is currently strewn with all of my seed containers, with seed packets lying all over every surface, and 2 seed trays on the living room desk. I'm excited to report that seeds sprouted in 2.5 days using bottom heat and a seaweed, B2, H202 solution.
The first round of planting are 25 different types of morning glories, of which 7 different types sprouted this morning.

Red Oak, TX

DebinSC, My lauterbachia rotted, did not know that the rain was seeping under the plastic, so yours looks pretty good to me.
summer picture.

Thumbnail by prita
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous Pond!!!!!!! Love it!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Placenciarita: My lauterbachia seems to be producing pups. If it makes it through the winter and it turns out it does make babies, I'd be happy to send you one!
Deb

Red Oak, TX

Mitch, I will have to look up tamarindo. This tree is about 30ft. tall, my mom had them planted all over the caye. I would like to find some seeds.
summer picture.

Thumbnail by prita
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sounds right and the pods look right to me... we had a few back in Poza Rica, VeraCruz and the best I remember they look like that.

Red Oak, TX

Rj, I thought that it was too early to start seeds. I better get busy and plant mine. I bought a few pink poinciana and some gloriosa lily seeds last month.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Mitch. It is a Flamboyant tree. I gave my mom a call. thanks

This message was edited Jan 24, 2008 7:35 PM

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

DebinSC, That is very kind of you. Maybe we can do a trade in the spring. Thanks

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

LouC , it will be very nice to have a visit with everyone, spring will be perfect. Sorry that you were allergic to the fern tree. I know what it feels like, but I wanted it so bad that I would wear gloves and sleeves when I would be around it. I will try to get another plant next spring.
my friend Maria.

Thumbnail by prita
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

For me it's the time to start seeds. I have noticed garden sites are saying much the same thing.
I'm thinking or more or less hoping...that feb is going to be a warm month here. There are signs of spring all over the place here..if you know where to look.. trees are putting buds..and in the matter of 3 weeks we all know how the weather can change into full fledged spring...so having 4 or 5 week old seedlings will be perfect.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes..and Christi..I'll probably bring a truck up with some plants for you..which means....that it will be empty going back....until I visit all you Red Oak folk...with the GIANT EARS...goodness those are big!!!
If I do come visit- Let me know what I can bring to Red Oak. Might as well make it count eh!?

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

beautiful pond. you have to give me some pointers because that is what i am trying to build in the back jungle
that is definitely a royal poinciana (or flamboyant). i have one in the front of the house they are gorgeous when they are in full bloom they look like they are on fire. this is one on the beach in Puerto rico.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

those ears look like they are about to say FEED ME SEYMORE and devour your friend (little shop of horrors)

Thumbnail by candela
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

placenciarita, do you happen to have an ID on the Billbergia you show here? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4444972

I have a very similar plant, given to me, that I'd like to know its identity. I have pictures here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/794747/

Thanks - Arlan

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Randy, plan on spending several days...no need to hurry. Details later, friend.
Another fantastic time to look forward to. (I know, don't end a sentence with a preposition). Hawaii coming up!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay...will doo!

Vieques, PR

rita,
I have been told that plant is a "false tamarind" --got a few in the yard. I had referred to them as flamboyan, but learned they were definitely not. Here's a pic...

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Vieques, PR

Well, I take it back --always took the name on faith but just did a little looking around and that's the wrong name. The False Tamarind, Lysiloma watsonii (et alia), is totally different and every authoritative source (half a dozen at least) seems to agree.

So, Rita, first, is the plant in my picture the same plant as in yours? Yours is a bit blurry, but clearly shows the leggy sort of growth habit mine all show, and the same kind of leaf.

Second, little help, who the heck knows what this is? Very common in Puerto Rico, similar color to the Flamboyan, but a much more delicate flower.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2008 12:52 AM

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

that one i call miniature pionciana.the military macaws love to eat the seeds of that.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Flamboyant tree - a new tree to, stunning!

Red Oak, TX

svplantingfool, Thank you for the nice comments about the pond. I am in the process of making it into one large pond insted of two. We are getting old and lazy and cleaning one pump is easier than two. I will also replace the hard plastic tubs with pond liner material, and try to make a better waterfall in the spring.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

candela, I am sorry that I missed you last night. It was a very pleasant surprise this morning to see your beautiful pictures. I love those flamboyant trees, they bring back such good childhood memories. I would like to try to grow one in my greenhouse.
Your picture of the chanille plant just put my puny little one to shame.
thank you.

Thumbnail by prita

PRita, one pump to clean rather than two is definitely understandable! When you transform it into one pond, it will have such presence, everyone will be drawn to it like a magnet!
Is that a rose bush in your post #4451506?
cathy

Red Oak, TX

atenkley, I am sorry that I do not know very much about that particular bromeliad. It was given to me for my birthday. He said it was called Queen's tears (billbergia nutans). I do know that it is very beautiful and easy to care for. It has bloomed twice in the last few months.
Here is another noid I found at Home Depot for $3 each. I am trying to fill this basket.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

JB Plunket, thank you for your reply. I do not think that the picture you sent is the same plant. I made a phone call to my mom in Belize and she verified that it is a Flamboyant tree.
I like your plant too, it might be a lot easier to grow. Thanks a lot. rita

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

svplantingfool, yes it is one of my many noid rose bushes I bought, when I used to buy plants because they were pretty and easy to care for. Now I always try to get at least a name, even on the mark downs.

Thumbnail by prita

It's absolutely lovely and looks like it requires no maintenance whatsoever, hopefully that's the case! I put a couple of Knockout rose in a few months back, I'm curious to see how they'll fare this summer. Blackspot is always such a pain here with the humidity.

Red Oak, TX

svplantingfool, I have quite a few knockout rose bushes. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

Thumbnail by prita
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Rita, so beautiful. Have never seen them more than 3' tall. How old are yours?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Jplunket you have a Pride of Barbados. Here is the link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2247/

Jeri

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

these are good old dependable b. odorata among my favorites
is that a banana peeking out from that sky vine?

Thumbnail by candela
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

P.S.
The queens tears bromeliad is a winter bloomer...so it's nice to have them around during the winter.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

this shooting star hoya is flowering now too.

Thumbnail by candela
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love those shooting stars are far as hoya..they are always blooming...!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

anyone know the name of this bromeliad.

Thumbnail by candela

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.