Plant Delights Nursery

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I just got my 2008 catalog today. Did anyone else? It has been cold, dreary, snowy, rainy for the past two weeks. Then today I get an exciting plant catalog in the mail and makes me wish for spring and planting season. What a great pick-me-up.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I got one yesterday also. However, I've already combed thru most of their online catalog with the new stuff...cause I'm sick like that. Normally it's a little over budget but I got a gift cert. for Xmas......just waiting for Spring.

If you've never visited I recommend going to one of their open houses, the place is beautiful

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I haven't visited because I just learned about the place here on Dave's Garden. The most ironic thing is my husband's best friend lives right across the street from Plants Delight. I mean you can actually walk out his front door, cross the street and your there. How funny is that! I have even been to this guys house and never noticed. I read they are having one of their first open houses in Feb. and i'm planning to go.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I've heard about this place from a co-worker. After reading this thread, I checked out the website and now have the Feb open house on my calendar.....
Barb

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I love the place, have been to a couple open house's, but my wallet hasn't quite recovered from my last visit... I do have a gift certificate that is just aching to get some use.

Jenny

Raleigh, NC

Beware!!! Only take what you can afford to spend!!! Leave that credit card at home!!! Self control fairly easy in Feb, but come Spring.....you will be overcome with "I wantas"...You've been warned!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I've mightily resisted temptation to visit PDN. The catalog and web site are draining my wallet regularly as is~! (I haven't got my catalog yet for some reason. Boooo!)
Deb

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Too funny Yotedog. I have been warned. Just looking at the prices in the catalog are enough to scare me. So I'm going to go with a budget in mind. I'll let you know what kind of self control I was able to hang on to.

Johns Island, SC

Good luck, melsalz!! Forewarned ain't necessarily forearmed...Too many plant delights in one place for a plant person to resist...I crater every time I go there. But the good news is, they stand behind their stuff. And the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. It's the real deal. Not a rip-off...

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Good advice Yotedog. If only I had any self control. But, I NEED that plant...

Jenny

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am going to be in the vicinity on the 22nd and it is killing me; I don't know if I have the discipline to go there or not. I really do not need any more plants; it would be nice if I could get the ones I have in the ground, but........

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome melsaltz...I'm originally from Mooresville, too:-) My family still lives there, but it's changed lots since I lived there...
Now, I live about 10 min. from PDN...It's a blessing and a curse (to my bank account, lol!).
Y'all come!
Bev

Oh Bev, that must be difficult. I would have to join PA (Plants Anonymous) if I lived that close. I have been trying to remember where Big Bloomers is, are they nearby too?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lol! Never heard of Big Bloomers, except....oh...never mind:-) Plants Anon...I need that already! My DH would sign me up in a minute!!

LOL, All I remember it was somewhere a bit south of Durham and they had many, many greenhouses. Almost too many to see and things were sort of jumbled in that there were all different sorts of plants mixed up. Ferns and succulents in the same house/bench. But their prices were great. This was a few years ago. Is there a town around there called Sanford? That keeps ringing a bell in my head.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh no, don't tell me about another place to go to while I'm in the Raleigh area. I'm already gritting my teeth thinking about the $$$ potentially spent at Plants Delight.

Bev: We have been in Mooresville since 2000, just as the growth was starting. Wow, at it now. I live on the NE side on a little 5 acre farm. We bought just in time.

Melanie

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

There sure is ardesia, thanks for the heads up. Had not heard of that place. Occasionally here, there's a local nursery that sells a few plants (not that many) PDN has for an unreal price, and huge plants. They have more basic perennials/houseplants/veggies too, very well priced. It's called Myers Nursery if anyone is ever in the W-S area

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

This is Big Bloomers. I've never been there but hope to someday.
http://www.bigbloomersflowerfarm.com/

That's the place. I was there only once and it was in late spring, perhaps that is why it was so jumbled. Maybe it is more organized before the hoards of customers come.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks ahelms for the Big Bloomers website. I noticed that they have Susan Campbell, a hummingbird expert come visit from time to time. I would love to go visit while she was there.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

You're so welcome. Maybe someday, we'll get there. LOL Ada

Johns Island, SC

Uh oh! Where exactly is this place, ahelms? ("Central North Carolina" is a pretty big area)! Be aware you are an "enabler" for a "plantaholic"... Looks great! Like the way they've got it laid out (Plants for shade, Plants for sun, etc.).

Johns Island, SC

Good grief, Tropicana, it's in Sanford! Back in the day when I was a N.C. resident, Sanford was an itty-bitty sleepy little town about the size of Apex, where I lived. Now it can support an operation the size of Big Bloomers? My, how times change! Told you I was a techno-weenie...I searched all over that site trying to find out where it was actually located, and never did figure it out. Thanks!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL, anything for you. I haven't been thru Sanford in a few years, but it's probably grown. Apex sure has grown, I wouldn't quite call it an itty-bitty town anymore

I am wondering when the rhodos that have had buds on them for months are actually going to break open. I know they bloom in early spring, but they've really been hanging out awhile

Johns Island, SC

You can grow Rhododendrum in Clemmons? My all-time favorite plant! Expect hate -mail shortly!! The ONLY thing I miss about my northern roots are the Rhodies and Kalmias, and I've tried everything to coax them to grow here in the low country. They don't want any part of it, so I've (finally)given up. But I still love those things! Post a picture sometime to REALLY rub it in! I guess zone-stretching can go both ways, no?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I was really smart and decided to plant a bunch in August last year after a summer with no rain. I lost one. Mine aren't worth bragging about (still little) but they're in pretty good shade and I did try to give them as much water as I could. I see other folks have them here.

If they ever bloom I will show pictures

It just has to be way too hot down there....maybe they like that terracotta clay...lol

Up around Boone the Rhodies bloom in June (and the rhyme was unintentional.) LOL

As I recall Sanford was still a sleepy place and BB did not have their plants arranged like they said they do - just sort of - all kinds of plants were mixed everywhere. But, the prices were good a few years ago, hope they still are.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

after looking at the site I may may to stop thru there, looks like they have a really wide selection

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

So...the Rhodies in Boone bloom mainly in June. :)
Tropicana: I tried 1 Rhodie. First year, bloomed fine, next year, 1 little clump of bloom, currently no buds. I think Stono's right. They just don't seem to like it down here in the Low Country.
Deb

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

My Fair Deb! YR killing me here!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Couldn't resist. ;->

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd never heard the rhyme but I think I recall them starting a little earlier in Cullowhee....but then I was in college and can't vouch for many memories there.

Sorry you guys can't grow them :( they're probably my favorite evergreen.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Between you and tropicanna....My ribs hurt. Too funny! I need a nap:->>

It's from My Fair Lady...you know, the elecoution (spelling ignored) lesson song...singing badly...The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain...!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 11:17 AM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tropicanna - if they bloom in May in Cullowhee, then I'm at a loss for a rhyme there! LOL. I hope you'll post photos of yours, but not to worry, we have lots of azaleas. :)
Deb

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Yep, rhodies HATE it down here in the lowcountry. I'm surprised yours lasted that long before committing suicide.

I bought one of the little fuchsias from PDN last year that's supposed to be more heat tolerant. I'm a world class fuchsia killer, so I'm hopeful.

Jenny

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Jenny: I admit I don't feel that responsible for the Rhodie's demise, but I bet my record for killing bougainvillea could compare favorable with your fuchsia-side. :->
Deb

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Really Deb, are they hardy there? I can't believe I got mine to even grow when they got here they were hardly twigs with a tiny piece of rotted root.....and they are beautiful now, blooming like crazy in the GH

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I just can't keep 'em past one summer. Must be genetic.
But - now that you mention it T, I haven't tried one since I set up my little GH. Hmmm. Giving me ideas. (Oh no! Stop her before she kills again!)

Ahhhh, the magic word - GH.

Bougies are fickle for me and Jenny - you have competition, I am a fuchsia killer too. I keep trying the heat tolerant ones and they keep laughing at me as they die.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.