January Daily Weather, Chilly everywhere!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, Clerkie, take care and stay warm!

(Zone 3b)

Just spent some time catching up~~lots of winter happening down there; take care.
Hope to get back on track, but not yet, it seems.
-4° ~ clear in some places; fog in others; ice fog and on and on ~~~~
Love little JW's sweetness~

Thumbnail by kiska
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Adina, the bunnies are doing fine now. Thanks for asking! The big bunny somehow managed to miss getting this last flu. The rest of us are really tired of sniffing and coughing, but aren't contagious anymore. I dreamed about blowing my nose last night until I finally woke up enough to stagger to the bathroom and actually did it. (That was more than you wanted to know, I'm sure! LOL)

Sharon, I haven't forgotten your DVD! It should be in the mail tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. I've been SOOOO slow this winter...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Read all about the Ding Dong Daddies of Dumas right here (it was a song):
http://www.ci.dumas.tx.us/legend.htm

Sharon, that was awful about the guys dropping your MIL. Poor lady--as if she wasn't suffering enough!! :o(( Prissy is hilarious!
Bev: 10 inches of snow!! Yikes, indeed!
Marylyn: LOL about your dream!!
Interesting pic, Kiska. I can't enlarge it right now or I will lose my post. I'll go back and look at it in a minute.

Here is what I found peeking up through the mulch on Monday. I think these are grape hyacinths.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

24* and flurries. Rushing thru my threads.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

wow, thx for the link. apparently there are a few songs with DDD in the title... just when i think i've heard it all LOL

sunny here, but cold wind outside... every-body cooughing but me, so far...

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Well it is dark & cold, with freezing rain predicted.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Nice weather today - sunny and no wind. I pulled some weeds.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 31, 2008
61 °F / 16 °C
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 30 °F / -1 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SSE

Aloe ferox

Thumbnail by Kelli
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

MySharona, Marsue, the lampshade is on the horse's head. I walk pass that office furniture store very often- it's near my house. The thing, which is quite noticible is, what I checked on the wall of that building. There was a memorial table saying, that Ivan Turgenev lived in that building from 1856 to 1860. (if any bells sound).

Joey, TamaraFaye, I just remember myself tormenting my parents soooo badly in my childhood years with all the colds and the respiratory infections, and stuff, which I used to catch in those years.Wow. But now, in my elder years, I'm really GREATFULL to my parents! I simply don't understand what all that colds, flues, RSV etc. are for many years. Maybe, because I excersise a lot and practice contrast water procedures. I've always respected my Mom's advices!!!

Deb, thanks for the beautifull garden violet pic. I was educated what it's called by my Mom.

MySharona, I also like suculents! Cool pic tracing the plant in the progress.

Maryltn_TX, do you grow banana in TX? People do grow those in Sochi, but mostly for decorative purposes.

Pep, I pray you have finally safe roads and some better weather!

Clercie56, let it snow! It's winter!

Adina, love your pics! I'm discovering Romania, at last! I do vividly recollect your wonderfull gymnast - Nadya Kimanechi!

Kiska, your frozen window patterns are a winter work of art! I get nostalgic of the real Ural winters of my childhood.

DragonFly 62 thanks for a real winter snow pic!

Billyporter, I'm trying my best to get you know about the wonderfull country, where I live!

Kelli, thanks for sharing!!! I think your propoganda was even worse. We had all the historical buildings been real cared about during the Soviet period. The story about the lake Baikal real excites me. You had good Geography classes, and you made good preparation for the lecture back then.

Well, SPb weather is boring as it ever was with
33.8F
Quiet
Clear skies.
The Sun is on the way to Spring.

Posting my water color from my young archeologists expedition of Hermitage. That was in Smolensk region.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2008 7:40 PM

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Joey, my answer for the trivia is C :~)

Nice picture, George.

Back on Saturday I posted a picture of a trail that was running with water like a creek. This is what it looked like in July. (Slightly different angle but the same general area)

Thumbnail by Kelli

This was the pond in May. In my picture from Saturday, you'll see that it's full now.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2008 5:12 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.dumasar.org/DingDongDays/DingDongDaddy.htm

TF – I hope you get some warm weather over the weekend!
Bev – That’s a cute frozen squirrel!
Clerkie – Hope everyone makes it home before the snow starts piling up. Stay warm.
Adina and Kiska – Beautiful pictures!
Marylyn – LOL! You’ve been sick! Send it when you get a chance and don’t push yourself!
Marsue – Thanks for the link! I love it! LOL! Isn’t it too early for the hyacinths – or is it too late? I’m pretty clueless on them!
Dyson!!! Welcome back! We’ve missed you! How is work going?
Kelli – That’s gorgeous – is it in your yard?
Yuri – Yes – He wrote Fathers and Sons. Thanks, it’s the first time WG has bloomed, so I’m really excited to see it progress. Nice water color – you’re good! Do you still paint?

55.9 °F / 13.3 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/hfrom the NNW
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa(Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 700 ft / 213 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Low 56. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the south after midnight. We're already lower than the low!

taken yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

Thanks, and yes, the Aloe ferox is in my yard.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thanks for the "warm" wishes. an inconsolable baby likes pictures on the pc. this thread is getting long i have 1.5 broadband & still slow to load... but alas, tomorrow is Febrauary, YEAH!

I SEE DYSON IS BACK, I'VE BEEN WONDERING WHAT THE TERM dYSON dARK REFERRED TO... sorry bout the caps lock, Orion dozed off in my arms & i wasn't watchng the screen.. he's not feverish so i'll hold him upright for his nap so he can breathe. we usually don't get sick here, but we were sharing our home with another family, & they brought crud in after visiting extended family & friends... we try to eat healthy & exercise. when a virus hits you can't do much to make it srtop ;-(

artwork is beautiful too...!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

George: Pretty watercolor. I googled Ivan Turgenev and came up with this:
"Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev (Russian: Ива́н Серге́евич Турге́нев IPA: [ɪˈvan sʲɪrˈgʲeɪvʲɪtɕ turˈgʲenʲɪf]) (November 9 [O.S. October 28] 1818 – September 3 [O.S. August 22] 1883) was a Russian novelist and playwright. His novel Fathers and Sons is regarded as one of the major works of 19th-century fiction. . . .
Shortly after his death, Turgenev's brain was weighed at 2,021 grams, a world record for largest human brain size."

Sharon: grape hyacinths are usually the first bulbs to make an appearance in our area--usually in February. Another pretty sunset.

Kelli: pretty Aloe ferox. Your other pics just prove that you never know what the next season will bring!

Tonight: Snow showers this evening. Becoming partly cloudy later. Low 28F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
Tomorrow: Sunny skies. High 44F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Woohoo! Marsue has G. Hyacinths coming up. Yay. :)
Joey: Trivia answer is C - dog star. To answer your question, we are getting more regular rain now, but are still finished the year at about 8" below normal.
Sharon - I like your white ghost! I'm going to start paying more attention to suculents, I think.
TF - I sure hope your little ones are feeling much better soon.
Ric - If it had been me, the can lids would've stayed in the driveway and I'd have gone back to bed.
Kiska - I love your icy window formations. We never get those here.

54F and very cloudy. Rain and wind predicted over the next 18 hours or so. Low tonight is sposed to be only 51!! Weeee! Sping's coming.

All of you in the north and mid-west who are going through this nasty storm, stay warm and safe and I hope it goes away quick!!
Deb

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

George, I'm enjoying all the pictures from your side of the world too. Oh my gosh, the horse is fantastic!! I love the light reflecting in the street.

Sharon, I just shake my head over everyone's weather. I think Pepper summed it up best for all of us with ''we had four seasons in one day.''

Marsue, so glad you had power. Lovely blooms.

Deb, that's the prettiest pansey!! It looks so much like a butterfly!

Thanks Kiska, I feel like I could walk right into the woods. (I see a black billed swan in the lower right : ))

Pepper, the storm is here. I'm glad you have a place to ''crash.''

Ric, at least they froze down before the could blow away : )

TameraFaye, the stove sounds nice. We heated with coal then wood when I was growing up. No heat beats wood heat.

Seeds, that's a bad wind.

Marsue, such a gorgeous bloom. Does it have a scent?

Joey, stay warm! and stay inside!! I hope you don't get ice! My cork came from a woman I used to clean house for while she was in the nursing home. I also have some of her old yellow iris that my Dad got from her. I'm so glad JW is OK. What a scare! What a cutie!! I'll guess C.

Oh Sharon, so sorry for your MIL> That's terrible! I'll bet the EMT's felt horrible. Smile, we had a 40% chance of snow. It's about 1/2'' deep now. 1'' to 3'' total. Beautiful Ghost!

Marsue, Crazy indeed! Mom loved Don Juan, but it's not hardy here. She have Blaze instead.

Marylyn, tornado for you too! Stay safe!!

Dragonfly, you are going to get it so much worse than us. You have my sympathy!

Clerkie, laughing over your ''old'' grandaughter. What a nice visit!

TameraFaye, it's hard to have everyone sick.

Kelli, enjoy the cool weather!

ROTFL!! I can definately hear the snort! Hilarious!!

TameraFaye,I'm Roaring with laughter!!! It didn't work!

Dragonfly, somebody better thaw out that squirrel!!

Clerkie, I hear you. I like storms, but want everyone to get to stay home during them.

Adina, I love the color peeking thru.

Kiska, that is a beautiful window!! So delicate!

Marylyn three cheers for blowing!! We've all been there : ))

Marsue, I love grape hyacinths!

Dyson, sounds like everyone is getting a winter night.

Kelli, if I could just pull one weed I'd be happy! Wow, aloe blooms are something else!

George, I envy anyone getting to live there! I find your country beautiful. I love the detail on everything! Your painting is very interesting. I'm not sure what I'm loking at, but I love how the yellow glows. (I wasn't very good in geography or history.)

Kelli, that's a neat trail. No pond. That's so sad.

Sharon, clouds instead of fog and grey, Yayyy!

TameraFaye, careful hugs for Orion!

Marsue, that's interesting! (Ivan.)

Thank you Deb!!

I'm all caught up : )) I'm dialing up slow too.

Billy, the pond is full now. There is joy at Rocky Oaks park!

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, it's quite a nice pond when it's full! I like the pines standing at the top. I'm assuming there's a town or buildings up there.

I don't know why my computer is so slow tonight. Especially on a new thread. I hate dial-up! It took me forever to catch up.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

25 dgrees now and about threeinches of snow so far. It is supposed to come in heavy later tonight. That squirral thaws out in the spring LOL. Here is a pics I got today

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

I love the cardinals! I wish we had cardinals out here.

Billy, the "pines" are Italian cypress, but I wouldn't expect anyone to know that. Pine is close enough. There is a mroad along there and those brown things, I think, are shipping containers. There is some construction going on over there up the hill from those things. You can see it on the upper left in this picture. It's looked the same for months, so I don't know what is going on. I guess it's going to be a house. It will be a huge one.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dragon, they are beautiful. I took this picture last year right after one flew away!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW dragonfly62 you got a triplet of Cardinals. Beautiful. We had wind gusts to 50 mph yesterday which tore a diamond shaped patch of shingles off a 10 yr. old roof. Today my son came to see me and a hammer, shingle nails and a tall ladder had all repaired in about an hour. Aren't kids great? I have been searching for a good weather day to go the Harrisburg - about 45 miles south to get stuff I can't get up here in my little town. Since my son was coming to visit and repair the roof today I made a batch of home made spaghetti sauce and spaghetti and baked a cherry pie and some chicken for his lunch.

It is really a blessing to have someone to call and help out in a situation like this. We are both retired. If we call a roofing company (1) they cannot do it for 4 or 5 weeks, (2) their charges are out of this world. This is hard to accept for us oldsters who were always used to getting out the ladder and doing it ourselves.

My husband is 81 yrs. old and doesn't realize that crawling around on ladders and the roofs(which he did all his life) is not an option now. I asked him today if he wanted to live the rest of his life in a wheelchair and not be able to ride his motorcycles. Talked him out of doing it himself. You need to use psychology with 81 yr. old husbands. Bless their hearts!

We are scheduled for Freezing rain and sleet throughout the night until about noontime tomorrow. Guess my trip to Harrisburg, will have to wait until next week.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, ahhh, I should have guessed arborvitae. I would have been closer. I guess it is going to be huge! What a view tho! Are those ducks in the pond?

Seeds, that's a great kid! That's a great lunch! Take care with this weather!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

In a rush as there are fire trucks by my neighbor's house.
Not them though.... so I'm curious....

a low pressure system will lift northeast across the ohio valley
tonight into friday. as it does...precipitation will develop and
spread northeast across the area during the evening hours. the
precipitation will begin mainly as freezing rain. the freezing
rain may be mixed with snow and sleet at times. the freezing rain
may be heavy at times with significant ice accumulation around a
quarter inch possible before changing to rain late.

Looks like we get just a taste of IL's weather.

BBL
Ric

They are ducks - ring-necked ducks to be exact. They're fairly common around here in the winter. I was surprised that they found the pond so quickly.

One more view of the pond. Yeah, I like the pond.

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The worse of the storm skipped me and my job by 15 mintues east and south. We only got a dusting to an inch around here.

Currently: 25°F Mostly Cloudy
Currently: -3°C Mostly Cloudy
Wind: North at 9 MPH
Humidity: 86%
Dewpoint: 21°F
Barometer: 30.06 inches and
Wind Chill: 15°F
Wind: North at 14 KPH
Humidity: 86%
Dewpoint: -6°C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and
Wind Chill: -9° C
Sunrise: 7:26 am
Sunset: 5:39 pm

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, I like the pond too. I like that view of it. Is it close to your home or are you hiking?

Pepper, I'm glad you're safe! It's still snowing here. We have 24* and close to an inch. It has ice in it so if the sun shines tomorrow it will be sparkle city!

The pond is at one of the places where we go hiking.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's nice to look forward to it!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kelli – I’m so glad the pond is back! I like the pond too! That’s going to be a large building! Wonder what it will be. Post more pics, so we can watch it’s progress.
Bev – Awww, your cardinals are so pretty!
Sally – I love your cardinals too! I had one fly past me yesterday morning and lit on the bird feeder about 2' from me. I guess it didn’t see me. I said “well, good morning” and then it flew away! What is the little brown bird? I can’t tell.
Se_eds - I’m coming to your house for lunch! Sounds delicious! That’s so sweet of your son to come up and help. That’s they way it’s supposed to be! Thanks for the heads up on the retired husband. Mine is 46 and he still thinks he 18 (doesn’t surf, thinks he can, then gets hurt). Stay warm in the cold wet weather.
Ric – Hope everything is well at your neighbor’s house. Yesterday I spoke to a woman from Cleveland, she said it was 0* there. Brrrrrrrrrrr!
Pepper – Glad the worst part of the weather missed you. It sounded like it was going to be really bad yesterday.

Here is the new February thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/809244/

This message was edited Feb 1, 2008 5:43 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.