January Daily Weather, Chilly everywhere!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joey you are of course in our Thoughts here!
Good Luck!

Kelli we fly over Wrightwood every time we come into L.A. during Christmas.
As it's usually at night it makes for a stunning sight.
Man I hated to hear about that tragedy there.

Love those shots!!!
How low is the snow in the mountains around Tijunga?

The Cincinnati Arch is world know in the Fossil Trade.
Basically the area streched and formed a rift millions of years ago.
This allowed the ocean to come flooding in.
Then as the mountain building started it was thrust upwards pushing it past the existing strata.
Then during the ice ages it was scraped off and water runoff cut deep valleys into it.
So now it's just meters below the surface in most places.
When they built the HWY's here they cut deeply into the Arch in many places.
So we can just drive up and "Fossil".
I'll get some shots of the rocks we have in the yard.

30° (Wind Chill 21°) currently Sunny and going for above 40!
55 Tomorrow!!!!

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone!
Joey: Keeping you and little JW in our prayers.
Adina: Your DD must be the most stylish gal on the slopes! She's very cute.
Kelli: Enjoying your pics as always. Hope that "unstable airmass" doesn't do damage.

...and yes, wonder where Rann is?

47F on its way up to a high of 60! Yahoo! Finally a normal high temp. One more light freeze tonight and then they are predicting "normal" the whole week. (Highs near 60 and overnight lows round 40.)
Sunny day.
Deb
PS-everybody likes suet..

Thumbnail by DebinSC
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Poor JW! He's in my prayers, too.

Ric, I don't know how low the snow got behing Tujunga. I saw the snow when we were out yesterday and it was a lot lower than usual. If I must guess, I'd say around 6,000 ft. There was also snow on the mountains of Ventura County. Snow only lasts there (the peaks that are visible from Agoura, Thousand Oaks, and such) for a few days at a time. Here is a nice picture in Orange County. http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&handle=mauidave&number=83&album_id=18&thumbstart=0&gallery=#slideanchor

We got 2 inches of rain overnight. There is some misty rain right now and it is windy. They say there could still be some heavy rain yet today. (BTW, the state slogan is "Eureka", not "When it rains, it pours".)

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 27, 2008
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
55 °F / 13 °C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 48 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

52°
Wind: SW at 16
Humidity: 44%
Dewpoint: 31°
Pressure: 30.08 in. falling
Sunrise: 7:29 am
Sunset: 5:33 pm

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yes, prayers and healing to Joey and family. looks like we've got it here too...

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It is 56 degrees here. I don't beleive it ,but supposed to have rain the next two days and then 30s again. It will probably storm. BEV

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Joey, prayers going up little JW and for the family, too.
Deb, I love the bird shots. We have cardinals and snowbirds at our feeder but no goldfinches or little woodpeckers. :o(( I miss them. sniff, sniff We also have several pair of mourning doves. They scratch on the ground beneath the feeder and get the seeds dropped by the others.
Kelli, as usual, your outdoor photos are great.
Adina, your DD has cute dimples, too! What a smile!
Ric, how's the kitchen remodel coming along?
Sharon, love the flower pics, too.

Our forecast for the next couple of days sounds like a repeat of yours, Deb. I'll certainly take it!!

Current conditions as of 2:55 pm CST

Fair
Feels Like: 49°
Barometer: 30.27 in and falling
Humidity: 58%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 34°
Wind: ESE 7 mph
Sunrise: 7:10 am
Sunset: 5:31 pm

(Zone 3b)

Minus 3° and climbing from the low of minus 9. Sunny and bright.
Highs zero to 10 above. Light winds.
Lows 5 below to 5 above. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph.
So far behind today; just a quick get well soon to JW and Adina/family. How are you Marylnn? And, also wondering about Rann.
Love seeing all the water/flowers on your hike, kelli. Sorry for the loss of life in the avalaches, too.
MySharona~alpenglow doesn't happen in the summer; the sun is too high above; it's the low light of winter that really lights up the mts.
Good luck w/warmer weather, Deb..
How about some frost till then~~

Thumbnail by kiska
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi everyone!
We had some snow yesterday.
26.6F
The skating rink on the Palace square near my house.
Kiska, I also had my camera freezing (I did't charge the acumulator for long).
Adina, it's very surprising, that you studied Russian at schools in Romania! I didn't know about that.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

My trivia for today.
What has the highest content of vitamine C?:

a) Lemon
b) Unripe walnut
c) Black-currant

I have no clue but I'll choose walnut. :~)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

wow, what a skating rink, and love those ice crystals!

i am gonna go with black currants, cause thye sound like the healthiest choice. so curious think i'll go google...

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

George the answer is D. a Jalapeno Chile Pepper.
I too am praying for JW and Joey. It's so scary when they are tiny.
Thank God he's breathing on his own again.
We made it back to Jax okay. Nice drive on a sunny but cold day.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

KG~I'll choose Black currant. Love the skating rink; do you skate?
Welcome back, Sugarweed. Glad you had a good trip home.Where to next?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

21° heading for 51° .
Then a bit of rain and a Low tonight of only 43° .
Mid 50's tomorrow.

Our temps go up....Kiska's come down.... lol! (sorry)

Man that looks like a cold skating rink Jorgi.
Ours are all indoors. Not as pleasing to the eye but......

We got the upper cabinets installed in the Kitchen.
Because we have to either rebuild or modify each one it's taken a while longer than we figured.
But now it's finish sanding and paint.
Off to the lowers next weekend.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Adina – I hope you and family feel better soon too. Your daughter is beautiful!
Deb – Great bird pics! Glad you are getting a part of the warming trend – we are too!
Marsue – We have a whole flock of the mourning doves that come by several times a day.We also have several Cardinals, Carolina Wrens, Titmouse, etc. I get tickled with the mourning doves when eat while lying down!
Kiska – Your picture looks like a decoration, very pretty.
Juri – I’m going with A- lemon
Sidney – waving from Fernandina! Glad you made it back to town safely.
Ric – The cabinets are looking good!

39.6 °F / 4 °C
Clear
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 24 °F / -4 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Today
Mostly sunny. High 60. North winds 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon.

Prissy and Sylvester snoozing last night.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: give Prissy and Sylvester my sympathy --they have such a hard life! LOL
Those cabinets are looking good, Ric.
George, is that the Winter Palace behind the skating rink? I'll also go with C for the answer to your trivia question.
Kiska: another gorgeous photo and another one which I am saving!

Today: Cloudy and windy. Slight chance of a shower late. High 59F. (Did y'all see that? 59º!! WOOHOO!!) Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.
Tonight: Rain showers early then thundershowers overnight. Low 53F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

(Zone 3b)

11° Dark 7:30am
Sunrise: 9:30 Sunset: 4:49 Gain of 5m17seconds today;.
Snow accumulation less than 1 inch. Highs in the mid teens to lower 20s. Northeast wind 10 mph. Local gusts to 30 mph in the morning.
Ric~ the cabinets are looking good; I like the lights, too. Will try some dessicant packets in camera bag. Thanks.
marsue~thanks, glad you liked the pic.
And, speaking of liking photos; Prissy and Sylvester are so cute; except for the north winds, your weather looks ok, too,
"Tribute to Seniors" night at the hockey game; my gson/daughter; the fog machine was in full force; made for foggy photos. (Palmer won the game. They're going down to Homer, 400 miles, at the end of the hwy, on Wednesday; returning on Saturday.)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I rarely ever visit this site but roaming thru it this morning I thought you would all like to know how things are here in Calgary, Alberta.

This morning at 730 am the official temp was -32C with wind chill factor -47C!

At my house it is slightly (LOL) warmer at -25C!

Supposed to be like this most of the week . One of the dogs would not even go out into the yard, the other did come out with me when I went to shovel snow but in a couple of minutes she was sitting on the back steps waiting for me. ( They did go out earlier to pee/poop but did it pretty quickly) So we did not go for our morning walk!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Brrrrrrr, fancyvan!!!! Thanks for roaming thru. We hope you roam back soon. :-) Keep warm!

Mohawks are back, I see, Kiska. LOL I hope they have a great trip.

Joey, I'm praying for JW and all of you. I sure hope he recovers soon, poor baby. Thanks for letting us know, Sharon!

We're feeling a LOT better. We went to church yesterday morning and then had to take a nap in the afternoon. It was the first time I'd been out of the house for a week, and I was completely wiped out. Very pathetic! Hopefully on Wednesday I can start dancing with my friend again. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (21 min ago)
Temperature 68 °F 20 °C
Dew Point 61 °F 16 °C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 30.06 in 1017.8 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH 11 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160°
Ceiling 4600 ft 1402 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 52.0°F / 11.1°C
6 hour max temperature ending 11:53am CST : 68.0°F / 20.0°C

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

52* and mostly sunny.

The only rain we've seen today is snow melting off the roof. Tomorrow is supposed to be arctic air and blizzard like conditions. I'll believe it when it happens.

I've been out picking up sticks, and filling birdfeeders. It's perfect weather for sinus infections so I don't feel too bad for staying in the rest of the day.

Oh Joey, prayers for JW. How terrible!!! Poor little guy!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome, fancyvan, glad you popped in. Come back soon! After seeing your temps. I don't think I'll complain about our temps. today. LOL

Kiska, good pic of DGS/daughter. Is that the DGS who recently had a birthday?

Here's a link which someone posted on another forum. Maybe it will perk up everyone who is longing for spring!

http://www.wildlifefocus.org/

Sunny but windy and chilly. We got 1 inch of rain yesterday.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on January 28, 2008
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
53 °F / 12 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 33 °F / 1 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s

Thanks for your guesses! The answer for the trivia is B! The unripe walnut has 50 times more vitamine C than lemon and 8 times more than black-currant!!!
That's a real miracle tree!

We have
26F.

Here is the pic of Atlases ( the new Hermitage).

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Marsue – LOL! Our “children” are so spoiled! Were you able to get out and enjoy the temp change? Thanks for the link. I’ve never seen so many hummers in one place at the same time!
Kiska – It was a beautiful day today, a little nip in the air, but no complaints from me! Congratulations on the win! Go Moose! LOL! Great picture!
Fancyvan - WOW and Welcome! I don’t blame your dog’s one bit. I would go outside either for anything!
Marylyn – So glad y’all are getting better. I still have a sore throat and sniffles, but for the most part it’s all gone. Seems like this stuff just won’t go away.
Juri – Need to eat more walnuts – just not sure if I want them if they aren’t ripe! Great picture! The architecture is just beautiful.

48.0 °F / 8.9 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 28 °F / -2 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy frost after midnight. Low 40. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the south after midnight.

Taken today at lunch

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona, the the unripe walnut smells like medicine. It contains too much iodine. I also own some land near Krasnodar, and I've got a lot of walnut trees on that land. Once I came over there in the end of the summer. I've noticied a lot of green stone-fruit on the walnut trees, so I decided to taste those ( I knew those must've been good for health). You can emagine the impression on my face after I cut those with the knife...Oh wow, I thought I'm in some surgery. Lol.
But recently, while my vacation trip to my Sochi lands, I was communicating with my good neighbors. And I was offered a sip of liqueur made of walnut membranes. That stuff has some real impact...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

48° (Wind Chill 44°) almost there w/ Kelli!
Raining, T-Storms tomorrow then Yikes!
Back to a high Weds of 31° then up to mids 40's thru the weekend.
Can you say Yo-Yo.... lol!

Fancyvan I've worked outside at -26 F..... forget that wind chill!!!!
YOUR DOGS HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA!

Here's a shot from the backyard.
This is some of the Fossil Rock (Limestone) we picked up beside the HWY.
NOT for the fossils just for building up the planting beds.
We'll go Fossiling here in a few weeks.
The freeze/thaw really brings them tumbing down.
Some bigger than our car!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

I can't believe I got the trivia right. lol. Go figure.

temps in the 50s.

wind advisory in effect from 8 am to 6 pm cst Tuesday
The NWS in kansas city/pleasant hill has issued a wind advisory, which is in effect from 8 am to 6 pm cst tuesday.
A powerful arctic cold front will slam across the region early tomorrow morning. Winds will shift into the northwest and increase abruptly with the passage of this front, averaging 25 to 35 mph with gusts of 40 to 50 mph possible.
Temperatures will plummet during the day, with wind chills falling to between zero and five below zero across northern missouri by nightfall. In addition, a band of snow will affect much of the region during the late morning and early afternoon hours. These strong winds will produce significant travel problems as blowing snow may reduce ground visibilities to less than one half mile at times. Persons should use extreme caution, especially along interstate 35 where cross-winds will be maximized. Loose outdoor objects should also be anchored.
A wind advisory is issued when sustained winds are forecast to be 30 to 40 mph, or gusts ranging from 45 to 57 mph are expected. Winds of this strength may cause minor property damage without extra precautions. Motorists in high profile vehicles should use extra caution until the winds subside.

Ric, you are sooo lucky to have those fossils on your soil! I mostly find mine on the beach...

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well the weather people pulled a fast one on us yesterday. Ovenight was supposed to be mid-30s and it was nice and sunny yesterday, so I uncovered the plants. Woke up this morning and it was 29 and a thick frost on the ground. Grrrr.

They also delayed our warming trend as it's going to freeze again tonight. Sigh. After reading the temps in Alberta though, I should just quit my griping! LOL!

I hope all of you who are feeling poorly start to perk up soon!
George: Those are amazing columns! Huge!

I was over in Beaufort, SC today for work, and took a lunchtime stroll. I noticed this little side-yard.
Joey I took this one for you because this yard was full....really full.. of ferns.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Pep, you have a tough winter state, since I had known it from my childhood!

LOL. We can't win here in MO. We get everything. Even dust storms that come from down south.

Anyways, your beautifull park beats anything!!! Providing, there work such good people as you!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 10:48 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I uploaded a few fossil shots from the yard rocks.
These are from stepping stones and raised beds mostly.

Here's a shot of the Arum...
It came thru the 3 degree temps a few nights ago perfectly.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MIL is from Missouri and growing up, for heat they had a wood stove in the kitchen and a wood stove in the living room, and that was it.

(Zone 3b)

http://www.adn.com/ This site has a front page pic of the avalanche hitting the state capital town of Juneau this afternoon.
Tonight:
Cloudy with periods of light snow or flurries. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows 5 above to 15 above. Light winds.
Deb~what a beautiful little yard you found.
Those fossils are fantastic,ric. Must be fun to dig and discover them. (or just find them)..
KG~would be a great find on the beach, I'd think. Fun for everyone to go beachcombing.
pepper~sounds like a winter weather report for sure; keep warm.

Juri – Just thinking about what the unripe walnut would smell like has me pinching my nose!
Ric – You could use the fossil rock for landscaping! I’ve never seen anything like it. The arum is gorgeous and obviously very hardy.
Pepper – Hang on! Sounds like you are in for a cold windy ride today.
Deb – Thanks for posting the garden picture – very pretty! Beaufort is such a pretty city.
Kiska – Thanks for posting the link – and the picture is great. The article didn’t mention anyone getting hurt during the avalanche. Does that happen often?

39.0 °F / 3.9 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 36 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa(Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Partly cloudy. High 70. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Niiiice! :)

I still have buds on the Christmas cactus. They may fall off though with the temperature change today. Heading to the polls after my shower this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

45° here at 6 AM going for the low/mid 50's by dark (the next dark...lol!)

Around here we use fossil rock for everything.
You can't help it if you get local rock.
There are though rocks and boulders brought down by the glaciers during the ice ages.
Makes for a fun mix sometimes.

These shots are some random rocks in the yard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157603811920898/

Ric

Right now it is windy and 50*. By 4pm it will be 21*.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! All! :D Thanks (all of you) for your thoughts & prayers. The "little critter" is back home! :D He is still on the steroid, "breathing treatment", & antibiotic, but sounds & obviously feels better! He goes back tomorrow for a check up.
It's still Dyson Dark for the moment, but due to get lighter at any time now! :D We have a temp of 35° w/ rain predicted for the day.

Kelli, I'm thrilled that you have gotten all of that rain, with no flooding! :D I saw a news cast on the avalanche...very sad. Love the trail pics! :D
Kiska, 'Hope that you figure out how to keep your camera from freezing! :-O
Deb, Love the birdies at the feeder! :D
Sidney, Glad that you had a good trip, but glad to have you back at the house. :D
Ric, Your cabinets are really shaping up! :D And look at those fossils! I have seen a few like that here, but not very many.
Marylyn, Glad that you & everyone there is finally getting well! I would rather me be sick than the "kiddies".
Sharon, you are really getting good w/ your new camera! :D (did I say that, already?)
Rann? Where are you?
Dyson!? And where are You? Doing a lot of work? :D
Pepper? are you sending us another cold snap?

Well, I'll get back later...Thanks Again! :D
DH couldn't get up the hill for a little while...Alas! now the snow is gone!

Have a Marvelous! Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.