January Daily Weather, Chilly everywhere!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Dragonfly62, cool pic! How come it's that green in IL at this time of the year???

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Just one snow and that was in Dec. Bev That is a long needled pine which stays green.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I have a pic of a long needled pine with me ) under it in Dendrarium. I'll post it as soon, as I find it in my piles!

Kelli, here is that sponge fossil in the limestone wall of the 11-th century cathedral. Alas, I made it with my mobile phone camera.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2008 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone. I got waaay behind here!

50F now but headed to a low of 26 overnight. Again I say - NOT normal! C'mon springtime!
Clear and starry.
Deb

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

George, we have friends who used to teach in Krasnador. :-)

We're slowly getting better, although still not well. It's going to be in the mid 40s and rainy tomorrow - again. :-)

Kelli, I think it rains more at night because the air cools down. Hot air can hold more water than cold air. That doesn't necessarily explain why it rains everyday at 2pm in Florida though. LOL (Well, everyday except for the one day when I forgot to put sunblock on and since it didn't rain we didn't realize how late it was and stayed on the beach for an extra long time.. Ouch!!! But I digress...)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53pm CST (16 min ago)
Temperature 48 °F 9 °C
Dew Point 34 °F 1 °C
Humidity 58%
Pressure 30.35 in 1027.9 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir NE 50°
Ceiling 3700 ft 1128 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 44.1°F / 6.7°C

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone!! Have a connection so am gonna take advantage real quick.

First off it was below zero this morning. Wind chill was probably close to -10. Only got to the teens for highs.

Yesterday I was on my way to work and there was a car fire on this big hill. Had to turn around and take another 15 min to work. Found out that a guy who lives at the top was coming out and a car that was going too fast hit him from behind and the truck exploded. He had oxyaccedeline tanks on his truck. He had collasped lungs and just barely made it out alive. You could see the fire for miles. I don't know about the other driver. It was a very scary scene and they had emergency people coming and going for hours.

Don't know when I can get back on so see ya'll next time!

(Zone 3b)

Tonight
Snow. Snow accumulation 6 to 9 inches. Lows 5 to 15 above. Southeast wind 15 mph.
Snowing as I write.
Gorgeous, Bev.
Get well soon now, Marylynn
KG~glad you're enjoying the snowfall there.
Deb~you going to be ok w/cold weather:( ? Maybe it won't last long.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you Kisca

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, Kiska, if I grumble enough, I'll get through our teensy cold snap just fine. :->

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marsue – Thanks! I was so lucky to catch that sunset.
Kiska- That’s an amazing alpenglow picture! Love it!
Juri – I’ve never seen the laurel tree! It’s so pretty – and yes I do use the leaves in cooking. I bet that tree smells good! LOL!
Bev – The pine is beautiful. Didn’t see the moon on the 22nd, but last night’s moon was gorgeous.
Deb – LOL! It got cold here too last night! Brrr!
Marylyn- Glad y’all are felling a little better. I feel for you.
Pepper – What a horrible accident. So glad you weren’t around when it happened.

37.2 °F / 2 °C
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 17 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.39 in / 1029.0 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16

Today
Mostly sunny...breezy...cooler. High 51. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the early morning...then northeast winds 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Wind chills 24 to 29 inland in the early morning.

And the wind is chilly!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It didn't get too cold last night, about 18 degrees, but windy. Now the temp has shot up to 19 degrees and we have sunshine. It is supposed to really warm up today, maybe up to 34 degrees. Typical late January weather here, except we have no snow cover. My poor chilly daylilies!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We are not quite as cold as you are se_eds. It is 24º on my back porch right now.
Pretty pics: Sharon and Bev
George, that is an interesting fossil pic, even if you did take it with your phone!

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CST
Cloudy
Feels Like: 19°
Barometer: 30.54 in and rising
Humidity: 46%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 10°
Wind: E 5 mph
Sunrise: 7:12 am
Sunset: 5:29 pm
25°High: 33° Low: 28°

Today: PM Light Wintry Mix --High: 33°;Low: 28°
Tomorrow: High: 52°;Low: 32°

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Interesting fossil, George. Thanks for sharing.

We got 2.7 inches of rain yesterday and overnight. We've got 3.9 inches of rain in the past five days. That's more than we got all last year. That's how the rain is here, one extreme or the other.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 25, 2008
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
48 °F / 9 °C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 46 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SE

(Zone 3b)

10° Light out/ 9:45am. Heavy snow/about 10" on top of the previous.
Snow in the morning...then isolated snow showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Highs in the teens. Light winds.
Tonight
Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming clear.
Lows 5 below to 5 above. North wind 5 to 15 mph.
MySharona~so pretty; sounds like a very chilly wind.
se_eds~hope the daylilies make it through till spring.
marsue~love the forecast of "light wintry mix", that's a new phrase and really sums it up, doesn't it?:)
kelli~hope the "extra" rainfall makes it into the lakes/creeks and groundwater.
Taken moments ago; 9:50am, from indoors; the camera froze when I stepped outdoors.
Anyone else having trouble w/ Sony DSLR A-100 freezing at about 10° above? Very frustrating.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ha, Kiska--we rarely have 10º temps so I certainly couldn't help you with that question. Some of our friends in the "frozen north" will have to answer that one for you. That's a pretty picture, though. The kids around here would go bonkers if there was that much snow on the ground. LOL I noticed the other day that your daylight is increasing by several minutes per day.

Kelli, does that much rain make the canyon flowers bloom in your area?

No light wintry mix yet but I understand portions of the southern part of the state have ice. That's unusual for them but it just happened to be a cold front that brought moisture with it up across Texas and southern Arkansas.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

where is Joey? i am missing the trivia... but still loving all the pictures, and the diverse terrain...

tf

Se_eds – 18* falls under the “too cold” category for me! LOL!
Kiska – Pretty snow picture! I don’t know anything about your camera, but I found this site on the web. If you click on the “feedback” tab you can ask questions about the camera. It takes great pictures!
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

Kelli – That’s great news about the rain! I bet your plants (and you) are lovin’ it!

45.9 °F / 7.7 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 38 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 9.2 mph / 14.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.41 in / 1029.7 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft / 518 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of rain showers after midnight. Low 40. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

It's going to be a nasty day tomorrow. I'll have to cover the succulents before dark. It's not supposed to freeze, but the cold and rain will get to them.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2008 6:57 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Thanks, MySharona; will do check out that link.
The instruction booklet says it freezes at 0°; but I'm finding it at about 10.
That's quite an awesome storm cloud developing.
Yesterday's sunrise.

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
Anyone else having trouble w/ Sony DSLR A-100 freezing at about 10° above

Can't say I've had that particular problem, but I did ask my DH for ideas, cuz he's a pro-fessional photog. :) He has two possible solutions. 1) The problem could partly be condensation freezing when you go from pretty warm air, directly into the frigid stuff. Might try taking the camera outside and waiting to turn it on til it's been out there a few minutes. Freezing condensation could be gumming things up. OR 2) Place the camera inside a ziploc bag keeping air in it for a little layer of insulation right before you step outside.

Se_eds: It "shot up" from 18 to 19! LOL!
Sharon: Cool clouds.
Kelli - Congrats on your rain! Hope it means warmer temps in the east as your say. :)

37F on the way down to 28 overnight. Got the C9 lights on in my "greenhouse" and wrapped round my poor little Queen Palm. I truly hope we start to get "normal" weather soon. 37 should be our LOW. Brrrrrrr.

See? Grumbling again.
Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's cold but not as cold as yesterday. Had some snow this morning but no accumulation.

(Zone 3b)

Thanks, to both MySharona and Deb for the info.
I looked at the link and there's lots to see and read,or to ask a question.
Deb~ I like the idea of the ziplock bag; might just give it a few seconds more before freezing. Let your DH know I'll give it a try and thanks, too.
Sounds like you're ready for the cold weather w/ extra warmth for the plants, they'll love it:))
Tonight's forescast:
Scattered snow showers in the evening then clearing over night. Areas of blowing snow after midnight.
Lows zero to 10 above. North wind 15 mph becoming northeast 20 to 30 mph.
Gusts to 45 mph after midnight.
Another Alpenglow ~ couple years ago on Jan. 30th.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

28° (Wind Chill 21°) and Grey.....
Looks like the worst cold is over for at least 10 days.
Near 50° by Monday (or 56° if you watch another 'predictor' .... lol!)
Then back to slightly above Normal..... 40°

We have about 3 weeks of 'Winter' left.
Generally mid February sees the end of the super cold weather.
We still get occasional dips but nothing outrageous..... usually..... ;-)
Course this is when we do get our snow events.......

Kiska how much snow is on the ground there now?
On the camera...
It might be worth your while to get it cold lubricated.
Special oils are used to help the mechanisms work better in low temps.
Also I sure you know this but batteries drain very quickly in super cold.
Keep a spare next to your body in an inner pocket.

Like Deb says let it adjust also.
When I did a lot of cold weather shooting I'd take out the battery and let the camera sit outside for a few hours.
When driving I put it in the trunk.
Also at below teen temps watch breathing on it too much.
Your breath will condense on it in a heartbeat.
When I came in I'd wipe it down and put it in a box w/ moisture gathering packets.

http://www.multisorb.com/products/desiccants/packets/minipax_html

Well off to start some construction.
I did a favor for a neighbor Thursday night.
His truck had knocked out and I took him to pick it up at the repair shop.
He offered to take me to HD to pick up a load of OSB sheets for the roof.

I LOVE the fossil shots.
I'll have to get some pics of the ones here.
I'd love to trade fossils too!
Mostly Upper Ordovician strata here

http://drydredgers.org/thumb_by_bryozoan.htm

Cincinnati has the most best exposures of Upper Ordovician ( "Cincinnatian age") rocks in North America.

Ric

(Zone 3b)

Minus 5; dark but beautiful w/nearly full moon and stars/long shadows on the snow~ 7am.
Highs 5 to 15 above. North wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Big event at the hockey game tonight~ it's "tribute to seniors" on the team; our oldest gson being one. I've seen these tributes past years and always "chokes me up", tonight will be filled w/mixed feelings.
Ric~thanks for the many other ideas; and link. I'm bound to find one that works, at least above zero, thanks to the input from you all. I have noticed that a breath on the camera instantly films over the monitor.
There's about 18" snow at my location; less in Palmer where the wind blows; and several feet as you leave the "valley" floor and travel other places.
Kiska

Ric, are those fossil pictures all from the Cincinnati area? If so, that's pretty amazing to have so much in one area.

It seems like nothing around here is very old, and that includes the fossils. They are early Miocene (after the dinosaurs and before the Ice Age).

We got 0.4 inches of rain yesterday. It's not supposed to rain today until after dark. According to TWC, the last time L.A. got five days in a row with rain was in Feb. 2005. The rain should make for better wildflower showings this spring, as long as keeps raining at least once in a while up into March. Rain or no rain, though, it's a little early for wildflowers now. You'll get a few in February but it really doesn't get started until March.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 26, 2008
43 °F / 6 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 97%
Dew Point: 42 °F / 6 °C
Wind: Calm

Yikes!!!

2 miles ESE of Big Pines, Los Angeles County.

Avalanche, reported by broadcast media.

*** 1 fatal *** avalanche occurred near the community of
Wrightwood. One off-duty ski patrol officer was killed.
Two others were missing.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It is 40 degrees, windy and cloudy but is welcome after the below 0 wind chill the other day. Come on Spring!!! BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i agree, i am aching for Spring.

So sorry to hear about the avalanche, we pray the lost are found!

tf

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Those flowers make me ache for Spring, too, Bev.

So sad about the avalance and the one killed and the others missing. :o((

Kiska, I saved your Alpenglow photo touse as background. That is a beautiful pic!

Interesting link to the fossils, Ric.

Our high today forecast to be near 50º which is considerably warmer than the past two days! Low tonight 31º. It's gray and overcast here right now.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Currently 48F and damp, kind of misty. My toes are cold. Going to freeze again tonight. So BEV, I really appreciate your sunny yellow contribution today! I'll 3rd that motion for spring!

We have a primary today in SC and I went to vote and there was this poor college kid sitting outside in a lawnchair collecting exit-poll surveys for CNN. It was about 43 at the time and very damp and breezy. Poor thing. When there was a lull in the crowd, she'd run jump in her car to warm up. She was shivering when she handed me the survey. I asked and she said she has to be there the full 12 hours. She's a lifelong SC resident and was just about blue. :)

Kiska: Gorgeous alpenglow!

Feeders were popular this morning.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 26, 2008
63 °F / 17 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 35 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SSE

We went hiking. It was muddy. We expected that but we didn't expect to see so much water. This is usually just a dusty trail.

Thumbnail by Kelli

The pond was dry all last year. We wondered if there would be any water in it now. We figured that maybe there would be a few inches, but it was filled to its usual depth. Even the ducks were back.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Manzanita - last year the manzanita flowers froze.

Thumbnail by Kelli

milk maids

Thumbnail by Kelli

Chaparral current - this is usually the first wildflower I see every year.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Am enjoying your pictures Kelli. Isn't it great how lakes and ponds bounce back, even the fish sometimes. That looks like a great walk.
I'm in Hampton, Va and it is cold here.
I waived at you Debbie as we passed Summerville on our way up.
It's just 2 months and 4 days until april. Yea!! We can make it.
Headed back to Fl tomorrow and my DC is going back to Amarillo tuesday.
We've had a great visit.
Sidney

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I am so greatful for the pictures you are posting. Today started out with thick cloud cover - grey By noontime it was up to 25 and grey. For the afternoon and evening it was grey, but the temp is up to 29 deg. and only supposed to drop to 20 tonite. I mis seeing sunshine, but know that by about the 15th of February I will be out doing early cleanup. Just have to wait it out.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

24° and spitting a little snow tonight. It's supposed to warm up a bit--36° on Mon. and 40° on Tues. before falling back into the 20's and low 30's over the next week or so. I'm ready for Spring!

Nice pics Kelli. Are you going to get hit by that big storm that's moving into California? Tonights news said you might get a half years worth of rain in a couple of days.

Bev..........I like those double coneflowers!

Henry........Cool fossils! We have quite a few around here too but not the selection you have. A lot of the flat rocks I collect from area stream beds to border my flower beds are loaded with fossils. I'll run out and get some pictures. Right after the snow melts......and it isn't Dyson Dark!

I wonder where rannveig is?

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

E-B, we're supposed to get a downpour tomorrow. It started drizzling after dark.

... Potential for severe weather across the Southland later tonight
through Sunday...

A vigorous storm system in the eastern Pacific will spread heavy
rainfall... high Elevation Mountain snow... and strong winds to the
region tonight through Sunday. During the overnight hours... there is
the possibility of embedded thunderstorms that could produce very
intense rainfall rates... strong winds... small hail... and even a few
waterspouts.

On Sunday... a colder and more unstable air mass will move into the
Southland. This in combination with a strong subtropical jet will
increase the risk for strong thunderstorms. Some of these storms
could be locally severe... with the potential for damaging wind gusts
over 60 mph... large hail... and high intensity rainfall rates.
In addition... conditions will be favorable for waterspouts and isolated
small tornado activity on Sunday due to the potential for rotating
storms.

Kiska – Does alpenglow occur in the winter months only? It’s beautiful.
Ric – That’s a great link for the fossils.
Kelli – That’s awful about the avalanche. They are in our prayers.
Bev – Love the Spring picture!
Kelli – It’s so nice to see the water in the creek and pond! The manzanita is unique. I really like it. I always enjoy your hiking pictures. I hope you don’t flood. Keep us updated.
Se_eds – We were grey and chilly all day yesterday too. Spring is coming!
E_B – Great picture! Looking forward to your fossil pics.

44.8 °F / 7.1 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 38 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 43 °F / 6 °C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy in the morning then clearing and breezy. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 61. Northwest winds increasing to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

I received a d-mail from Joey:

"JW is sick & in the hospital with RSV (respirtory virus), which has caused his pneumonia. They have all been at the hospital since Thursday. He's slowly improving, but think JW still has a way to go. He is on a steroid, antibiotic, breathing treatments (every 4 hours), & a cough medicine. JW was on oxygen for 3 days, but he doesn't need it any more. Keep him in your prayers."

Let's keep them all in our prayers. Sending prayers and hugs your way Joey and family.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, guys! It's getting cold here, 40 today at noon, they forecasted a storm and snow for next week.
Sharon, thanks for the update on Joey ! I'll be praying for little JW to get well soon, poor baby! It's such a terrible virus going on , all over the world, seems they are stronger and stronger every year...ugh! We've all been sick too, with complications and fever for some of us, all over the country.
Your pictures are great Sharon, love the sky and sunset!
Kiska, the alpenglow pics are amasing, like all your pics !When we were on our trip to the mountains, our friend had the same problems with her camera...she just couldn't take any shot when it was about 20 outside. She has a Canon with 2 batteries, while my Canon has an accumulator and works anytime.
Kelli, love your trip pics, you bring us so much informations!
Bev, your winter pic is gorgeous, so is the coneflower one!
Yuri, you're welcome for the juice and shoes, I'm glad you liked it! Our countries have always trade different things, as neighbors. when I was in school, about 30 years ago, we learned Russian as a second language, but I'm sorry to say I don't remember much now!
Ric, thanks for the link, very interesting!
Marylyn, I hope your bunnies are well now!
Deb, great pic of the feeder!
E_B, great pic, is that a painting inside the room?
Marsue, thanks, sending another picture of DD, to see the rest of her!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.