Birds in the Backyard

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I am a Beginner in Bird Watching. I have attended one local Audubon chapter meeting last week and I am intending to go to my first Very Beginning Bird Walk on Sunday February 2. I have been watching birds in my backyard for over a year now and it really is fun to be able to tell a House Finch from a Purple Finch. We even have one or two American Goldfinches come around. My question is lately when I go into my backyard, about twenty to thirty birds take off in flight. These are mostly House Sparrows but some are finches. I still have birds to watch in two or three minutes but I would like to see the majority. The remaining birds are okay about my binoculars but when I bring the camera into the backyard, they rush off, too. Remember my backyard is relatively small and is filled with three bird waterers, one bird bath, a tube feeder, two thistle socks, and four hummingbird feeders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the birds used to me?

Thanks,

Chuck

Marlton, NJ

Hi Chuck, I think you just have to be consistent in going out there everyday so they get used to you and then they'll keep coming back in ,in shorter times.

If that doesn't work for you there is always a blind or hide that you could make or purchase. Just put it out in the yard a few days before you start using it to let them get accustomed to it.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Pelletory! I still have a lot to learn about Bird Watching.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Lawrenceville, GA

The more you're out there, as Pelle said, the more they'll know you mean no harm... in fact, they'll come to realize you're the one who brings the food!
I can sit out in my yard and read all afternoon — I can even talk on my cell phone — and the birds just come and go as they please... even my dogs are out with me and the birds don't pay any attention at all.... this is especially fun in the summer with the hummingbirds who know when I'm out in the yard, there is new, cold sugar water being distrubuted at all the feeders and they swarm me!
Like Pelle said, consistency is the key. No sudden movements or loud noises at first until they get used to you being there.Once they come to realize that after you've been in the yard their feeders are suddenly full again, you're golden!

Metairie, LA

Short of purchasing a blind to go behind, is there any advice out there about what color of clothes to wear. I read somewhere that white was a bad color to wear when trying to bird watch.

Lawrenceville, GA

MRW... are you talking about just watching outside in your backyard or going on a bird watch?
In your backyard... the key is getting them accustomed to your being there... I've never given any thought to what I wear... although I think twice about wearing anything red during hummingbird season!
For a bird watch, a one-time place, I've been told to wear colors that "blend" more with the environment....
Here's an interesting link on the subject:
http://www.ksbirds.org/kos/Color.htm

There's also a great book called "Good birders don't wear white" 50 tips from top birders...
http://www.ksbirds.org/kos/Color.htm

This message was edited Jan 21, 2008 4:48 PM

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear HeyItsMeJudy,

Thanks for the links. It is a very timely article for us as my wife and I are going on our first birdwatching walk (for very beginning birdwatchers) on Sunday February 3. It is being sponsored by San Bernardino Valley Audubon Society. I am hoping that my wife enjoys it as much as I will. It would be nice to watch birds with her.

Thanks,

Chuck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.