Wollemi Pine

Reno, NV

I was considering aquiring a Wollemi Pine in Reno NV. Would anyone mind giving me some feedback on these trees if possible? When I look them up they reportedly can handle as low as 0 degrees, but maybe thats pushing it a bit? Anyway, anyone with any experience please share as I am really intrigued by these trees. Worse case I could always put one in a pot and bring it inside in the winter... Thanks for any help guys/gals out there!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think the hardiness is still a little uncertain--most of the testing has been done down to -5C (which is in the mid 20's F), but this site mentions trials in the US and Japan where it's survived down to 10F. http://www.wollemipine.com/care_information.php

Reno, NV

Thanks Equilibrium and Ecrane3... I have resources in you..

Say bevereno, I don't grow that tree and have never even seen it at a botanical garden or arboretum. I did remember there had been a discussion about it and that kennedyh had some good information so I searched using his user name and it popped up. Blind luck I'm afraid.

Reno, NV

Your luck and my gain!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

bevoreno, I agree with ecrane - "hardiness is still a little uncertain". We received one as a Christmas gift last year and will continue to bring it inside every winter until someone is able to prove that it will withstand our Z6 winters. I really like the tree and it isn't worth losing if it had to be replaced with the price at $100!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Reno, NV

RCN- thanks for that input. I will probably pot it for a couple years (bringing it indoors during winter) and that should be ample time to get a baseline established for its hartiness. I am in a bit warmer zone than you (I'm zone 7b) so I may end up being a baseline for you! I'll let you know... thanks!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm thinking of doing the same as you bevoreno. I'm zone 5a, though and kind of wondering what I would do with it after it is too big to keep potted and we find out it won't survive outside. Donate it to an arboretum somewhere warm, I suppose.

Elizabeth

Reno, NV

That actually sounds like a really good idea- donating it when its too big for indoors.. At least one could still visit it and see it in the future!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.