CLOSED: Identify This Bird Please Vol. 3

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Starting vol. 3; vol. 2 was here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803566/

What's this bird? Sorry it's so blurred, the light is awful here today, heavy overcast and rain so the exposure was very slow.

Resin

[PS I know the answer for this one, can anyone else get it?]

Thumbnail by Resin
Marlton, NJ

How about Sisken.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Goldfinch?

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

I think it looks more like a goldfinch because the color bands are more distinct (even in a blurry picture)

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Eurasian Siskin...Carduelis spinus?

Yep, Siskin / Eurasian Siskin Carduelis spinus.

Resin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am leaning toward:
Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria

:)>

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Way to go Ned :)>

:-)

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Debnes and Resin for identifying the cowbird!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Just got these pics of a new bird. I think it may be a Brown Creeper. The photos are not very good due to the sun.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Lawrenceville, GA

I've been having birds that look like these gobbling up mealworms. I couldn't decide if it was a goldfinch that hasn't "golded" up much or a warbler or a sisken. I can't imagine that finches eat mealworms but I didn't think a cardinal would until I saw if with my own eyes this past weekend.

Yep...Brown Creeper.

Creepers fly to the bottom of the tree and climb up
Nuthatches fly to the top and "climb" down

Marlton, NJ

Oh good I got it. :-)

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

We've been watching the chickadees make a feast of our mealworms. The American Goldfinches don't go near them. Saw several chickadees fly to the black sunflower seed, check it out, and then fly over to the mealworms and take them instead. Man, this is going to get expensive! We thought the brown-headed nuthatches were taking them...

Lawrenceville, GA

Ceejay...
I got tired of paying $11 for 1,000 mealworms from a bird seed store and ordered bulk from an online source... Sunshine Mealworms... they give a 10 percent discount if you're feeding bluebirds... which I am, among other things.... I got 5,000 ($16) and with priority shipping, etc., it was $26... I didn't see a dead one in the bunch, either. Very happy with them.. Tranferring them from the newspaper/bag packaging into a plastic box was a bit of a chore but I got the hang of it and it wasn't too gros. s
I know I wasn't really getting 1,000 worms from where I had been buying them, and I know there are way more than 5,000 that I got from Sunshine.
The chickadees, titmice, bluebirds, wrens, nuithatches and the aforementioned cardinals are loving the mealworms... as are whatever the yellow ones are... I think from the beak they're warblers. The cold weather this weekend made them even more grateful for the offering, I'm sure.
As a plus.... I don't have to chase the squirrels away from thee mealworm dish!

This message was edited Jan 21, 2008 2:44 PM

This message was edited Jan 21, 2008 4:04 PM

Marlton, NJ

Is it a hanging dish or just one on top of something Judy?

Lawrenceville, GA

I have the blue saucer thing that attaches to a shephard hook... I'll post a pic when I can find one. I still put a few mealies in that... But now that I've realized the birds don't really care WHAT I put the mealworms in as long as I put mealworms OUT! And since I'd been getting so much interest in the mealworms in my yard and since it's been so cold, I started putting several mealies in a heavy dog dish and setting the dish on the patio table on my deck... it's a lot closer to my patio door so I can watch the birds up close... Any bowl with about a three inch side will work ... just high enough so the worms can't crawl out... My friend here at work uses a butter container but she weighs it down with a rock so it doesn't blow away.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2008 2:54 PM

This message was edited Jan 21, 2008 2:55 PM

Lawrenceville, GA

Here's the mealworm feeder I'd originally used, Pelle..

Thumbnail by heyitsmejudy
Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I've always bought my mealies from Grubco, but I've been buying them for my pet sugar gliders so I get the really big "Mighty Mealies". They are about twice as big as what they normally call "large" mealies (but they are not the "superworms"! Those are nasty, and they bite!). I'd have to check to see how they compare price-wise to what you got, but that does sound like a good deal for 6000.

I actually counted my mealies this time. I know it's silly, but I was curious and I was splitting them up into separate containers for the gliders and the birds so I figured, "why not?". Anyway, I had already fed probably 20 of them to the gliders before I counted, but I counted something like 1150 when I had ordered 1000. Better than 10% overage and that's not counting the 3 or 4 dead ones.

Grubco has always been good to the glider community, so I like to support them. When Katrina happened, they supplied free mealies for hundreds of rescued gliders.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Oops - spoke too soon. Brown-headed nuthatch taking a mealworm.

Thanks, Judy!! That was timely. DH was just checking out order sites on the Internet, I gave him your info, and the mealworms should be on their way momentarily. Now we can put a few more mealworm feeders out. I like the dog bowl close up and personal idea.

Thumbnail by ceejaytown
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This hawk came diving in for a bird ,and crashed in my patio door. Unfortunately, the poor bird didn't make it. I felt really bad, I tried to help him . I wanted to put him in a box, but when I approched it, it jump down the patio, and went too far underneath for me to reach him. I found him dead that night. I tried to ID him with the books I have here. They have 2 that looks like him for this area. Red-Shoulder Hawk and Broad-Winged Hawk. Is it one of them?

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Looks like a Ruffed Grouse

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Boys, was I way off. I thought grouse were more wood birds like partridge. And didn't think they'd come to feeders. I was in denial when I read your post,but upon looking up and zooming in for the face. Your right, the beak isn't that of a hawk at all. Thank for setting thing strait.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's a cute little guy (or gal) I saw at the garden center the other day. I had run for my camera when there was a "Dairy" woodpecker in this same tree (the one with white spots along the outer tail feathers?), but he was gone by the time I got back from the car.

Later I saw this one. I didn't realize how cute his face was until I looked at the pic on my computer screen zoomed in. A warbler?

Thumbnail by PeeperKeeper

"Dairy" Woodpecker is what ya call one that you don't see well enough to tell whether it's a D owny or a H airy Woodpecker.

The ones with the dots are Downys ...(Downys have Dots)

Don't know what the little guy in the pic is.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, thanks ON. I knew "Dairy" meant not sure between Hairy and Downy. I couldn't remember which had the dots, but I remembered that was the relevant factor so made a mental note of whether s/he had them but hadn't looked up which one it was yet when I made the post.

Quoting:
Later I saw this one. I didn't realize how cute his face was until I looked at the pic on my computer screen zoomed in. A warbler?

I'd go for Orange-crowned Warbler

Resin

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Anyone know what this bird is? I am drawing a blank but know it's some kind of Finch. I think. He looks cold!

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Looking at this picture, would it be a Junco? It just seems to have a bit different coloring than the others.

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Marlton, NJ

Hi CW, Its a female Dark-eyed Junco.

Pelle

Ahhh! Thanks Pelle! I thought she looked junco-ish lol!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Definitely a Junco! My favorite sparrows!

Melbourne, FL

These look like ducks to me.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Yep, ducks. The large bills suggest Northern Shoveler, but hard to be certain.

Resin

Melbourne, FL

Amazing you could even guess what type Duck, Ned....thanks.

Wasn't me...I would have thought they were flying to the left and guessed Gull-winged Owls
or Fork-headed Boobies

Gonna go with resin on this one-Northern Shovelers.

Thumbnail by OldNed
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I know...bad pic! This was a good sized hawk of some kind!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Probably Red-tailed Hawk

Resin

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Resin...I will keep my eyes peeled and try and get a better picture!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.