Salted snack seeds okay for Birds?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

While shopping around in the store today, I walked through the snack food isle and noticed some pretty cheap snack seeds. In particular a nice bag of salted sunflower seeds, and also some salted peanuts in the shell.

Is it okay to put both out for Birds and Squirrels? Or would the salt hurt them?

As far as I know most of the salt is on the outside of the shells, and they would only eat the inside hearts of the seed....

Sometimes the human snack food is much cheaper than the bird food. ha.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Marlton, NJ

OMG; I just wrote a long reply and it disapeared. :-(

Hi pford, Salt is bad for birds and they would still ingest it even though its on the shell.

Have you checked online or local economy stores in your area?

Just today I bought a 20lb bag of mixed seed for $9 because of problems w/ the

flocks of European Starlings. Its not something I would normally buy but I refuse to waste good seed and money on those flocks!

I'll still keep 1 feeder w/ quality mix in it.

I can't imagine it would be good for squirrels either.

I'll look around later to see if I or someone else can find some deals for you. In the meantime check those economy store in your area.

Pelle :-)

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Check out a Feed Store for different economical wildbird mixes. Even try PetSmart. I just bought a 40# bag at PetSmart yesterday for $7.99 and it has everything in it for a wide variety of birds.
Susan

Marlton, NJ

Thanks Susan; great advice!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

You're welcome.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The Steller's Jay's I feed, won't eat salted peanuts, if I put them out, but they can't get enough of unsalted peanuts.
Gary

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

thanks again friends.
I'll keep the salted snacks for me, and the unsalted for my wild fuzzy feathery friends.
Have a good weekend.
Paul

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Paul-Enjoy your snacks!
Susan

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here, the local feeds stores and TSC stock large bags of BOSS or mixed seeds. Prices are not out of line for the volume sold.

Incidentally, having rehabbed baby squirrels in the past, no to the salt for them either. Excessive salt is not natural in any diet...

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks and gotcha. I hadn't put out the salty stuff, but me and the kids are sure enjoying them, and the birds are enjoying their plain-ole plain-old seed stuff.

btw - I've also been putting out the oranges for the Mocky-birds, and they sure do enjoy that too.

Everyone's having a good time in my back yard.
Sparrows are nice a plump,
Tons and tons of Cardinals this year (more than ever before)

I've even managed to attract several hawks to my neighborhood
( whoops - was I supposed to say that? ) :^)

Squirrels are loving the extra feed to.
What a great time is had by all.

Ya'll have a good week.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I went to TSC and bought a nice sized bag of diff nuts for birds. and I also found some saltless hulled sunflower seeds at walmart.

I even saw a bag of roasted saltless peanuts in the bird section of TSC I almost bought it but decided I was getting too broke feeding the birds.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Kathy Ann,

Thanks for the tip.
I've never been in a TSC, but I've seen a few over in Memphis and around.

I heard that - about feeding the birds.
Although I've had more Cardinals this year, I've also had a lot of Sparrows.
I've learned a trick though......
The Cardinals come very early, while it's still dark, so I leave some feed out at night for them.
They and the White Crowned Sparrows also come back late.
Late to bed and early to rise does pay off for some. :^)

Have a good weekend.
Paul

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I've discovered a big bag of salted peanuts (no hulls) in the back of the cupboard. They're stale so we're not eating them, but I was wondering if I 'washed' them could I then feed them to the birds?

Marlton, NJ

Just to be on the safe side I'll say better to not use them.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I agree with pelletory, even though you wash them the salt has penetrated the meat and you wouldn't be able to get it all.
Do you have any snow there? These Sparrows are here all winter.
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105

I'm glad that I asked. I'll just throw the stale peanuts away.

Do I have any snow here? Oh wow....do I ever. We're just cleaning up from the latest storm which dumped about 6". Since the temps are finally creeping above zero today, I should probably go out and shovel. As far as I'm concerned, when the temps are below zero (and the wind is whipping in off of the lake) that the fallen snow can just sit right where it is. The dry fluffy snow isn't as heavy as the wetter variety, but the fullfy stuff just gets blown right back in your face. Can you tell that I'm sick of winter? I keep telling myself that lots of snow is good. It is insulating all of my perennials very nicely, and it should keep the frost from going deep enough to freeze my drain field again.

Meet Buddy, who likes the snow as long as the walk is shoveled........

Thumbnail by marie_
Marlton, NJ

He's very pretty!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Feeling's mutual! Buddy is very handsome! We had 6" fall Sun., had about an inch yesterday and we're getting MORE AS I TYPE!
Susan

We may have more coming on Saturday. (Sigh)

Keswick, VA

Wish we had some snow. We need it. I find unsalted whole peanuts in the shell and the Blue Jays love them! It also keeps them away from the other feeders - for a short time. Other birds like the whole peanuts, too - crows, grackles, starlings etc:
Squirrels also go for the peanuts. We have a squirrel area away from the other feeders and it works until they devour it! Some of "our" squirrels much prefer the good stuff and won't go near their area - my daughter says we have the fattest squirrels she's ever seen. Through the years I've learned to like them!!!
We also have a deer (and whatever else) area with licks and corn. We are in a semi-rural area (used to be very rural) on 5 acres and see so much wildlife! It's a real treat. We do be wary when the bear comes and the coyotes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.