Alfalfa vs cottonseed

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

This past year, I decided to stop using Miracle Grow, and really treat my soil well but feeding it with with compost, and other organic ingredients. One of the items that I read alot about was alfalfa. I began using this in the garden in tea, as well as scattering it under bushes, an scratching into the soil. Although I can get alfalfa, it is a long drive. I noticed that my local nursery sells cottonseed as an soil additive. The nursery is much easier to get to than the tractor supply store.

I'm wondering if the two items are roughly the same in terms of benefits or if there is an advantage to using one over the other. In fact, would I be better off if I was using both together or rotating? The out of pocket cost for the alfalfa is definitely less, but when I factor in the much shorter drive for the cottonseed, the cost of the two is equal.

In addition to the alfalfa, I have also been using fish emulsion and kelp. Everything looked great last year, and I am expecting better results this year.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2008 9:15 AM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a reference that gives info on several different organic fertilizers--it lists both alfalfa and cottonseed meal so hopefully it's what you were looking for. It includes typical N-P-K numbers as well as some of the pros and cons of each
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/files/gardennotes/234-OrganicFert.html#Alfalfa%20meal%20or%20pellets

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Thanks ecrane3 for the link. It looks like both of them are a good for the garden. I may j begin alternating between the two just to cover my bases.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i think the main kick for alfalfa is the triacontanol an alcohol that stimulates rose growth.
and cotton seed meal should contain many nutrients as cotton plants take a lot out of the soil.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Len, does that stimulate all flowers or just roses?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i believe all. i've used Bradfield organic fertilizer which is alfalfa based, but to be quite honest I don't see any difference if that i had used nothing. the only difference i see adding fertilizers where i'm at is nitrogen. i'm sure they add something but it's nothing dramatic.

Charleston, SC

Thanks ecrane for the link..lots of good information there.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

I as well as most daylily growers use alfalfa or a product called Agreaux which contains alfalfa meal,chicken litter and other nutriens in pellet form

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 12:01 PM

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

Hemental, i couldn't find any info on algreau, but it sounds interesting. I thought it might be allgrow but that is something else. i like the chicken litter ingredient.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Len I corrected my spelling.
It is Agreaux Organics
Their web site is:
http://www.agreauxorganics.com/
Charlie

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

thanks charlie. it's $8.95 a bag but the shipping is $21.56! ouch. maybe i should become a dealer and drive my semi down there and get a truckload of it! lol

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Len The product with alfalfa is their All Greaux
It is $16.00 per 50lb fob mill
Boy has it gone up.The last I bought was $11.00 fob
I guess it was because alfalfa pellets and meal are now over $16.00 here
I understand that Misty Grower made by Tyson of Lavonia Ga has a chicken litter pellet product that runs $23.00 per 50 lb and it does not have any alfalfa.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i've still got some bradfield's alfalfa based left. I don't think i'm much impressed with the alfalfa, but i see they have a 3-3-3 that is cheaper, with the chicken litter.

Nashville, IN(Zone 5b)

You might check out Ohio Earth Food. They have great fertilizers for certified organic production. They sell to market growers and farmers, so material is priced accordingly. We get about 8000# of material a year from them, and their stuff really makes a difference in our growing beds.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Great links.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.