Problem with butterfly Hippeastrum

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this bulb? It hasn't flowered in ages, and the new growth consistently has this horrible red coloration on it.
Could it be mosaic? I've seen the streaky leaves that mosaic causes, but never red. It's not sunburned, because it's in a North window.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Marsha.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Another pic...

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

And one last pic...

Thumbnail by Machikoneko

I would isolate it and apply a fungicide.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Is your plant indoors year-round?

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

No, it goes outside every year with the rest of the bulbs for the summer.
At first, I thought it was sunburn, but then the red continued.
Do you think I'd be better just chucking the bulb? It has no real sentimental value, and if it could cause problems, I'd rather be rid of it. I can always get another papilio if I want it.

I see one long leaf that looks undamaged and healthy among leaves and aren't showing the reddening. That's a good sign.

I should have asked earlier, but do you remember when the damage first appeared? That would help track down the cause.

You dismiss sunburn as a cause since your plants are in a north window. But your plants were outside last summer, right? When you moved your plants outside last spring, if they were inside in the same north window, they would have been very sensitive and a too-quick move to strong light would result in burning, that would look just like what I see on the older foliage. I had the same thing happen to my papilios. Even a single day in sudden too-strong light can burn those leaves not used to the intensity.

If that old damage is sunburn, you will need to make the transition to the outdoors over a longer period, not all at once, or t you will see it happen all over again. Moving them to a window where they will get direct sun now, would suit them better and would help them later on, but the main thing is to gradually introduced them to stronger light over a period of weeks, so that they can adjust and toughen up.

Good luck!

R.

The red might be Stagonospora (red blotch) and as was first suggested by Andidandi, a fungicide is called for.

"Stag" really takes hold under wet and cool conditions, as when plants are outside getting rained on in spring. It will pop up suddenly, even after warm weather has settled in and a sudden cool period with rain comes through.

You might try to keep it from getting rained on once it's outside and avoid wetting the foliage.

A systemic fungicide can help controll many fungi.

R.

Mobile, AL

It does not look like Red Blotch to me. It could be insect damage, but it is difficult to tell unless you see the insect.

Remove the scarred leaves which are probably old anyway. Withdraw water until you see new leaves forming. There is little need for water if there are no leaves.

Have you let this one go dormant at all? You do realize that older leaves get weak and are subject to problems, so at some point, older leaves need to be removed and newer leaves will follow.

I'm about to remove my last years leaves from Papilio Improved and Misty. I have already started withholding water, but I have to tell you, older leaves start looking old and ragged. I figure it is time... I do not see the red spots that you do, but still the leaves are looking OLD!

Papilio is not predictable as to when it will bloom again. Give it time, and as long as the bulb itself looks healthy, all will be okay!

Good Luck! And let us know...

San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

I'm just wondering, for what it's worth, if that plant didn't get a draft or a little too cold, especially if it is close to that north window. Your Jade plant beside it looks a little "cold-stressed" as well. Maybe you watered it and then that night it got a little too cold for it's liking. The bulb could have been damaged and it would show up in the leaves.

vm

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I've discarded the bulb, pot and all. Right now, I just don't have the time to properly take care of this particular plant. I didn't want to chance anything spreading to the rest of my Hippeastrums.

Raydio,
Boy, I learned all about burnt leaves the first year I lived here! After that, I was/am sure to put the bulbs in a very sheltered spot, and move them very gradually. After a couple of years, I learned just the right spots to put them in to avoid sunburn. (We've been here 20 years.) But I'm also trying to give them more sun exposure right now- I have new garden windows this year, and have more room for them to get sun now.
Oh, and the one healthy leaf you saw turned just as red as all the others. The bulb itself has quite a bit of red on it, although it was still quite firm.

Vanillaman,
I'm sure it wasn't cold stressed; I just had new triple thermapane (sp?) windows installed this year, and they're great! I checked the temps in the window, and they're nowhere near as cold as they were last year, and last year was a lot milder temp. wise. (I've seen the difference in my gas bill- boy, I wish I had the money sooner for this!)

Thanks everyone for your help; I just think this one was too far gone to be saved. I take care of my 83 year old mother, and just couldn't spare the time, or take the chance of things spreading. I have too many other healthy bulbs to risk it.

Thanks again for all your input,

Marsha.

OK, Marsha. Hang in there. :-)

R.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.