Adding compost to cottage garden

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, I asked this question on the cottage garden forum, but didn't get much response, so this may be a more appropriate venue:

This seems like a silly questions, but here goes: how do I add compost to an established cottage garden? I have quite a few self seeding plants (a good thing in my opinion), so how do I add compost, without burying those loveable little seedlings. For instance, I have forget-me-nots & foxgloves sprouting now & I don't want to bury them, so close to spring, when they bloom. Thanks!

Liz

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I takes longer but you can just topdress the bed with compost, brushing it off seedlings with your hand.

Karen

somewhere, PA

You can also do a light top dressing in the winter when everything is safely
underground.

Thanks kqcrna - that does sound labor intensive, but I guess it's the only way... I guess that means I'll be putting a shallow layer of compost around the seedlings or I'll bury them.

Good idea Tammy, except our area is so temperate that we have seedlings growing year round - guess I can't complain about that! LOL!

Liz

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

All of my beds have mixed annuals, perennials, and some shrubs. I also leave annual roots in place during winter, cutting off a few inches above the soil line. This also helps to keep my fall leaf mulch in place during winter. I leave them in place to rot and feed the soil. When spreading compost, I just topdress and it's not a whole lot of work to spread around existing plants. I just throw it around and spread or brush off with my hands as necessary.

Karen

somewhere, PA

Sorry Liz ... didn't notice your zone. I guess there are benefits to suffering
through the cold winters. :-)

Thanks.... guess I'll get my bending exercise in brushing off the seedlings!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.