DAILY PICS, VOL. #54

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Burn! In your pic, Mrs Cardinal has a hairdo like this guy...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_King_%28boxing_promoter%29
ROFL!

................ Seriously though, The E. Grosbeak is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!

GP~ What beautiful pics of the Oriole!

Resin good info on the Cedar.. glad you posted it. This is a gardening site after all. We can't separate the birds from their trees. :-)

Hawks come by here several times a day, as most of you know. This guy hung around for a couple hours, and had a real hard time negotiating the gnarly rose bush, however today he actually caught himself a sparrow. It took him another 20 minutes to get the sparrow out of the bush. Then he flew to the fence with it, and then away.

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A Carolina Wren to cheer everyone up...

What a sweet face!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A little Bewick Wren... from today as well!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice, Deb!

One of those dang hawks got another one of my chickens yesterday! Found her laying headless real close to the house.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Bummage TJ :- They can be rascally for sure!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep, my birds are safe from all predators except those Red Tails, and federal law says I can't do a thing about it!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Deb- Cardinal hairdo is creekwalkers pic. but like the reference LOL Love your Carolina wren.

Dinner is served ,what's on the menu?......... a plate full of Redpolls

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

They are sweet burn!

Nice pics debnes!

Klamath River, CA

Spotted Towhee

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Dark-eyed Junco.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Fox Sparrow.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Great pics adel!

That really shows the( Oregon form) of the Junco well.

The Spotted Towhee is such a pretty bird!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2008 5:48 PM

Marlton, NJ

debnes,The Coopers Hawk pic is very sharp!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

CW - Thanks for the laugh. Love that wacky Cardinal hairdo.
Burn - That HairyWP will need a smaller beak. :)
Tiger - your photo of the WB Nuthatch in the tree is better than any I've been able to get at the feeders! They come to the peanut suet.

Sybil- the Pili's are amazing to see aren't they. Round here they seem to stay waaaay up in the pine trees. Never close at all.
G-pom: So lucky you are to have Buntings. I love them.
Debnes - Great one of the hawk! (But I truly adore your baby Robin.)

Didn't get a chance to be outside before dark today, so here's one from last week.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

debnes, you know I love that hawk shot!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The Bohemian Waxwings are eating crap apples now. They don't eat the apples until most of the berries are gone.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The waxwings feed in some very unusual positions!

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Taking turns grabbing a bite.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots Gary!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I've read you should always use flash when taking wildlife images, to be sure the eyes show. I usually don't, and here's why. This Mountain Chickadee looks like something evil.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Tiger!
Pelle and all~
Just posting this so you guys don't miss it in the articles on the home page today..(Jan 19). If you have taken any pictures of the Ruby-crowned Kinglet there is a hyperlink to your picture(s) in the article. Any responses (good, bad, or indifferent) you make will demonstrate to non-subscribers the kind of community we are here in BW forum. Maybe Tiger can start one and post the Golden-crowned Kinglet . (I already linked the 2 shots you had in here of RCKL Tiger;-)) Any new pics I may have missed in my searching will have to be in a new post bc the follow up responses do not have the "browse and post photo" option.
You guys are the cream of the crop!

Warmest Thanks!
debnes

Here it is: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/609/

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

One more pic of the cute little expression...

Melbourne, FL

Interesting article and the pictures from the members are wonderful. Congratulations Deb!

Marlton, NJ

LOL, tiger thats so funny! We'll have to talk to Linth or Dave about that flash thing.

Very nice pics debnes! I posted about your article. :-)

Marlton, NJ

Another male Northern Cardinal pic taken from a few days ago.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2008 8:23 AM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

tiger, that does make him look evil! I don't use the flash either.

Brainerd, MN

Great Cardinal shot. i wish I could get them here.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks GP and Pelle!

Nice shot of Cardinal Pelle!

I don't know whats funnier the expression on the chickadee, or what Tiger said about it. When I read it I burst out laughing, lol!

I have taken a few pics of birds with flash, but I had to take them from an angle, not straight on. That actually worked pretty good. (My "blind" window is at a 45* angle.)

Just a bit of glare on the Mocker's feet because in evening sun is toward this window.

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Very good article, Debnes. :) I'll definitely keep my eyes and ears alert for these little guys, although, we are right on the border -- it doesn't look like they go north of Louisville, and I'm right across the river from there. I also love your hawk picture!!

Very pretty Cardinal, Pelle! They just look so picturesque sitting in trees.

Amazing Bohemian Waxwing pictures as always, Gary. I always look forward to seeing those!!

Everyone always has such great pictures to share!!

It's very cold (for us, anyway) here at 19 degrees, and everyone is puffed out this morning. Here's a Mourning Dove wishing it were just a bit warmer!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

The Blue Jays are out in force today!

My day is not complete if I don't see my Red Bellied Woodpecker. :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/rckinglet.htm
http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/collections/birds/bird228_2.html

There were more sites, but I didn't want to go overboard, lol.

There are many accounts of RCKL in Indiana... Actually a good chance you will see them eventually!

They are all over NA at some point or another depending on season, etc.

debnes

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Gras - wonderful shots of your Waxwings. They are beautiful birds.
Debnes - well done!! I'd love to see Kinglets here.
Ind. Lily - I'm kinda chilly myself. Wish I could puff up like your Mourning Dove! LOL.

Pelle - Ya gotta love those Cardinals. You can always count on them for a pop of color in winter.

Well the Chinese Geese have been hanging around the feeders this morning. They make so much noise that the other birds tend to hang back til they leave. This Car. Chickadee must've been wearing earplugs, because he stayed. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh - Tiger - forgot to mention your demonic Chickadee. Thanks for the laugh this morning!
(Here are those darn Geese.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Gotta love those Waxwings, and all the rest of the pics are great too!

It was very dark today, even though it was 10C (50F). The grass horse paddock across the road has had large patches of standing water, today there was 7 Mallards (one pale one) actually swimming on it!

After a while a Jay flew down to the back edge, jumped about a bit as though it was trying to scare off the ducks, that's it's territory. At times it was looking at the ducks, others it was eyeing itself in the water, it probably thought for a start it was another Jay.

Not great pics, impossible in the light conditions and distance, but for the record.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

You can see the Jay at the backof the water on the leaves.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

It stepped down into the water for a better look at itself.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Wallaby: Guess that's why rain is said to be, "Nice weather for ducks." The mallards seem very happy there.

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics indiana! I feel the same about the Red-bellied Woodpeckers!

Nice shots Debin! I imagine it is really noisy w/ the Geese around. :-o

Good ones wallaby, I don't blame the Jay for checking his reflection; their such a handsome bird! :-)

Lol, it has been weather for the ducks!

It was funny to watch the Jay even from a distance pelle, there was a pair of Blackbirds having a good look at the ducks too.

My little friend Song Thrush was about again today, singing away. It looks at me as if it know me and carries on regardless. It was on the lower branches of the Horse Chestnut, a Crow near the top made it's 'chak-chak' sound, whereby the Thrush turned it's head toward the Crow and made the same sound!

This is the Thrush singing on a Sycamore branch.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.