Cassia alata or Senna Alata?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone familiar with this plant? I have seed and am trying to decide if I should give it a try or not....just seeing what your experience with it may be. Is this invasive?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a few cuttings, that I've tried to overwinter in a greenhouse as starter plants. As far as I know, they're tender in our zone, thus invasiveness isn't a problem. Some of my cuttings didn't do well due to low light condition. But I hope I've at least one to get some flowers next spring. They're sulpher butterflies' host plant. So it's wonderful for the garden.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I think cassia alata and senna alata are the same. In my area it is supposed to be "enthusiastic" to say the least but that wasn't my experience. A cutting from my neighbor did not make it thru the Feb 07 freeze and I noticed her grove was not as thic last summer as in previous years.

I am interested in this plant because it's a host for the sulphur butterfly, which I adore.

I haven't tried to get another cassia alata but it's on my "to get" list.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, I am going to try and grow this from seed I received from someone...so we will see if I have any luck...lol I already planted some this morning....and was hoping it was not invasice, as it is just beautiful, and DROUGHT resistant!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good lucks, Janet.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Janet, The ones I had planted last year have died from the cold. I dont think they will come back in spring, but the seed pods will probably grow when it warms up. I am going to plant them again next year but in a different place. ANTS love this plant!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, Great....ANTS! LOL Hmmmmm.....I will have to think about that little tid bit of info for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.