Eastern Bluebird, male

Stafford County, VA

Probably my favorite of all the birds that visit my back yard. This was taken day before yesterday.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Melbourne, FL

Hi Dave....I never have seen a Bluebird. Your shot is excellent.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Those are my favorite too! We used to have a lot of bluebirds when I was growing up but I don't see them as much anymore! I started putting bluebird houses up last summer and the warblers moved in, I think I spelled that right lol

Great picture!

Stafford County, VA

Thanks, here's one of the female.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful shot of a beautiful bird! We have them here but they don't visit us! ;0(

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow...she's gorgeous!

Marlton, NJ

Good to see you Dave! Welcome to the forum!

Beautiful pics!!!

Stafford County, VA

Thanks Helen. Nice to be here.

Marlton, NJ

About how many Bluebirds do you have during the winter Dave?

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

This picture almost reminds me of the 'mad bluebird' picture, I have one sitting on my desk that someone gave me but he's puffed up and mad looking lol

The female is pretty too!

Stafford County, VA

Eight or so that come regularly. I have pictures of them in the snow and ice and of course as fledglings and in all stages of their moulting process.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Let us see more pictures! more more more more lol Please?

Stafford County, VA

I have lots of "mad" shots. It's funny, the males have that look when they look straight at you, but the females don't.

Let me look for a couple.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Hi Dave,
Beautiful pictures with excellent detail. What's the story behind the perch? Both birds are perfectly posed, but separately, on the same perch. My mother would have agreed with you 100%, the Eastern Bluebird was her absolute favorite.

Gary

Stafford County, VA

Gary. I cheated (sorta)

I had a camera on a tripod aimed at a spot where the birds often land enroute to the mealworm feeder. I control the camera from inside the house via a wireless remote.

Stafford County, VA

I am on the laptop so I don't have all my mad shots at my disposal. Here is one for starters

Stafford County, VA

Here's one more, taken at the same time.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Dave,
They are vary nice pictures. However, the second I realised they were both on the same perch, I doubted it was by accented. I have never tried a wireless remote. How do you like it? (I just stand in the cold and freeze.)
Gary

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

That looks just like the mad bird lol Those pictures are so good you must have a nice camera! I bet you have all kinds of pictures of them come on let us see them! lol

Stafford County, VA

Gary, I never thought I would like using a tripod, but I do.

I was always proud that all my shots were hand held, even with the big, heavy lenses. But the tripod and wireless remote allows me to get as close to the birds as I want, even filling the frame with just the bird. It also allows me to stop the birds in flight and catch the birds in unusual situations, which is what I most like to do. It helps that my cameras will shoot rapid fire (up to 10 shots per second), so I do get a lot of unusual shots.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

WOW! I will never own a camera like that and you need to get off of your lap top and show us more, I know you want to! Show us some of those unusual shots 8^)

I'm outside all summer planting and watch the birds all of the time just wishing I could get pictures like that!

Stafford County, VA

LeBug

I have several thousand bird pictures on my pbase site. Look at www.pbase.com/uncledave

Marlton, NJ

Wow I just looked at the assorted album, theres so many there I hadn't seen before.

All are excellent!

Stafford County, VA

LeBug

Here's an example, just for starters. Actually, this would be a throw-away because the belly feathers are not in sharp focus. But , you get the idea, I hope.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

You make a living at this, you have got to those are too professional looking! I've got to get up early in the morning but I am going back! I love your site! Thank you!

Stafford County, VA

Here's one more. But I'm still on the laptop :-)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah right a 'throw away' lol If I had the money I'd buy a print like that, that picture is gorgeous! I have got to show these to a friend of mine for sure!

And your hawk in flight I think it was, on the site was just wonderful too!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

That's alright just stay on the lap top I've got your site now lol

AW he is so sweet isn't he?

Marlton, NJ

Thats a beautiful one!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

wow Dave, I am very impressed with your photos too.

I have to ask what kind of camera system you own. My DH bought me a Nikon D40x for Christmas and I am loving it. It has the remote option but didn't think I would use it. After seeing your photos looks like I need to invest in one.

Thumbnail by melsalz
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

melsalz, that's a nice picture too!

Alright I have to get up early lol

Stafford County, VA

Melsalz

I have a Canon EOS 1D Mark III and a Canon 40D and a couple of very nice telephoto lenses (400mm and 300mm) that I use most of the time. I have remotes for both of them.

The Nikon 40X is a great camera. I can see why you would be thrilled with it.

My wireless remotes are radio contolled, not infrared. So I can trigger them from any position, even behind the camera and from up to 320 feet away. I bought my remotes through ebay from Hong Kong and they were very reasonable (about $15 plus shipping). I think your camera has an infrared sensor on the front and if so, you may only be able to trigger it from the front using the Nikon ML-L3 remote, which only has a range of about 16 feet and as I said, can only trigger the camera from the front. But I'm not absolutely sure. It may also have a port in the side where you can insert a wired remote, as does the Nikon D80, and if so, you may be able to get a remote that works like mine. You'd need to check it out.

Stafford County, VA

OK One more and then its goodnight for me too.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Dave, welcome aboard ......... very impressive photos. I usually see Bluebirds this time of year (never in my backyard) but have not seen one this winter. However, I have been mostly concentrating on Bald Eagles. I hope to look at more of your photos on your Pbase site and look forward to more here on Dave's Garden. Once again, great work !!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Absolutely incredible.
Thanks for sharing your bluebirds.

Marlton, NJ

Wow I love this last shot of him coming in for a landing; so sweet!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I agree Pelle and he looks like he thinks he is a "big bird"!! I have so enjoyed this series and sure enjoyed your pics on pbase Dave. I hope you will post often and welcome to the BW Forum!

Rose

Stafford County, VA

Lith:

Thanks for the welcome and the nice words.

I have been admiring your terriffic eagle pics. What sort of camera setup do you have? Obviously a nice telephoto lens, I'm guessing at least 500mm..

We have eagles that nest on the Potomoc, not far from here, but I have yet to get a picture of one. I am a little old for long hikes so I must concentrate on the birds that come to the yard, and in particular, the eastern bluebirds, which I am able to photograph every day. I have thousands of pictures of them already but like you with the eagles, I keep trying for a better shot..

Dave

Stafford County, VA

Thanks Rose

My PBase site is very cluttered. I really want to organize it and cull out a lot of the duplicious shots but never seem to get around to it. Most of those images were put there just so that I could then post them on various Internet sites that do not allow you to upload directly from your computer. There are some nice shots among them, but you have to work through some mediocre ones to find them. But if you like bluebirds, there are certainly a lot of them there.

Dave

This message was edited Jan 16, 2008 9:40 AM

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I love all of the other birds that you have on your site too they are all great pictures, I'm so glad you found this site Dave I love looking at bird pictures and at a time when it's so cold outside just makes me dream of spring lol

I just notice you are new to DG's I want to welcome you and hope to see a lot of posts and pictures from you in the future too! I'm intimidated by a small camera little lone one like you have lol

That little bluebird above reminds me of the pictures you see all of the time of the big egals landing!

Have to get to town today I'll be back to look at some more of those lovely pictures ;o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.