Purple Beans

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Most of the purple beans I have seen or grown tend to turn green when cooked.

Are there any that keeps their color?

Thanks
BB

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't think the solid purple ones keep color, but I know they have purple streaked beans (rattlesnake & dragon's tongue) that I think keep their color.

Lol sorry, I'm not much help.

Thanks

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

None of the purple beans I've grown stay puple when cooked. In fact, in the summer heat of z9b, they sometimes turn green on the vine. One year the beans were mottled green and purple - parts in the shade stayed purple and parts in the hot sun turned green. I like them because they are easy to spot on the vine, but other than that, I never really saw an advantage to them. Some people say that they are blanched right for freezing when the purple turns to green, but I never have grown enough to freeze - much barely makes it into the house before they get eaten.

Thanks.

I was interested primarily because of possible plate presentation.

BB

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

BronxBoy - I have read (never tried it though) that if you lightly steam the beans they'll keep their color. I'm kind of skeptical myself.

I'll try this summer and let everyone know

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Yes, please--inquiring minds would love to know!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have blanched for freezing, and I seriously doubt you could lightly steam them lightly enough to not change the color. They sure wouldn't be hot at that point. How about picking them young and tender? I grew Royal Burgundy bush and loved them, good yield.

Beltsville, MD

Are you cooking them in water or steam? I had good luck in keeping the color of Red Noodle yard long beans by sauteeing them in extra-virgin olive oil until just tender. You can get Red Noodle from Kitazawaseed.com.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.