RR, but not for seeds?

Belle Plaine, KS

I have a question about starting a RR. I'm not into seeds. Can I start a RR of tea towels or coasters!? I ♥ trading.☺
Lora☺

Norfolk, VA

This will be fun. You will need to set up your rules for your trade. I will help with what I can. Also, I will see if some others from the trades that I am in will want to join.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Count me in! =o)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Gosh I guess if the other two elves are joining I will have to too. Nurse Beckie I have never participated in these so please explain!!!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

me too!!
I love tea towels!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I would like to do this one too.

Susan
=^..^=

Norfolk, VA

Keep signing up!! We are in the process of getting the details worked out, and will let you all know very soon!! Thank You for joining!!

Details will be posted Friday!!!

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 5:52 PM

(Zone 1)

Sounds like fun! Count me in too! I will be watching this thread for the details!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Count me in!! :~)

Belle Plaine, KS

Hi everybody, I'm glad to see such a turn-out. I love looking at towels in the store, but thats all I do!. Coasters are good too. A set of 4 makes 4 trades. Not to mention all the themes available. But towels are lighter and more wallet friendly. I tried to think of something everyone uses AND needs. I'm getting tired of buying paper towels. So why not have a RR for what we all need? And you and your buddy can work out the details to fit. Like colors, flowers, sports whatever suits you & them.
☺Lora☺

LOL on the paper towels.

(Zone 1)

When you say Tea Towels, do you mean Kitchen Towels? And will this RR include Coasters as well? If you feel coasters are too heavy because of the weight it could be just for Towels, Pot Holders, Oven Mitts. Everyone could always use those. I too use a huge amount of paper towels!

This is going to be fun! I'm not into seeds either and trade plants during spring & summer so this is a nice change. Thank you for hosting!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Hey, count me in. One question, would it be a round robin or a swap (i.e. I send my gift to someone else). Thanks (and to you too, Beckie, for getting me on another one. lol.)

(Zone 1)

Oh, I hadn't even caught that. RR is usually a box of plants or whatever started by one person, filled by the host and sent on to the next person on the list ... they remove what they want and replace it with something of the same value.

A bunch of ladies on the Houseplant forum had a rooting jar/vase swap last summer and the host had anyone interested sign up. She gave a deadline for folks to sign up and the date for everyone to ship to the person who signed up below us, the last person on the list shipped to the hostess. Did that make sense? I'm not good at explaining but here's how it worked. Say I hosted the swap, it would go like this:

Linda (hostess)
Susie
Gail
Judy
Brenda
Helen
Pat
Sharon
Mary
Jackie
Ginny
Rose

Me being Linda would send to the person below me (Susie) who would send to the person below her (Gail) and so on. Rose who signed up last would send to Linda. They ended up letting people sign up as many times as they wanted so some of were receiving and sending rooting jars to three or four people!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

That sounds like fun. The last one I was in was just garden related "stuff" and it was great.

I was in one of those. That was fun!!

Belle Plaine, KS

Hi again, I dont know how they work. I just thot it would be fun, and something to do while we wait!:) bhaugh has volunteed to handle the rules etc. I'm just along for the ride since this is my first time, Ooo I'm a virgin again lol. Plants are great but I'm waiting for the weather to finish with winter. I have plants waiting in FL. and TX. so I'm a little bored.
And DG is so darned much fun. I may have had the idea, but I'm happy to share the *bounty* with you all:-)) Let's all have fun.
I saw where there was a Xmas ornament RR, that sounds like alot of fun too. I will keep that one on the calendar for next year.
Lora☺

You can make it a "secret swap" too.... just put everyone's names in a hat, and a list on the table... example, you're down to my name on the list, so you pick a name from the hat/box/whatever, you draw out yourself, so I become your "secret swapper" you dmail me the name I'm supposed to send to.... and so on down the line.... disadvantage as the hostess you know who yours is coming from so it's not a surprise for you. But, everyone else gets a "surprise" I like the tea towel/oven mit/pot holders idea. :)

Here is a link to one I did for day lilies a few years ago.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/535241/

I also like the idea of a round robin, I'm easy. :)

(Zone 1)

They ARE a lot of fun! Keep watching this forum ... I bet there will be many new Swaps & RR's starting in spring. A lot of them are seed and plant RR's but I've been in a couple of different ones: Rooting Jar Swap, Birdhouse Swap, Wind Chime Swap, Garden Whimsy Swap (which included garden signs, little resin statues, garden gadgets, anything garden related ... all were really a blast!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Both hands up!
~Jaye

(Zone 1)

That one sounds like one I'm in now: The Christmas Ornament Swap ... the hostess paired us up with our swap buddy ... we don't know who got our name until we post photo's of our ornaments on the thread when we receive them.

I did sign up for one (After the Garden RR) at the end of August but I ended up dropping out along with a couple of other folks. It was very disorganized and the hostess never came back and posted about the box she was starting and sending to the first person on her list! It finally got started but it's STILL not over. A lot of folks are still waiting to receive the box. It sounded like a good one at first but quickly became confusing to everyone as to what was going on with it.

Belle Plaine, KS

OH, I hope this doesnt get confusing. That wont be any fun. I like the secret idea. And knowing who/where its coming from wont bother me, I didnt know anyone here a couple of months ago. I just read a thread about a seed RR. And the poor hostess was just about to pop from frustration. People were sending seeds that grow into toxic plants. Packet info was vague or non-existent. I think its going to be easy to deal with textiles. lol

DG's roots are planted in the soil of making friends, and the compost is going in my garden! I ♥DG
Lora☺

DGrocks

Whew, I went and read that after the garden RR. It was started by sheran who originally was the RR queen. I wonder what happened to her? She isn't even a subscriber anymore. She used to be the main one to run these.

I had some problems with her in an earlier RR and had pretty much stopped doing them at all after that.

They are a lot of fun if they are run properly and the people participating do what they are supposed to do. LOL

Susan
=^..^=

(Zone 1)

Lora: It won't get confusing! It will be very easy! Are you hosting or is Bhaugh? Either way I know it will be a Wonderfully, Fun Swap! I love the idea of keeping our swap buddy a secret. Are we going to post a photo of our towels when we receive them and then say who they came from? That's how I've seen it done in other "Secret Swaps". I guess when the new thread is started and people begin to sign up we can all post what we like, flowers, cats, dogs, birdhouses, etc. I really look forward to this, any idea of when it will begin?

(Zone 1)

Hi ya Susan! I just ADORE your little kitty face ... sure wish I could do that in my e-mails etc. Hubby and I have 4 kitters in our household (down from 5 last year when one old gal went to kitty heaven.)

Yep, that After the Garden Robin was someone named Sheran. Someone else told me the same thing - that she used to be the Queen of RR's. Apparently she had some health problems and was in the process of moving when she began that RR. I have no idea why someone would start something like that if they had so much going on. I was disenchanted with it real quick and finally got disgusted and dropped out. I felt bad for other newbies who are probably still wondering what's going on!

I've only been a member of DG for a just over a year but dearly love this garden and all the wonderful folks I've met here. I've done a few plant trades and joined a few Swaps too. And on the African Violet forum where I mostly hang out, we play Bingo once a month with some great prizes! So much fun! We played Bingo on the house plant forum a couple of times last year too.

So, Slowtornado/Lora - WELCOME to the Garden! You will Love it here!

I was playing Bingo there for awhile. I don't know why I quit doing that. LOL Maybe cause I didn't WIN???

I think this particular swap sounds really easy. We just finished (or are finishing) the after Christmas clearance ornament secret swap. I got some really cool things.

Lora, I think you will do great with this!

Susan
=^..^=

Belle Plaine, KS

Thanks for the nod. I've never been in charge of anything or been the go-to girl. Maybe the go-fer girl. lol
I really do want it to work out. Its such a bummer when they dont.
I dont know what or if the rules are set in stone. bhaugh said she would help, so I gave her the reigns. It was a thot anyone could have had. I just dont know where to begin. The secret part sounds great to me.

plantladylin why cant you do the kitty face? =^..^= ☺
We just lost a cat today & I want to know. Yes, I'm nosey:) ha
Lora☺

I read bits and peices of that RR too. Usually by the time I get here to read, someone has started one, and it's full already. LOL I'm more of a vegie seed person than a flower seed person, but I did just join one that is for herbs/flowers that seems to move pretty quickly and is well organized. :) I organized a tomato seed one that is running right now, and it is just flying all over the place, it was in 3 people's hands the first week it was sent!

Lora, the secret swaps are fun, it's fun to go shopping for your partner, fun to pack everything up, it's just fun, period. :)

Norfolk, VA

Good Morning Everybody!! Wow, what a great turn out!!!!

I was also thinking that a secret swap would be a fun way to do this. Because we will be swapping towels and things instead of seeds. I thought maybe we could do it once a month. Each month would be a different item. I will post the rules on Friday. This is the first one that either of us has done so I hope we are doing it correctly.

Traci, You are so very welcome!! and thank you for joining!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Count me in please.

(Zone 1)

If it's going to be once a month I will have to bow out ... the next few months are going to be pretty busy - I didn't realize it was going to be a continuing monthly swap, thought it was a one time thing. I know you all will have fun!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

plantlady, i'm sure you can do just this month. Beckie?

Norfolk, VA

Don't leave...that was just a thought! nothing is set in stone. I am looking for feed back on the ideas.

Norfolk, VA

The reason I thought each month is because not everyone could do it all the time. That way people can join on the months they want to. If you sign up for this one that does not mean that you have to be in every one of them. Just the ones you want to participate in.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2008 8:18 AM

(Zone 1)

Oh, okay ... I thought you meant there would be one sign up and the same folks would do it continuously each month. If anyone can sign up for any month I will be able to join in! Thanks for the clarification!

(Zone 1)

Bhaugh: When are you going to start this Swap?

Belle Plaine, KS

OH boy, I have to go shopping!!!!!!!!!☺ I♥that;)
L8R,Lora☺

Norfolk, VA

The details are just about worked out, I should have it all posted by tomorrow afternoon!!! keep signing up....this will be fun!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Rising my hand....fun for sure..

Smiles..Diana..

(Zone 1)

Here's the link to the RR - Kitchen Towel Swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/805034/#top

Come on over, sign up and join in on the fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.