White breasted nuthatch

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

A White breasted nuthatch (I hope) enjoying the woodpecker block.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Lawrenceville, GA

Those things are so stinkin' cute, Granny! Little squeakin' acrobats! They sound like squeaky dog toys to me!

Sure do!

I have gotten hooked on watching, feeding, and caring for my backyard birds that I have to schedule time to get my work done.

GG

Lawrenceville, GA

A girl I work with just came in my office and told me I'd created a monster! I got her convinced last week to start feeding mealworms! She said she went through the majority of the thousand she bought already!

I can relate to that! Since I retired, I have inadvertently started turning my lot into a bird and wild animal sanctuary! Good heavens!

But, I love to watch and photograph them.

I have not gotten one thing done so far today except bird watching!

GG

Lawrenceville, GA

Along those lines, have you had your yard certified by the National Wildlife Federation as a backyard habitat? Mine is... pretty cool.
Go to their Web site to check it out... not hard to do, costs around $18 and you get a certificate you can frame, etc., saying your yard is certified.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to follow up on that tip!

GG

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Granny...What else is there to do but feed, watch and photo birds?!! LOL!

dellrose, there may be a heck of a lot more things to do, but nothing that is more fun! Chores can wait.

GG

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

It is my experience that the dust doesn't go anywhere Granny, it just sits and waits for ya!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Isn't that the truth! I haven't done a darn thing all day either! It's been snowing and cold here and the birds are hungry so there's a lot of activity. I keep thinking that if I watch long enough that rare-once-in-a-lifetime bird will fly up to my feeder and we'll become an ornithological mecca! I'm fantasizing a bit too much, I think!

But so far just lots of woodpeckers and nuthatches--not to belittle them--they are sooo cute!

You are correct Nanny -- the dust is right where I left it this morning!!

GG

See I told you! LOL

Here's what I do. I have watched and the little birdies kind of have a scedule of when they come & go the most. So 2 days I week and I blast throught my chores during those times! Laundry I can do throughout the whole day.

Marlton, NJ

ROTFLOL, Oh I know all this! Your right they do have a schedule nanny!

My problem is at the computer uploading pics etc,etc. I really have to work at fitting in the household stuff. :-)

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

OK...let me get this straight...we are supposed to do household stuff AND bird watch? Sorry to sound dumb but I am new at this!! LOL..you all crack me up!!

Rose

Only if it is unavoidable, rose!

When I got up this morning, the dust was still there. However, the birds were really busy at the feeders! Guess who won out?

GG

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL GG & Nanny! I had to vacuum yesterday because I had tracked seed hulls all over the carpet! Thinks were fine until I decided to put feeders on the front porch now I've got a mess out there all the time. Of course I didn't drag out the big vacuum...just the little hand vac and just vacuumed in front of the doors! No one knows but you and I!! :0)

Lawrenceville, GA

You wanna make a MAN sized mess??? Try making your own suet. Not for the faint of heart. But the bluebirds LOVE the "birdie biscuits" I made 'em. Boyfriend thinks I've completely lost it, making suet cakes in cupcake tins. He thought the same thing when he found mealworms in the crisper drawer of the fridge... he'll get over it. He did when he mistook hummingbird syrup for Koolade.

I just filled my feeders; there is a front coming through tomorrow and the birdies are busy. I have decided that if anyone ever tells me that I "eat like a bird" I am going to smack them up along side their head! Birds eat a ton of food!

Judy, what an understanding boyfriend you have. Hang on to him.

GG

Judy, my youngest gd drank my nectar once!! Should have seen the look on her face, priceless!

LOL, GG ain' that the truth! (bout the eating)

This message was edited Jan 16, 2008 4:33 PM

Lawrenceville, GA

My backyard was CRAZY today... While all the human residents of Georgia are headed to the grocery store for milk, bread etc. (any sign of snow here is likened to an apocolypse) the birdies are going crazy for any food I put out for 'em.

Marlton, NJ

Oh nanny Thats hysterical !! I'll bet the look on her face was priceless!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.