looking for "Blue Moon" sibirica

Hopkins, MN(Zone 4a)

I am trying to find a vendor that carries the "Blue Moon". I tried to find one on the web, but failed.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Liz

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I have a Blue Moon garden so I'd be interested, too.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Iris City Gardens has it listed:

http://iriscitygardens.com/siberian1.html

Thank you. I'm sure I bought it from them years ago but I've never seen it bloom and thought I must have lost it.

Hopkins, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Gemini Sage! I'll try it, - hopefully I'll have a better luck with these irises then Pirl had!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

You're very welcome! I've never ordered from them, but I recall they had a good Watchdog rating. A really good selection too, which makes it soooo difficult for me to decide.

pirl, you have so many gorgeous iris, you're probably the perfect one to ask. Do you find some Sibs are prolific and vigorous while others hardly move for you? My luck with them has been hit and miss. The old species (maybe Caesar) does great anywhere I put it, and Silver Edge does well, as well as some sent to me by other DGrs that I don't know the names of. But Chilled Wine, and a mauvy-lilac I've forgotten the name of are stingy with blooms and Butter and Suger never did bloom (I don't even know if its still around). Those last ones have been really slow to multiply too. Do some hybrids require richer soil and more fertilizer than others?

Pollyk has tons of experience with the Sib's. I mainly have JI's and I do love all the plants I received from Iris City Gardens. Anything that failed has to be my own fault.

Silver Edge and Caesar's Brother does wonderful for me. I must have Butter and Sugar and a white one (name escapes me - might be Snow Queen) for ten years now without a bloom. I may have deleted them on purpose, last fall. I haven't had Chilled Wine but I do love the color of it and (I think) Sultan's Ruby.

I'll ask Polly to come over and help all of us with more information.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Neal. Thanks for inviting me over, Pirl.

The answer to your question Neal, is that some siberian iris are much slower to increase than others. I think it's in their background. They have varied backgrounds inlcuding iris sibirica, typhifolia, and sanguinea.

I currently have one, 'So Van Gogh', that I was hoping for lots of increases on to share with someone, but it's slower than molasses.

Butter and Sugar is a slow growing one.

Some of them can be slow to flower, and some take more shade well, while others won't flower at all in the least bit of shade.

I don't feel any of the hybrids require any different soil than any of the others, although they all reward you for giving them great soil and quite a bit of water and fertilizer.

I think it's all in their parentage.

By the way, just some additional info: the proper way to refer to siberian iris, is just that, siberian iris, not iris sibirica. The parentage is so mixed, referring to a siberian iris by iris sibirica is not considered proper anymore.

May I continue to use "Sib's"? :-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much Polly! I'm glad to know I haven't been doing anything wrong. And I had partial shade everywhere at my old garden, so maybe I'll see a difference in the sluggish ones now that they're in the sun.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm off to start one with these ideas in mind :)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Here we go!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804684/

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, you may continue to use sibs.

Thank you, Miss Siberian. :-)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome Ms. JI.

lizzardance - I think Polly grows and sells a number of varieties in her nursery, and I understand she will be opening a mail order nursery within the next two years. You could ask her which ones she carries.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, since Neal has started a new thread for the siberians, I will post on there. it looks like lizzardance has already found the one she is looking for, and I don't want to steal her thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804684/

Hopkins, MN(Zone 4a)

Pirl,
Thanks for all the assistance and inviting Polly to the discussion table, - she is great!
I will ask her what she carries, - thanks for the idea.
Liz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.