Do we have zones over here?

Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

My name is Elaine and I have just joined Dave's Garden. Is there a UK equivalent of the US zone system? We live in Dorset, close to the sea, and the weather is generally very mild.

Elaine

Biel, Switzerland(Zone 7a)

Hi Elaine,
I hope this map helps:http://www.virtualseeds.com/euro.html
Gwist

Yes but due to our seasons differing slightly and the fact that the US have higher summer temperatures, lower winter temperature and lower rainfall figures on avaerage, they don't equate all that well.

You will be in the same zone as me which is zone 8-9.

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

I agree with Baa. The RHS Dictionary of gardening shows the USA and Euopean zones and defines the temperature bands as the same for both. But in western Europe (and particularly Britain and Ireland) we have a maritime climate which is softer at the extremes. I live near Manchester at 700 feet up in the Pennines so I get some extreme weather sometimes. Where you and Baa live is sub-tropical by comparison, so I would be tempted to try Zone 9 plants and give lots of TLC in Winter.

El Tel

I get away with leaving dahlias and gladiolis and eucomis
in the ground and my euphorbia mellifera flowers well in a west facing border it survived one night of -8 last winter. the only plant I have lost since moving to the edge of canford heath is a buddleia. How did I kill a buddleia you may ask? My garden is baked hard in summer and almost floods in winter. I planted the bush in summer and it did not survive the wet mild winter.

Elaine

I'm Martin, Elaine's husband.

>How did I kill a buddleia you may ask?

I could manage it easily.

Martin

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

Martin,

Realise that everyone has to have a special talent - you may just have realised yours !!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.