Artichoke Basics

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I am considering trying to grow some artichokes this year and would appreciate any advice from folks who have grown them before.

Can I overwinter here in Zone 7B?

Thanks
BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Can't help, BB. I have never grown artichokes or known anyone who did.

Thanks

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm going to try growing artichoke for the first time myself. I'm trying Violetta Chioggia artichoke, which I've read is hardy to zone 6 but needs a heavy mulch for winter protection. Covering with a basket and more leaves was recommended by one site I read.

I was thinking of growing that variety as well. Let's compare notes later.

BB

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds good.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have grown artichokes in both zone 7 and zone 8. I began with small plant starts from a local nursery, planting them in the ground sometime in late Spring. This gave them the summer to mature into nice big plants which had a chance of overwintering. In zone 7, it was absolutely necessary to protect them in the winter. A thick mulch was effective, with an added tarp thrown over them in the event of a big freeze overnight. It has been a while, but I think I recall getting a few chokes the first year and more in the second year. Zone 8 is easier, just enough warmer to put out sooner. My area has cool summers, so I still didn't get a lot the first year, but the second and third were fabulous. I did mulch thickly also, but the winters are less severe and the tarp is not usually necessary, though some years do have cold snaps that require it. I lost several of my plants to burrowing voles that ate the roots a few years ago. The plants that remain had chives planted around them that the voles disliked.

Thanks Maury!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

What is throwing me is, the back of the seed packet says, harvest: 180 to 360 days. Thats a pretty big window. Im wondering how many chokes you can get from one plant. or if you just get one per plant. I love them, but have never seen one growing, so im clueless as you can see.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Definitely more than one per plant. How many depends on climate, soil conditions, variety, and age of plant. I wasn't really counting, but I think I from 5 to 8 per mature plant in a good year. I have regular green globes. They don't come on all at once. In a warm winter year with no protracted cold snaps, I get a late Spring harvest as well as another later in the Summer. I think in zone 9 you could get plenty more.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I am starting my artichoke seeds today. There is some complicated rigamarole to go through to get them to hopefully produce buds the first year, and it requires starting really early. So I guess I will find out if it works. Our last frost isn't until April 30.

I just started mine as well. A couple have sprouted already!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

There's a whole thread on this from last season with some grteat advice in it.

Good luck! I'm way too lazy to even give 'em a try! ~:-)

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Three of mine have finally sprouted. I think my basement is too cold. The cultural directions I got were that they needed 70F to sprout, and I keep my thermostat at 64F, plus the basement is colder. I moved them up into the bathroom, the warmest room in the house, and two sprouted in 2 days. Clearly, the seedlings don't like cold!

I started mine in my upstairs office which gets really warm. (80-85) They sprouted in a couple of days. After transplating, I moved the flat down to the secondary room where it is much cooler.

The ones I started were Violette. I don't expect to harvest anything the first year. I forgot to order the Imperial Star. I'm hoping to get them today and get them started. They are bred to produce the first year but apparently you have to expose them to sub 50 weather for about 3 weeks to simulate the winter chill.

I'll try to post some picks when I get a chance.

BB

NE, RI(Zone 6a)

I know I am late to this thread, but there is a new artichoke that has been bred for sub-zero hardiness. It's called Northern Star, and is available at Peter's Seed and Research.

http://www.psrseed.com/gardenseed_northernstarartichoke.html

They are intended to be sown in May/June, fed heavily throughout the season, then expect harvest the following Spring.

I tried 'chokes here in RI a few years back, and they grew very well but didn't survive the winter. I'll be trying these this year.

The thing with artichokes is that they really don't like to be crowded, so give them plenty of room. A 3X3 foot square would be a minimum I'd say. Lots of compost and keep them moist. They sulk when they get a little dry, but they perk up fast when you give them a drink. They want as much sun as you can give them, and they are a gorgeous plant -- like a giant fern.

Here is a pic of that Northern Star -- wouldn't that make a lovely hedge?

UPDATE: Dang, I just went to Peter's ordering page and I see that they don't have them available. I have a pack of seeds that I ordered from them last fall, so I'll try them and report back.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2008 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by GardenScout

Garden:

That's a great pic. And they are edible!!!

Our challenge is the heat.

BB

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine is clay soil. Apparently they hate clay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.