Let's see what you have in bloom right now: Part 3.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Continuing on from part 2: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/799108/

Here's 'Residence' open fully today.

Darn camera doesn't do justice to the wonderful rusty hue of this one, but the color is a little like parts of 'Merengue'. The form heralds a new direction in the double form--narrow, long well proprtioned tepals--which are held in a way that gives a light airiness to the blossom.

Thumbnail by raydio

Again.

Thumbnail by raydio
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Wonderful!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

THAT is YUMMY!!!

Ewing, VA

Wow...I love it!

South, TX

Here is my amaryllis.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

A double cybister, how lovely!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Its nice to see an Amaryllis blooming in that nice vase.
I'm still waiting for my Residence to arrive. Just think of all the new cultivars, when they start doubling the cybisters.
This is a new one for me, "Monaco" from WFF. I haven't found a reference to it, yet, on the Dutch bulb sites. I always get a little leery when I come across a "new" cultivar. You wonder if it's just a new name for an old cultivar.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Magic Green

Thumbnail by bsharf
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh I like the way MG glistens!

Here is my Lady Jane...I post on another thread but I didn't see this one before I started mine....

Thumbnail by JanetS
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It is amazing how Residence has a multi-cybister form, double doesn't seem to quite fit this form!

bsharf, Monaco is on this site, you will have to select 'by product name' then type in 'amaryllis', it's well down the list which isn't alphabetical. It looks spot on.

http://www.plantscope.nl/pls/pscprdpub/psc_htm_utils.psc_startframeset?pnTalId=1

Oh, that Monaco!

I think it really is a new cultivar--haven't seen any earlier release that it could be.

The subtle shadings around the star are lovely, hinting of blue-violet, especially in the WFF pic. The flat-faced open form is superb! And the roundish-looking center is alluring--like that seen in 'Amsterdam' and 'Pink Diamond'. I think it's a winner.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The entry date on the plantscope site is 6th February 07, the date is show if you look at the fact sheet then enlarge the pic.

Residence may have been on sale in Europe under the name "Double Merengue":

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Hippeastrum/cultivars/H_Double_Merengue/Double_Merengue.html

Interesting that 'Monaco' was listed as "cut flower" on plantscope. Glad it made it to the dry bulb market!

Love that Magic Green, too, bsharf.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I just checked plantscope, and my Monaco looks legitimate. I am always glad to get a new cultivar, esp after the two "illegitimate" Naughty Ladies.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This is "Vera" from Parks that is now in bloom. This is a new one for me. Do you think it is Vera or Susan? Without seeing them side by side, I'm not really sure.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Another photo of Vera?

Thumbnail by bsharf
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Whatever her name, the color is vivid!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Another one of the McClure and Zimmerman's mystery cultivars. This was sold as "Carina" and is now in bloom. Carina is a miniature with blooms 4-5 inches in diameter, according to Read. This bloom is 7" in diameter, and the scape is nearly 2 feet tall. I assume that this is actually one of the standard reds that MZ carries. 4 out of the 16 bulbs that I got from MZ this season were mislabelled, that's 25%, awfully high!

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Another photo of the mystery bloom

Thumbnail by bsharf

I just can't quite figure these two out. I think that one could easily be substituted for the other...not that anyone actually would without telling us {ow, my cheek is hurting from thrusting my tongue in there so pointedly} :-0

In her description, she states that Susan has darker pink markings ringing the center and is "carmine-pink". Vera is described as red-pink and flat-faced. No mention of markings.

Here are the two at plantscope.nl.

Susan:

http://www.plantscope.nl./pls/pscprdpub/psc_htm_utils.psc_startframeset?pnTalId=1

Vera:

http://www.plantscope.nl./pls/pscprdpub/psc_htm_utils.psc_startframeset?pnTalId=1

I see that Susan is lighter in color and has reflexed tepals, and Vera is truly flat-faced. The pic of Susan is so bad, that the center is just muddy-looking and the dots aren't discernible. But Vera has dots!

So where does that leave us?

If only by the form, I'd say yours is Vera, and the deeper reddish color backs that up.

Now, on to 'Carina'. First off, as you point out, the size is much too large, so it is doubtful that it is Carina. We can safely rule out your plant's being Carina already.

But, we could go on a bit, just to make certain...

There is one thing that is distinctive (but not entirely unique) about Carina are the dark red pedicels. This feature can sort out certain other possibilities if all else is equal, say, if a questioned flower was the same size.

So--- Does yours have dark red pedicels?

Boojum made some pictures last March that showed her Carina in bloom and close-ups of the red pedicels.

I can't find the thread that has the close-up but here is one of her posts where she describes the flower as 4.5-5" as you pointed out, which is spot on:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/692234/

Maybe she'll share the close-ups that she posted to show you the lovely deep red pedicels....

Oh, bsharf--

as to what you *do* have...

It looks like 'Floris Hekker' in color and form (and it is a gorgeous red hybrid you have). But I haven't grown it, so I can only go by Read's size and she has it at 5.5-6". Maybe they can be larger than she states?

It really looks close, but I'll keep looking for an alternate.

ED: looking at MZ's stock, Furore seems to match.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 9:52 PM

Your wish is my command! Turns out Carina is trying to bloom as we speak (type).

Thumbnail by boojum

Last year for Carina.

Thumbnail by boojum
Ewing, VA

Just trying to help out here...

These might help...

My Floris Hecker last season. Gave out 3 scapes with 4-6 blooms/scape.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And Susan also last season...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

and maybe a close-up could help...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the imput. Mariava: I don't see the darker marking around the center of your Susan. I have a Susan coming from RC. So far they have been good about correctly labeled bulbs, so chances are good that it will be Susan. After it blooms, I'll compare photos and report back.
As to the "Carina". It has green pedicels so it definately has ruled out Carina. It could be Floris Hekker, since the bloom size is pretty close, and the color is close to the photo of FH that I have. Though, in my sometimes hazy memory, the FH bulb size, and the scape thickness and height, were much smaller than this bulb. I have a Furore growning, and will compare photos after it blooms. I'm not going to go CRAZY over this, since Reds are really difficult to ID, and chances are high that whatever this is, I have a duplicate.
To change the subject: This is a Bingo that is now in bloom. Reminds me of Ragtime, but in a smaller package.

Thumbnail by bsharf

I agree about the many reds looking so much alike. Such a tough call. Indeed, one mustn't lose sleep over it! And the same for the Vera/Susan thing.

The little white tips are one thing I noticed that seemed to point to Floris. I see them in Maria's pic.

Maybe someone else has more keys to Susan/Vera and something to add about your red one, bsharf.

One thing about scape sizes: in winter, for me, they almost always exceed the lengths given. The light is so poor that they stretch beyond the lengths I get in summer when they're outdoors. The scapes are more compact with better light, with grow-lights on them or in a greenhouse in winter. Some of the dwarf hybrids seem to stretch less. Maybe they don't need as much light?

Thanks Boojum. :-) Be sure to take some pix of the pedicels when they're first exposed--they're so dark and deep then.

Lovely Bingo!

Here's the pic Robert is referring to.

Thumbnail by boojum
Ewing, VA

bsharf...The pictured Susan also came from Royal Colors last season. My Bingo from ABC is taking foreeeevveerrr to flower but has two scapes out. Yayyyy!

raydio...That is so true with the "little ones". I have no problems about staking them when they are grown indoors at this time of the year. One reason why I love them. Here's a pic of some of them last summer, not even a year after planting.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

bsharf...The pictured Susan also came from Royal Colors last season. My Bingo from ABC is taking foreeeevveerrr to flower but has two scapes out. Yayyyy!

raydio...That is so true with the "little ones". I have no problems about staking them when they are grown indoors at this time of the year. One reason why I love them. The Sonatas and Sonatinis in particular are very good potted plants. Here's a pic of some of them last summer, not even a year after planting.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Ooooops...sorry!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Well if your Susan comes from RC, then its most like a good ID. Look at all the cute little babies.

bsharf~

How many buds are in each scape of your not-Carina?

R.

Ewing, VA

Delightful little ones that are in bloom now...

Trentino

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Christmas Star

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Lovely Garden....finally :-)

Thumbnail by mariava7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Raydio. My mystery red has 3 blooms on one scape, and 2 buds on the second scape. Here are some of today's photos. 1

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

photo 2

Thumbnail by bsharf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.