Other growing water systems I have used.

Louisville, KY

I built this system a few years ago for growing my large number of canna hybrids and getting cannas ready to flower before spring. This system is nothing more than plants sitting in water but the water level has to be only 1/2 inch to maybe 2 inches for 1 gallon pots. In some cases if it was cold I had a few problems with rot. When the system was warm it worked beautiful for the cannas and Elephant ears. I still have this system up but it is now so full of Philodendrons and other plants you cannot see it.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

pic of the tables

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

pots on table

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

plants growing in the water a few weeks after planting.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

The years I used this system the cannas grew better than they ever had before and flowered earlier.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Hybrid canna seedlings being planted on the table

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

A few weeks later these seedlings really jumped. I think the cannas react well to this system due to most being able to grow in water naturally.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

How and what do you do to transcition them back to the dirt?How long does it take to ween them off the water contact? Don

Louisville, KY

Don the cannas seem fairly tough when it comes to moving them into the dirt with a good watering they usually will not skip a beat. Now with colocasias and other plants taking them out of the system is a lot harder for the plant. Usually leaves are removed that flop down and they should be put in a new area with regular watering as soon as possible. I have before started trays of some plants get them well rooted then leave them in the system for a few weeks once nice and healthy and usually before the roots start to show out of the bottom they are moved to a regular bench were they are regularly watered. The transition has to be watched closely some plants deal with it easily while others take it rough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.