I.pseudacorus

South Hamilton, MA

Please, all people interested in irises read the article on Iris pseudacorus. It is invasive and banned in several states including my state of MA. The agriculture dept. here doesn't say to destroy old plantings of invasive plants, in the case of the Norway maple that would be very difficult. But it asks not to plant new banned plants. CT seems to allow garden cultivars(hybridized plants). One such cultivar is 'Sea Krill' a ivory greenish form, but I don't know if other states follow that rule.

Some garden catalogs list cultivars 'Berlin Tiger' and 'Holden's Child' as I. pseudacorus. Luckily they are actually descendents of a pseudacorus crossed with another species found in an English garden. This species cross is 'Holden Clough' and the second species involved has not been discovered. They are not very fertile. 'Holden's Child' is violet and is the work of a MA hybridizer, now deceased. It is a cross of 'Holden Clough' by itself and she had to work hard to get any germination. So these plants can be grown without fear of seeds being a problem.

Lebanon, OR

Here in OR we as growers are told NOT to sell the yellow flag pseudacorus. as it is highly invasive. It is on the invasive but not ban list yet, just give it time. There are still many people selling the native pseudacorus on Ebay...scarely.

I have several of the highbreds, and Holden's Child, Holden Clough have caused any grief but I DO NOT plant any near a water way either.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I really enjoyed the article, however wished she had mentioned that the cultivars do not appear to be invasive, nor do the lovely crosses such as the fantastic new pseudatas being hybridized by Hiroshi Shimizu and others.

South Hamilton, MA

I think the article was meant for the general gardener who might wish to buy "something yellow". We can all help by pointing people towards these new creations.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

So many people think if it has 'pseud' in the name it must be invasive, but that's not the case.

I'm all for pointing people towards the new (and old) pseudacorus hybrids.

Here's some photos of the new eyeshadow irises. I think they are absolutely lovely. And very easy to grow, also.

http://www.tamberg.homepage.t-online.de/homep23e.htm

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Although I know the hybrids are less invasive I still won't have it one the property unles it is a sterile cross like many of the pseudatas. I have intermittent water ways that empty into native waters and I want to take no chance. Some of the best hybridizers, "Experts" on this plant still have escapes from their gardens. Included is a picture, although not great, this little stream along the side of her property is 50+ feet from the pseudacorus plot. One clump of the plant was found 200+ feet down stream. I just can not take the chance even though it is only on the invasive and not banned list here in Maryland I already see starts of it begining in the Susquehanna River which empties directly into the Chesapeake Bay. I and others are working to remove any that we see and even with young starts we can not always be sure we have it all.

I was a host garden this passed Spring and have had Sea Krill for three years, in a double tub in a sealed pond. I cut away and burn any seed pods and can not wait until the region takes it this year.

Anita

South Hamilton, MA

Anita--sorry that the plants are escaping in MD. If everyone would pick off seed pods wherever they see it , that would be a great help. the seeds do float. L.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Could you repost the picture, Anita. Thanks.

I have had Krill in my garden for a few years now, and it has produced no viable seeds. I have only had Seakrill since last year. I do not have them near any waterways and am paying very good attention to see if any of the pseud crosses set viable seeds. I've seen none yet. The one I most worry about is my pseud variegata. I love the leaves on it, and deadhead the flowers long before they set seed. My daughter has instructions if anything should happen to me to get it out, and burn it.

Of course it may be the pseud crosses set viable seeds in warmer areas, and they just winterkill here. A lot are so new we just don't know yet.

Everyone needs to be very responsible with any of the invasive plants, but there's no reason we can't grown some of the cultivars that have been proven sterile.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 10:50 AM

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

opps oh I forgot that didn't I
sorry

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

this is I. pseudoacorus in the Toutle River that was destroyed by the erruption at MT St. Helens. This was taken at a back wash of the river and the stand is about 50' across 2-200' long on both sides of the river. This will spread a long way

Thumbnail by avmoran
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Anita.

It's so sad. They are so pretty, especially in a natural setting like that. Too bad they are so invasive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.