BBQ Suet Cakes

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

This weekend I recooked the suet that I drained off of a brisket earlier last week, and mixed it with birdseed to make 10 suet cakes in a muffin tin. The brisket had sauce on it so the suet cakes smell and taste(I assume) like BBQ. After I poured the mixture into the tin, I sat it outside in the bed of my truck, so varmits couldn't get to it. The next morning they were all hardened and popped easily out of the tin. I then made little wire cages for each one and placed them on trees and posts all around my property. Before a few weeks ago, I had never heard of suet, but then I read a DG article telling how to make it. I just put them up yesterday, so I haven't seen any birds eating off of them, yet. But there was one male cardinal that was looking at one quite a bit yesterday. Also, my neighbors gave me a cedar birdhouse and a pair of blue birds has been in and out, so they may move in soon. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics. Do y'all think the birds will like the BBQ suet?

Thumbnail by broncbuster
Marlton, NJ

Sure they like all flavors of suet.

It just takes them a little while to get accustomed to something new.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh cool! Thanks for the great info Pelletory!

Marlton, NJ

I have Hot Pepper suet out that the birds are enjoying but the squirrels aren't touching it.

That won't last for long. :-)

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't have to worry about squirrels, yet as my property is mostly grassland and limestone embankments with the only big trees being hackberries. But when all my oaks, pecans and other trees start getting big I'll have to remember Hot Pepper Suet.

We had one squirrel that started coming into the yard at this time last year, but there's a dead squirrel on the main road and I believe it's him. It was bound to happen as he had to cross the main road to get to our house from his oak grove about a half mile away.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, I can just see all the stray dogs converging on your suet cakes. HA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.