hawthorns from seed?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if anyone has grown hawthorn trees from seed?
I took some hips from some trees in a rest area.

Bryan, TX(Zone 8b)

My boyfriend has a huge one that came from seed, but he's quick to point out it took 25 years to get that big. We're in Texas.

My uncle in Seattle had three come up from seed, that was 12 years ago and they are huge. In both cases, a bunch were planted and a few came up.

I hope someone else has more useful info!

Orwell, VT

I believe that hawthorns need some sort of stratification in order to germinate, googling might help you out.

I've germinated Crataegus mollis from seed and have shared the seedlings with members here. David_Vermont is correct. They do need cold stratification and even then they might not germinate the following spring.

Orwell, VT

Hawthorns are one of my favorite trees. I grew up on a dairy farm and as a kid I loved to visit the hawthorns that grew in the cow pastures. These trees have tons of character....... twisting branches, thorns, flowers, berries....... seem to represent something timeless.... no wonder our Celtic ancestors have a lot to say about them.

David

Yes, their silhouette once they drop their leaves is outstanding.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

thank you all very much. I have about a quart of hips so I'm gonna plant them when I get home.

Yes, anytime I'm up against a possible double dormancy situation I will generally just plant them out.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Crataegus (Hawthorn) has an impermeable coat that is difficult to breakdown without acid treatment. You can try several periods of very hot water. They do require stratification. Three months in a plastic bag stored in a fridge does the trick. I treat eastern redbud seeds the same way. I'm not confident enough to use sulfuric acid - you must be careful with the stuff. Dirr recommends a 30 minute treatment of sulfuric acid or hot water (190 degrees) soakings for eastern redbud. The hot water treatment works well enough for me. Good luck - they are worth trying.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

they've had some cold stratification as I ok picked them off the ground in IL a couple days ago. They are in my warm truck now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.