CLOSED: New bird to me.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I had set up the bird cam when this fellow landed. It was out of the focus range and is not a sharp picture, but I hope enough for an ID. My first thought was Goldfinch, but have never seen one with yellow in the winter, which is the only time I see them.

Thanks, trois

Thumbnail by trois
Marlton, NJ

American Goldfinch

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

We were fooled one year too! Then we started paying more attention as they ate from the thistle feeders during the winter months. The more thistle they ate,the more they yellowed up. They were completely filled out in their summer attire by the end of February☺

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Trois and posy I noticed our GF are starting to look more yellow! I thought it was just me!

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

HAHA!dellrose. I am glad Trois asked about it because the first time we observed this,DH and I thought it was our imagination☺We have been watching 20+ Gold Finch for a few years now and it always happens,every year. They are a fun,fun bird to watch, so acrobatic☺

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL! DH asked me the other day what those yellow birds were!! I'm glad to know it's not my eyesight! They are very entertaining and as you say acrobatic! They never cease to entertain!! They are very brave and are the last to leave and the first to return if something frightens them!

Saint Paul, MN

The Goldfinches getting their color back is good news to me. It means they will soon be on their way back to mate and that means spring! It is five degrees as I write this. :-(

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We have a couple of cheap tube feeders out that are filled with sunflower seeds. The last couple days we have had 50 to a hundred of these guys flitting around all the feeders. The tubes are emptied in just a couple hours.

I too noticed alot more yellow than normal for this time of year. I tried to get a picture of the feeders just hanging full of birds, but they catch a glimpse of me in the window and have to reflock to come in. Neat sight to see though, even if they are eating us out of house and home.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Brrr Jo! That is really cold and I know you are looking forward to spring!

Cpartschick...They are fun to watch...I have feeders in several areas around the yard and they swarm everyone of them! They will eat you out of house and home but are worth the $ and effort! I just love to photo them as they are so photogenic!

Rose

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I agree. It is worth it to see the flutter bys.

Metairie, LA

I love the goldfinches that come through the area (Louisiana) and visit my bird feeder. They are lovely little birds -- love to hear and see them flying -- they have that sweeping motion through the air that is so distintive. A big flock of them are around my two finch feeders (nyger seeds). I get them every year and must be on a migration route because a friend of mine a couple blocks away doesn't get them at all. They usually leave around March -- the feeder suddenly isn't empty as often.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I have seen a couple more of these. They are starting to feed at the feeder, but don't stay long.

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

No picture, but I was excited to see a bird new to my yard, yesterday at dusk. Brown thrasher was feeding on the ground near where I had put fruit and food for the robins and mockingbirds. He would jump up and down and then peck / scratch in the ground. Then he would jump up and down again. It was fascinating to watch. I wish I could have gotten a video. Just wanted to share.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

I still have not gotten any Goldfinches. Usually they are here around Christmas. I guess the weather allowed them to stay a little further north.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Congrats on the new bird JulieQ! I always get excited when I see a new one in the yard!

Frank...All the Goldfinches are in my yard eating me out of house and home!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.