Daily Pics. Vol. #52

Marlton, NJ

No Frank they don't migrate. :-)

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Soon after the young house finches got their adult feathers they all disappeared. Some started coming back about a week ago.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics guys.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

This American Coot had a string of duckweed or something stuck on it's beak. It was trying to shake it off the whole time I watched it. I wished I could just swim out there and take it off for him. Hopefully it was just vegetation and not fishing line or something.

There were lots of these Coots all over the water. The girls called them "evil" because of their red eyes, lol. Of course when I got home and went to look up what they were, I first looked in my book under the ducks and didn't find them. Luckily, they came up on the Cornell website with the keyword "duck" because they are often confused with ducks. In truth, they don't even have webbed feet, but "lobed" toes.

Thumbnail by PeeperKeeper
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Refreshing to see your birds Ken! Nice start for the dailies! Now is summer just beginning there? Guess the bugs & butterflies are getting heavy, and here come the birds! Keep stopping by, please?

Wonderful shots everyone!

Today...

RW Blackbird

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Two stately gentlemen at the waterhole...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Breaking for some cherries...

American Robin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The tiny Inca Dove kept practicing different camouflage's, doing very well at it!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lastly, Cardinal getting her breakfast..

All for today! :-)

Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics Frank,Peeper and debnes!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

debnes when I first looked at "Two stately gentlemen" I thought that the bluebird on the corner was real, and wondered why you named the pic after the Robins when you'd caught a bluebird in such a beautiful pose.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Debnes..Your lady must be my lady's cousin. Looks like they even enjoy the same type of habitat.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

After the storm. Bohemian Waxwings.

Ken,
I always enjoy your pictures. Most of the birds in your photos seem so exotic, on this side of the world. However, the tern and snip could pass for local, until taking a closer look.

Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Resin,
I'm guessing the Eagle on the left is a third winter bird. What age would you put on it?
Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I've been trying to figure out, how this Bald Eagle managed to land here without disturbing snow on the branches, except under its feet.
Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Wow! Amazing photos, Gary! Absolutely gorgeous!!

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Wow! Awesome pictures everyone! I almost hate putting any of mine here now due to noble birds being posted already. I love seeing the different birds from Australia, Kennedy and Grasmussen, those eagles are fantastic!

Here's a little winter Bluebird that we see very infrequently. They are here, but don't like to eat from the feeder, I guess.

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Today was the second sunny day in a row, after a week of snow storms. The beauty of snow frosted trees against a blue sky, was a welcome reward after dark stormy days. There was so much snow on this Birch tree, I could hardly get a view of the Eagle.
Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Cute Tufted Titmouse. He looked cold.

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Finally got a day of sun too.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

The Dove is blending in with the brick.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The Bald Eagle pictures were taken in the residential area near the Anchorage Police Department's Eagle River Station. Many Eagles roost in the area. The heaviest roosting area is away from the streets on large private lots. Only Eagles roosting near a street are available to the photographer.
Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Wow Gary the Eagle pics are great!The snow on the trees looks so beautiful!

Creekwalker very nice pics! Have you ever used mealy worms to attract Bluebirds to your feeder? Theres also some homemade suets their supposed to like.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I was showing dh linth's eagle pics last night. He told me I better get busy & get down to the lake and get some pics of ours that are that good! LOL

Great shots, Gary!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I'm guessing the Eagle on the left is a third winter bird. What age would you put on it?

Probably yes, though it isn't an exact science - some individuals are likely to mature a bit faster than others, so there can be overlap in characteristics between birds of different ages.

Haven't seen documentation on this for Bald Eagles specifically, but it is known for several other species with multiple-year immature development, that e.g. a known (banded) 4-year old individual can have 'younger' plumage characters than a known 3-year old individual.

Resin

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pics Kennedy! It is wonderful that we get a chance to see birds that we don't see here (at least not in the Ozarks)!

Creekwalker...Welcome to the BW Forum...that is a nice shot of the TT. I can't get them to land long enuf to take a pic. We are also in the Ozarks and south of Cole Camp. It is beautiful here and I am just discovering the treasures it holds.

Gary...Love your Eagle...we have them here but have only seen the tops of their heads from a distance. DH saw one on a treetop recently along the road!! I missed it but am now on the lookout!

Indiana Lily..that is the cutest little bird...is it a Wren? I can almost hear it singing and it makes me smile everytime I see it!

Thanks for entertaining me with all of your pics everyone!

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Dellrose :)

Yep, that's a Carolina Wren. Very brave little birds too. I went out to put some more peanuts on the ground around a tree this morning and he just sat there watching me, I didn't bother him one bit. The Carolina Wrens and White Breasted Nuthatches are the only birds that don't fly away when I go outside. :)

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

CW, your bluebird is great!

Keenedy, I agree it is so nice to see pics of birds from other places. A refreshing change!

Nice pics, burn! We are back to gray & cloudy again. Does not help me get motivated to get things done either! lol

Mr. Sharpie passed through yesterday and has already been here today but was to fast for me to get photo. He is just not as cooperative as my Red-shouldered Hawk in posing for me.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great Eagles Gary! Thanks for sharing them! I love the crisp scenery.

LOL Frank yep they like the same bare ground areas, and rather avoid the crowds. Especially the females. Aside from the loud mango lipstick, they are pretty modest.

Haha PK, I wish I did get bluebirds, but not so far.. They do get them just north of me, in the thicker wooded areas only about 3-5 miles away. (Robins always looked like dignified gentlemen men in suits to me.. lol.

Cute little "butter butt" YRW there burn.. I love the Warblers!!!

Here is Orange-crowned W sneaking around in the host beds this morning...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Dark-eyed Junco singing in the bare Vitex...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

more Junco... we have several of these hanging out here

Hi Dellrose! Nice to meet a neighbor! For some reason the TT's have settled down here. At first I couldn't get shots of them either. They would land just long enough to grab a seed, then fly off. Now they hang around a lot longer. I've been able to get some pretty good pics of them.

Thanks nanny. That was the closest I could get to the Bluebird. They just don't hang around like the others. I just took some new pics this morning and need to see if any came out well enough to post.

In the meanwhile, here are some Purple Finches that we only get in the winter.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Well, I did get one of a Downey W playing with his food!

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Another picture of him.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

A warmer looking TT

Thumbnail by creekwalker

A White Breasted Nuthatch taking off

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

creekwalker, Looks like the Downy W is a little camera shy! LOL! Kind of like these California Quail that I had to hide behind the tree from so I could get the shot! LOL!
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105

Woodpecker convention. Ok, maybe just two of them.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

And last, but not least of this mornings pics, a Snowbird. Junco.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Hi Susan, I am always admirable of anyone who can get a shot of those kind of birds. They are hard to get!

That Downy does seem camera shy. lol Here's one of his face. And a little Chickadee too.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.