Composting shredded leaves in bag VS pile

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I got several supernice bags of leaf shred plus grass clipping mix. I know I've read about leaving it in the bags. I poked a bunch of holes in some. Good and hot when fresh, but at this time, gettng dry inside and the wet parts getting soggy, and not much action. I'm feeling I'd get more action if I dump them in my big bin, where I can mix and moisten better. Or do I just try being patient, till the spring sun gets them cooking again?

Edinburg, IL(Zone 6a)

Today, January and very cold here, I went through several bags of shredded leaves and grass clippings. Most were cooking. I believe if the grass [green matter] and shredded leaves [brown matter] are mixed well they should be well on their way to becoming compost. If they are soggy on one side and dry on the other it sounds like you need to rotate the bags. If it is soggy just in the center and dry around the perimeter it should be mixed. Maybe you could use your arm to do this. I didn't punch any holes in the bags but I did leave the bag loosely open.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

That sound about right! Soggy on one side dry on the other. I think you need to punch holes in the bags though.

LOL, soggy and dry spots. I have been turning them and trying to decide if the moisture will trickle down, or rise as steam and condense.
Any more votes for lots of holes?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

If you have sprinkled some water in, after poking lots of small holes in your bags of leaf-shred and grass clippings (or leaving the bags open to the rain/snow) you will have great compost--eventually--if you just leave everything to cook in the plastic bags. OR you could put everything into your compost bin and do the tossing-thing there. Either way, it will work, but will take longer if you leave the mix in the bags. It just depends on how impatient you are -- I'm pretty impatient, so this Fall I decided to try to speed things up by tossing some handfuls of alfalfa pellets (along with a good sprinkle of water) into my bags of grass clippings and leaves. So far, the contents are settling down nicely.
Now that I've been composting for a few years, I've noticed how Mother Nature does her thing regardless.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's what I know: Dry - no microbial action. Soggy - anaerobic bacterial action (anaerobes also break stuff down, but it's slower & often smells). If you mix the leaves up so that the soggy stuff is aerated and the dry stuff is at least damp, the process works a little faster.

I would only suggest bags for folks who don't have a regular bin or one that is too full - if you have room in your regular bin, I'd say you're just making more work for yourself to keep the bags going.

I sure do thank you guys / gals for the opinions. I was out messing with them again today. I think you have summed it up, though, its easier to keep it moistened and aired in the bin VS the bags. Especially as these were packed tight to start.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Mmmm ... yeah.

the bag I dumped yesterday is already steaming today. Dumped two more.
Emeril doesn't cook with the same ingredients I do but, Oh, yeah baby, I kicked it up a notch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.