Looking for an ID on this tree

Coffs Harbour, Australia

The trunk is mottled and the tree is a conical dome shape about 6 metres high (not to good at height measurement guestimates)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

The leaves have no discernable aroma when crushed and the owner has never seen a flower or fruit/nut on it since she has lived there, (5 or so years)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Branch arrangements. The tree is evergreen but drops many leaves all the time, how ever is never bare, so I guess semi-deciduous? I have also posted this in the plant ID forum without much luck. Guesses are welcome.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Oh guesses huh ... ok it does look a little like my black bean tree and the fact that this tree has not flowered or fruited does not mean it won't. for example a seedling walnut (which it also looks like ) takes 12 years, Honestly I don't know what it is ...I hope someone does.
chrissy

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

Its Flindersia (see link in Plant ID forum). At 6m tall it should probably start flowering in the next year or two...

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I've been googling Crows ash and Flindersia, but cant find any photos of mature trees. The one in question has growth beginning about 2 metres from the ground, where as the ones in the images have tall thin trunks, probly plantation grown. I will get another pic of the complete tree and post it soon. Thanks for everyones help.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2008 5:26 PM

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

That conical dome shape is very typical for the adolescent tree..

Brisbane/Ipswich, Australia

I agree. It looks like a form of Flindersia. The mottled trunk is very distinctive.
The leaves also resemble a Cassia fistula..........but it would've flowered by now if it was that for sure.

Maybe the reason for non-flowering could be due to it being grown from seed. (as most are I'm sure) , but its genes may just be slow to get move on!

Mid North Coast,NSW, Australia

Take a look through these images on this site-maybe do a search of Flindersia australis.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/australianrainforestplants/

I do have the tree growing so will take some pics today and post to the above site tonight for your comparison.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

OMg, I just lost my whole post. STOMP, STOMP, STOMP! *pulling out hair*
O.k Hey Rainforestman, (visions of Tarzan swinging through trees)
I cant get access to the tree untilll next week. but will bring some home for a visual aid while researching it.
Meanwhile, the weeds are growing like weeds, and the lawns are growing like grass.
Nice to meet you Tarzan, and thanks for your input!
Sue

Mid North Coast,NSW, Australia

Hey I like that name,I should change my username.LOL and of course nice to meet you too-figuratively speaking that is.
Tell me about the way things are growing,particularly the grass unfortunately-don't think we have had as much rain as you guys up there though.
Have you asked about that tree at the Coffs Botanic Gardens.
Here is a picture of Flindersia australis.
I have uploaded a couple more to my flickr site also.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackdiamondimages/

Thumbnail by Rainforestman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.