Sandspurs

Willow Spring, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone have sure-fired method of eradicating sandspurs?

Conway, SC

Check this out Kittenvan. Clemson Extension has a great web site. Scroll down to "Sandbur". I did not know that a sandspur was Southern Sandbur.

http://hgic.clemson.edu./factsheets/hgic2300.htm

Thanks for the info. If anyone else as any recommendations or tried and true methods, please let me know. I've done pre-emergence to some extent, hand pulled a lot, and have even mowed and bagged when it was tall enough. With a half acre in the back, I'm looking for cost wise, as well as effective. My cat Lily looks so pitiful when she's pulling out one of the burs from her paws. Thanks again!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I hate those things. Lived next to the beach and we had them growing along the walk way somewhere. Couldn't get to the beach barefooted or they would get you ever time. Do I know how to get rid of them? NO. Sorry.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2008 1:56 PM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Evil things aren't they? I would continue to mow, as low as you can go on a regular basis and bag the clippings so you don't spread any seeds. Theoretically if there are no leaves the plant can't photosynthesize and it will eventually starve to death. This is not a quick fix however, it can take several years. Weeds seem to have a strong reserve.

I haven't seen any Sand Spurs here but we have the beggars lice which stick in my dogs hair and while they do not hurt, they are a bear to get out.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i hand dig, but they just keep coming back. eventually you'll get rid of them with this method unless you have a really big yard. a half-acre is a lot to deal with. if you don't have a lot of "wanted" plants/grass in that area, i would round-up the whole area next fall before it gets cold.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I just want to know how you got sand spurs in Willow Springs?
I live in Raleigh part time and have never seen them in our area. We do have them at our place on the coast.

Lavina

Willow Springs is in an area just South of Raleigh where the soil is pure sand. It's great for digging holes, but the sand spurs seem to be my penance for such luck! Thanks everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.