Black Sapote fruits everywhere!

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

I planted this Black Sapote tree about 12 years ago, and about 5 years ago it started bearing fruit. The first year it made 3 very large fruits. Each year, the crop has gotten larger in quantity, still with these huge fruits.
There are many at the top of the tree and when they ripen and fall, it sounds like a bomb! Doesn't look very pretty when they hit something underneath, like the white fence...

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

A bunch still on the tree

Here's a pic with my hand, showing how large the fruit are

This message was edited Jan 12, 2008 5:11 PM

Here's one, splat on the ground!
The bees and fruit flies are in heaven.

This one really went splat! Doesn't really look all that appetizing, does it?

We like to combine a glob of the fruit with cold milk, banana and a little chocolate syrup in the blender, sometimes add vanilla ice cream for a nice dessert mix.
Most of the fruits don't have any seeds, occasionally I'll find one, or maybe two seeds in the whole mass of pulp.

Cathy

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks good...the ones in the tree, not the ground. :~)

Pepper, thank goodness they taste (and smell) better than they look!
A local guy told me that when he was a kid, he and the other kids used to throw the soft fruits at each other. Feel sorry for those who didn't run fast...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. One year my youngest brother, his best friend and our dad played baseball with apples. Hit them with 2x4s and 2x6s and by the time we were done the boys were covered in apple juice. My dad and I didn't envy them one bit!! LOL

Hi pepper how is your cold? hope you feel ok
s they are supposed to be related to persimmons aren't they? I have the white Sapote know nothing about it ...I envy your black one ...mine flowered for the 1st time this year and I had a handful of fruit which went poof in a big hail storm ...have you ever tried those? and what do your black ones taste like? do you have the fruit fly problem with them?
chrissy

Chrissy, yes the Black Sapote and persimmons are related. These fruit looks sort of like a giant persimmon, only dark green in color. I've never tried the White Sapote. Sorry to hear about the hail episode!
These fruit don't have a whole lot of taste, very bland and mushy. To enjoy them we blend the pulp with other stuff. They do have a fair amount of nutrition in them, but not everyone can get past the look of a cowpie!
Once the fruits fall and smoosh open, the fruit flies and bees are all over them. I just cover them with a sprinkling of dirt if the fruit flies get too obnoxious.
One other note- this tree is nearly indestructible! It's gone through all the storms we've had in the past ten years with hardly even losing a leaf. The bark is beautiful dark brown and the leaves are always dark green and shiny!
Cathy

Thanks for that ...my tree is very pretty too.Pretty leaves and delicate white flowers ...I love the way it looks fruit would be a bonus :)
chrissy

I hope so, I've heard the White Sapote taste good!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

I love the black sapote, like you said it can be somewhat bland p but I find them very tasty. They make a wonderful ice cream or shake/smoothie.

White Sapote is very good. Much more flavorful to many than the black. Sweeter, more fruit-like in its flavor, kind of banana/melon/peachy flavored.

Popper, do you grow the white sapote?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

yea

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

White Sapote is in the Rutaceae family (Citrus etc.)
Black Sapote is in the Ebenaceae family along with Persimmon and Ebony.

Persimmon wood is hard. Used to make golf club heads ("Woods") and walking-sticks.
Black Sapote is also called Chocolate Pudding Fruit-not because it tastes like chocolate pudding but because it looks like it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.