I just moved two of my compost piles...

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I moved two out of five of my compost bins. I moved them because they are in the most fertile part of the yard. I plan on using that area for a vegatble garden. Here's some pictures. The tree in the foreground is a Persinom. I planted right in the middle of the garden area when I thought I wouldn't have one again.

Thumbnail by Dean_W

There was compost that was matted up. Leaves were dry coffee was wet, etc.

Thumbnail by Dean_W

Pictures after I moved thhe piles....Will apply dryed molasses...

Thumbnail by Dean_W
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Fabulous work, Dean. I will consider these to be "before" pictures, looking forward to next summer's "after" pics!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Are they the reason that is the most fertile area in the yard?

I use to have a garden there. I had trucked in bags and bags of composted manure. It used to be well tilled. I plan on a vegetable garden now.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

fresh home grown veggies! I envy you the space and sun to do that. Just thinking about fresh sweet corn, tomatoes warm from the garden and crisp pod peas to pop into the mouth like candy...yummy... now I am hungry for a garden salad!

I wish someone could tell me how close to the tree I can till. I got a tiller coming next weekend and would be appreciate any advice.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I think the common answer is to not till inside the drip line of any tree. Some tree roots expand beyond this but at that point pruning them back or chopping then up is less likely and should cause little or no damage to the tree.

Thanks, Zany!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Your welcome. I don't garden on such a scale but I was told that when we went to dig a small garden patch years ago.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I would give the exact same advice.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Same here.........your tree drip line should match or exceed the longest branches on the tree. What kind of tiller? And those bins look great! Ya did good, son. I'm so proud! :)

It's my brother's Craftman tiller. It's a front tine tiller. O Well!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.