They're Back!!!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy 1st Anniversary to this Forum! I remember last year when I was one of the very first folks to post! I read through and love to look at all the amazing photos here! Better than any birding magazine I've seen! :-) But I don't photograph birds much, so rarely have anything to contribute.

Every year a huge flock of Robins converge upon my yard (and neighborhood). Well ... they were back yesterday and there must have been hundreds of them all over my yard and eating the berries from the Brazilian Pepper trees that are growing wild in the vacant lots surrounding my yard. I have a number of water gardening pots around my yard, so they always head to them for a drink. I have heard the berries make them thirsty as well as drunk when they add liquids to their bellies! LOL! They were acting rather crazy!

Here are some photos I took while they gathered at the watering holes! LOL!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

WHO YOU LOOKING AT???? LOL!

Am I correct in assuming that the lighter colored Robin is a female? If so, the males were out in full force because I didn't see too many like this lighter colored bird.

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful photos Becky!!

Thanks for posting them!

Right now I'm only seeing Robins flying by or way up in tall trees so this was a nice change to see your pics.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2008 10:13 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Am I correct in assuming that the lighter colored Robin is a female?

Not an absolute certainty, but very likely yes.

There is also some geographical variation, and a female from a dark population (e.g. Newfoundland breeders) might be darker than a male from a paler population, but generally, females are paler.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.