let's hear about your Hosta purchases so far this year

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

it's not even Feb. yet and I've spent $400 on hostas. how is everyone else doing with your hosta purchases? I received the American Hosta Society Journal a few days ago. and the pictures and articles always fuel the hosta fire. hostajim1

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Didn't get the journal yet, but I'm starting to feel the itch. I'm happy that Floral & Hardy (Cdn) are offering Clovelly this year. So I'm ordering that one for sure. I think I'll round out the order with Flemish Sky and a bunch of Heuchera.

Sandy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm waiting to see what comes back and what doesn't. Being in zone 9 there's always a question and then if I need to I'll order something to replace hostas that don't return. It's fun to window shop though. I'm out of space unless something bites the dust.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I've been drooling over my journal and trying to not go crazy.

I haven't shopped yet, but........my sister gave me hostas for Christmas. I very subtley mentioned that Naylor Creek had a hosta that I had to have. I had wanted Aliyah's Grace for several years, but wasn't quite ready to drop $100+ for the OS. Asch finally TC'd it and NC has it. My daughter's name is Aliya....hence my obsession. So not only do I have that prize coming, but she also ordered me Harry van de Laar ! My dad's name is Harris (Harry), so that is very nice.....but.....little did she know that I am a real sucker of red petioles. And....this Harry also has white backs! Could it get any better? Well.....NC also has a Harry van Trier.........Hmmmm. I still have a $100 Gift Certificate for NC from last year that I didn't use. I'm giddy with anticipation.

Actually......I've had some email correspondence with Steve from Foxfire, and he's going to have some special beauties available. (Grecian Lace, Stitch in Time and more) I've been pestering him about Grecian Lace for a couple of years now. FYI....I think that we're planning another Hosta Co-op this Spring.

So many hostas......so little money.......

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I got bit too!!! I just ordered.
Carnival
Choo Choo Train
Fried Bannanas
& Slolar Flare These are all from New Hampshire hostas and there is six more on my list.
Diva
June Fever
Day Breack
Great Expectations
Inniswood
& Liberty Can't wait. BEV

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

As you all know by now, I AM SO WEAK!!!!

Here's my list from Naylor Creek:
Gunther's Prize
Great Escape
Totally Twisted
Princess Anastasia
Lakeside Cricket
L. Cupcake
L. Love Affaire
L. Hoola Hoop
Christmas Pageant
Grand Marquee
Empress Wu
L. Cranberry Relish
Little Jay
Hotspur
Heat Wave
Teeny-weeny Bikini
High Society
Blue Ice

Somebody help me, please!!! And now Marie says that FoxFire is having a coop again this year! Guess I'm not done, yet!

Marie, you have a gift certificate left from last year!!!! I'm amazed. that would have lasted me less than a week. Stich in Time looks exactly like the name. the center green looks like it's stiched to the lighter green. I purchased it last fall at the NC fall sale. Bev. nice choices. I ordered Solar Flare, can't wait to see it in my garden. Great Expectations is slow, but well worth the wait. Rose, nice list!!! I bought Gunther's Prize last fall. it's truly a stunner. the price seems steep. but I looked up in the Hosta Finder. and it was $200. so $50 is very reasonable. a friend sent me seeds from a Skylight X Empress Wu cross. I had some nice blue and green seedlings, so I can't wait to see them in their 2nd year. I'm naming the largest one Blue Wu. good luck with your purchases. everyone, Jim

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Last year, I went overboard and bought for different shapes and sizes to play with making new hostas.

This, I'm being pretty conservative (for me!).

I've only put in one order so far, and will probably do one or two more.

Unforgettable
Silver Threads and Golden Needles
Whirlwind Tour
Nigrescens
Diana Remembered
Barbara May
Sunshine Glory

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I've been holding back so far. Like Marie, I still have a Gift Certificate from Naylors left from last year. Haven't gotten my Journal yet though,,,,sigh

Kelly

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Well I haven't ordered a single hosta yet this year! Honest! And.... it is KILLING me, LOL. I've got about $1000 wish list though. Hopefully I'll make it to the convention and can "stock up" then ;) LOL

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Jim,

I've been wanting Gunther's Prize since I saw it on Hosta Library, but wasn't ready to pay way too much for it! I tried to get one from NC last fall when I read that some of you had purchased them for $50, but was too late!!! So, the first one on my 2008 list was Gunther's Prize!

Rose, good luck with that one, I hadn't seen it before last fall, and it was love at first site. but I'm glad the price was $50 instead of $200. I've paid that much for a hosta before, (Atom Smasher $250)but had to think about it. I hope I can get a flower scape out of it, this year. I would like to do some crosses with it. even if it's a sport. there should be some good genes in there somewhere. I've been having great luck making crosses with a species Pycnophyla that I purchased several years ago. so that would be the one I would try first. Jim

Dallas, TX

So far ...
Frosted Mouse Ears
Green " "
Holy " "
Aphrodite
Cat & Mouse
Corkscrew
Cat's Eye
Stitch in Time

I just received the Hosta Journal too with 07 behind my name. I paid for 08 on 12/18/07 and I am in the process of sending Markland a copy. Anybody going to St Louis in June for the 2008 AHA convention? I got friends in St Louis and I would love to go, but I committed myself to Iowa in May .
Thinking about still.

Dallas, TX

Anybody having problems getting into the Hosta Library other than me?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sylvia,Just tried HL and I got in fine.

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

I even did better I got to visit the Hosta Library in person yesterday. Bob Axmear invited me over to check out his seedlings. Needless to say it was well worth my time. ;)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I haven't order anything yet. :~((( Tho I've got a huge wish list from Naylors, Foxfire, Chris, ................
I have absolutely no shade now since the ice storm last month. I lost my 3 huge trees, Okla Red Bud and a really big Dog Wood. Haven't figured out what I'm gonna do.

Debbie

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh Debbie, How sad to lose those lovely trees.

Ann

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm sorry that you lost your trees Debbie. What a disaster for a hosta grower. Sure hope that there is a solution that works for you.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

not a penny YET!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

So far I have ordered:

Faith
Hacksaw
Ice Age Trail
Lakeside Old Smokey
London Fog
Moonstruck
Nor'easter
Peanut
Peppermint Ice
plantaginea Aphrodite
Stitch in Time
Vulcan

I said I wasn't going to order anything this year till I found out what made it through the winter and the squirrels. Cancel that idea.

Lani

Lani, you should enjoy those for years to come. it's true how they descibe Stitch in Time, shiny leaf and the center seems to be stitched in. a real beauty! Jim

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

;o) Thanks Jim. I know I will love all of those. They are all unique ones.

Cedar Rapids, IA

I haven't bought anything yet this year. I have been working on my lists but it's gonna be kept kind of short this year. I am however looking for Royal Mouse Ears and Holy Mouse Ears. Does anyone know where I may be able to get these?

Shelly

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Let us know if you find out. However, I guess those of us in Canada will just have to wait.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Jim's hostas has Holy Mouse Ears and Frosted Mouse Ears
http://www.jimshostas.com/cgi-bin/catalog/search.pl

Royal Mouse Ears is only going to be available at auction this year but Jim's also has a streaker called One Iota Supreme that is a Blue MouseEars sport. He's asking $80.00 for it though so I'm passing.

Dallas, TX

Ann for some reason or the other I think Royal Mouse Ears is in Canada, not the states, I have to go back and check my resources.

Lani, I am confused about plantaginea Aphrodite. I just bought the plant called Aphrodite. I have plantaginea already. ... are they one in they same or are they different? I read up on it some time ago, but don't remember the distinction. Which is what? :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Whoo Hoo! Wouldn't that be fun if it is and can be found.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

NONE this year for me. I want to spend more time growing what I allready have. I got a 4 gal back pack sprayer for christmas that is going to make it real easy to feed through the folage. Will be a lot of compost tea and fish emulsion being sprayed. I will also be able to spay alfalfa meal since the sprayer has a agitator in the bottom that keeps fine particals mixed in the water. I look forward to bringing what I have back from the terrible year we had last year due to the freezes etc.

Wyoming, MN

I have only
ordered from Naylor.
Gunthers Prize
Ginsu Knife
Hacksaw
tortifrons
Empress Wu
Fluted Fountain
Manzo

Gary

oz.....you know that at some point you won't be able to help yourself.....you'll pick up a hosta or two. More importantly........please share the details on your Christmas present. A 4 gal. backpack sprayer with an agitator. Be still my heart.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sylvia, Plantagina Aphrodite has a double bloom. That's what makes it different.

Marie It ain't cheap,but here you are.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_9063_9063

Oz ! ! ! ! !

Not only is that one sweet piece of equipment, but I live about 90 min. from their outlet store ! ! ! ! ! And......about 20 minutes beyond that is a regular store ! ! ! ! And about 30 minutes beyond that is their headquarters and it looks like another store about 5 minutes from there ! ! ! ! ! ! !

There is nothing quite as sweet as a building full of tools.....except maybe their Outlet Store ! ! ! IF, the temps weren't already dropping below zero, and IF the temps weren't supposed to stay that way for a couple of days........I would be headed in that direction to check them out ASAP.

Do you want me to let you know if I find one of those sprayers for less than $150? And no shipping if I'm just loading it into my pick-up. YES ! ! !

OZ....you have made my day. Thank you so very much!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Breathe, marie, ....(our ms. tool girl).... breathe ... lol

Sandy

Dallas, TX

I would love to have a sprayer, that just sprays more than two or three times and dont quit on you. I have bought so many sprayer to use Messenger(?, I even paid about 15.00 for one that was guranteed and it stop working. Nice gift Oz what are you using it for, compost tea?

Doss .... and what about Venus? ... some pictures was just posted on Hostapix and they all look alike to me. Well I am going to plant them all together to see ... will get back with you in a couple of years. :)

Marie----OS makes several sprayers that really are something. There is one about 15 gals I seen in a locale nursery for sale. you can attach it to a garden tractor are riding mower and it had about 15 ft of hose. since you mostly flat ground it would be really really nice thing to have. It is also electric powered. I think what you do is cnnect it to a auto battery for power.

Sylvia----- composted Poultry manure. I mixed about 1 cubic yard of it with about 1/2 that amount of shreaded leaves last October and it is setting in the box. I will be filling nylon sock with that and soaking it in 4 gals of water for the mix. Makes a slightly thick soup.

Sandy---- Note what I told Marie about the larger sprayers. I would think that would better fit your needs.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ok its official I now have some ordered from eflowergarden!

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

I seen a 4 gal. backpack sprayer at Lowes today for $74.99.

ALLNITRO---Yeah I have seen them there also. They even had a OS model there for sale last year. But it is not the same thing believe me. I want something when I spray powders in my spay solution that there is a way to keep them mixed and enough power and size in the hose and nozzel to make them come though and not be jaming up in there. I use garlic, red pepper, sifted alfalfa meal and strained compost in prayers solutions and most sprayed that cost under 100 bucks will not do the job. OS0 has a agitator in the bottom that keeps things mixed and it delivers up to 160lbs pressure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.