CLOSED: Identify This Bird Please Vol. 2

Marlton, NJ

Hi Everyone, We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/800598/

Heres a fellow that came barreling into the yard today but came up empty on getting any of the feeder birds. :-)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Cooper's Hawk

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Yes,Thank you Resin! :-)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice hawk pic Pelle!

Marlton, NJ

Thanks debnes; he made it very easy by posing in different locations around the yard. :-)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

OMG!! What a great photo!! He sure is a regal looking fellow.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

WOW! He WAS posing for you wasn't he!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

A great photo of the Coopers Hawk, Pelle. You did a good job !!! Lighting looks perfect.

Marlton, NJ

Thanks Everyone!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice shot Pelle!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Awesome!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Wow - nice shot to bookmark for future ID!

Edited to add: Have you all tried the new "tag" option Dave added? When I bookmarked the photo, I tagged it and found a lot of other photos tagged, too. Very cool. I knew he was working on it, but didn't expect it so soon.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2008 8:20 PM

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I bookmarked it with other DG - Bird IDs in my favorites folder (Foxfire). (Great minds think alike, eh?) The photos are so much better than the guides. I haven't checked on the "tag" option. Will have to see what you're referring too.

Here's the thread. It's going to replace the Favorites. Much better, as you won't have to search through a long list.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

This came in with some pine warblers. Is it a yellow-rumped warbler?

Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

A little different angle

Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep Frank! Yellow-rumped Wabler!!
Cute!

Marlton, NJ

I agree; I just had one here a few weeks ago.

Who was it that called them 'butter-butts' - I loved that!

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Welll....you could do a (: Search forums :) thing for "butter butt"

or.........

OldNed
Merritt Island, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #4345150

Edit

Yep...Butter Butt for sure

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

lol Ned :-) I'll go with that!

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Good, I can add that to my list.

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations on the lifer Frank!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Old Ned, You can right click on the post # and select "copy Link location"

Then you can paste it in like this: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4345150

Marlton, NJ

Thanks debnes; I didn't know that either.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

those photos are exceptional. Thanks for sharing!

Still chuckling...butter butt. :-) Not an accepted ornithological term, of course, but very descriptive!
Glad I provided a learning moment!

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Cool...Thanks Deb-hope I remember that next time but you know the old saying: "You can't teach an OldNed new tricks"...(is that the way it goes?)

Seward, AK

Pelletory, I couldn't help noticing that he ate recently by the looks of the feathers on his feet.
Carol

Marlton, NJ

LOL,Yes I noticed that too Carol!

I'm sure they don't go very long at all before catching something. :-)

Pelle

Seward, AK

Sister, Ava is having trouble with a shrike hunting her 36 foot bird feeder/porch! We're asking for xmas trees to place around for shelter.
Carol

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Ok, here's one. Sorry it is so far away! I've tried cropping the picture, but that just makes everything distorted. I want to guess that he's a red tailed hawk.
Thanks much!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

here's one more....

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

Yep, Red-tailed Hawk, quite a pale individual (they are very variable in this).

Resin

Thanks Resin!
They certainly are large birds, that don't appreciate it when you use flash to take a picture!!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Pelle, great pix, looks like that new camera is working out well!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, here's one of the new birds I saw at Brushy Creek Lake Park the other day. My best guess is a Swainson's Thrush. I saw it high in the trees in the late afternoon, hawking tiny flying insects. It would fly off the branch where it sat and not exactly hover, but perform impressive acrobatics in the air to catch the bugs.

The reason I suspect Swainson's Thrush is partly because of what my book said:
"Most thrushes feed on the ground, but the Swainson's Thrush is also adept at gleaning the airy heights of trees for food, sometimes breifly hover-gleaning like warbler of vireo. Search for this thrush in large, mixed species flocks that gather where berries are numerous (there were lots of Yaupon hollies in this area) but be aware that this wary thrush does not allow many viewing opportunities and often gives a sharp warning call from some distance." (now that last part doesn't match with my experience because I was watching from an open place and there were many other people around, jogging, etc.. The birds were well aware of our presence and didn't seem to mind.)

Anyway, here's pic #1

edited to add info

This message was edited Jan 13, 2008 8:11 PM

Thumbnail by PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure if this is a pair, or two different types of birds. The one on the right is the same bird in the previous pic, I think.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

He hunted insects from this branch for a long time. It must have been gnats, because they were too small for me to see, but he kept jumping off and catching them, then landing back in the same place.

I'm not at all sure about it being a thrush. That was just from flipping through the book and looking for pictures with mottled breast and light eye ring.

They're both Yellow-rumped Warblers; first & third pic, and right-hand bird in the second pic, is an adult (probably female), the left-hand bird in the second pic is an immature with less streaked underparts.

The yellow patch on the flanks (mentioned by all the books) is very variable in how conspicuous it is, sometimes it shows well, other times, it hardly shows at all, depending I suspect on what the bird is doing, how it is holding its wings, and whether it has its feathers fluffed up or sleeked down.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.