My Chalice Vine Has A Bud!!!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I missed it until it got big enough to bite me. I'm so excited! I waited all last year for this thing to make a flower and it didn't. I took cuttings from it in August and the new growth is putting out buds!

I'd post the picture in Plant Files but I don't know what species it is.

Warning to dial ups .. I forgot to resize the picture, it's 3.5 megs. I reposted the picture below in a smaller size.

X

This message was edited Jan 10, 2008 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is is in a more reasonable size.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The system automatically resizes large pics down so that dialup people can view them easier--only reason to downsize them yourself is if you're on dialup and want them to upload faster!

Once it blooms hopefully someone will be able to ID it and then you can post it in PF.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool!, now I have to get my ladder and check mine on the fence!

Edinburg, TX

Great! I noticed mine forming buds several days ago and they started to open this morning :o)

I have several in my yard and in pots and the ones planted in the ground have really started to run rampant. I usually cut them back but neglected to so do this season. I hate to waste the cuttings and just don't make the time to offer them up for trade.

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Can't wait for mine to open to find out what species. Cuttings are easy to root.

X

Edinburg, TX

X - the size of the buds is really amazing...just wait for yours to bloom and you'll be dancing on air at the size of the flower!!! A friend of mine had a vine covering her back fence - it gets full of blooms...big huge yellow flowers that dwarf everything else in her yard.

Yes, the cuttings are easy to root...more so when they are long and have formed aerial roots...I really do need to cut mine back - several of the branches have reached up into my neighbor's overhanging oak tree as well as spread along the grass. I have to keep holding them up when I mow the lawn!

Guess if anyone reads this thread and wants bare fresh cuttings they can d-mail me about postage or trade :o)

~ Cat

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I checked mine today..and didn't see any buds. Alot of new growth .

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They come right out of the center of new growth.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of a bud just forming rj. The thing to look for are leaves that look fat.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thankyou very much...
gives me an idea of where to look and what to expect...we have lousy weather forecasted for the weekend....arrgh

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations!

I have both the variegated and the regular. I've had both for over three years, now, and never one single bloom...
-T

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

T, they bloom on new growth. Mine started producing buds after I took cuttings for trades and all the buds are on new growth that has grown since i cut it back.

X

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, but I've done that a bunch, too...*sigh

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

X, got any pictures of your flower yet? TPP, that's a beautiful picture...I think this is now on must have list :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Not yet! I check it every day. Trust me, when it starts to open I'll be clicking away! I really hope I will be able to tell which species I have when it finally does open.

I just happen to have a rooted cutting .. what do you have to tempt me with? :-)

X

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 6:29 AM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

oohh, spring can't come soon enough...it's pretty bare right now: amazon lily, oxalis (purple), black stem ee, gloriosum, some philodendrums, lots of bulbs (caladiums, lilies) in spring i should have lots of tropicals (various ee, cannas, passionflowers, papyrus). if you think of something that's not listed, just ask; i might have it. thanks, ashley :)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Has anyone ever started theses from seed? I'm really excited, after some searching, I finally found seeds for the white ones!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I haven't seen any information on starting these from seeds. They are usually propagated by cuttings, of which the green wood roots easily.

X

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Hay X, are you still looking for Day Dreams or New Orleans Lady?
Caren

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Caren .. if the ones you are talking about are brugmansia and not daylily .. yes! Want to trade for some chalice vine?

X

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Dmailed ya!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm with seedpicker, I've had both the regular and variegated for 2 years now and no blooms yet. I couldn't even think of getting any now for sure, as cold as it's been, Although both mine are growing in the greenhouse now. I alsmost lost the solid one last spring , putting it out too early and it got severely frost bit.

I was affraid I was going to loose it so I dug it up. I think their hardy here but mine were small last winter so I dug them and put them in the greenhouse. I hope to see some blooms this year.

That'a b eautiful bloom puddyprint.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful bloom, Does yours smell like fresh baked Banana Bread? The flower on the one I have smelled wonderful.
I have had the variegated for two years now and the vine is huge. When I bought it it roots were spilling out of a 4" pot and it was blooming. Now it's potted larger (probably to large) but hasn't bloomed for me. I am off to the GH to look for buds.
Do you fertilize over winter??
Betty

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's getting close! The bud is changing shape.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

How cold does it get there X ?

How cold do you let your green house get. both my chalice vines are growing in the greenhouse but their small cause I cut them back last fall.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The thermostat is set to 40 for the heat. It can get in the upper 90's in the day.

X

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I just checked every branch on mine. There are 6 or 8 branches each about 8' tall. Lots of new growth but not a bud in sight. My GH temp is about the same as yours. The plant gets full sun.
Betty

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Ok, i'm going out to check mine right now LOL Wish me luck, keeping my fingers crossed.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Is it in the greenhouse?
very cool! I noticed my Beaumontia Grandiflora in the front garden has some buds on it...! but nothing on the chalice vines although they are putting out alot of new vines right now.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, it's in the greenhouse .. could you please post a picture of the beaumontia buds? I'd like to know where to look and what they look like.

X

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sure..I have it all posted in this blog...
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/5606/

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH man, I just bought that vine from Kartuz, it's about 8 inches tall now LOL I looked it up on google, and saw a picture of what looks to be a seed pod but it's huge. or is that a bloom http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Beaumontia+Grandiflora&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

see it in the picture there second row? is that a seed pod? or a flower bud. That thing is huge.

I can't wait formine to bloom this year. Hopefully

I was disappointed to see that I had no buds on my chalice vines LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks RJ .. now I know where to look.

X

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

it's a seed pod..pretty large huh? The vine is very thick and big.
I heard to get the Chalice vines blooming they have to experience a dry period, so try letting it dry out, but not wiltingly so.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That is sooo cool X! I lost my Chalice Vine this winter, but I think I still have some seeds around.

Way to go, RJ! Mine is still alive and starting to put out new leaves slowly. I moved in under a plant light.

:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.