starting from seed in a EB

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Has anyone tried to start from seed in their EBS, like peas or cukes ect
just got 2 for christmas would like to try

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I have sugar snap peas, started from seed. They look a little ratty due to the high winds we've had in the last couple of weeks. Otherwise, they're doing just fine!

The white mulch cover is sort of shot--I had used it for peppers in the summer, but the dog went after them and pretty much ripped the whole thing to bits. I decided it was still in good enough shape for winter use with peas,and went with it, but, like the peas, it didn't do so well with our winds. I should probably try a little tape!

Thumbnail by tucsonjill
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Skiff --- I start most everything from seed directly in my EBs except for peppers and tomatos. Simply cut an X in the cover and plant seed accordingly wetting the top of the EB just this one time after seeding. It is important to keep your cover in good condition by replacing it before every new planting as you defeat the purpose of the EB by exposing the mix to disease and the soil to weeds and also drying out of the mix.
Jill -- If you don't use the cover properly it would be just like using a flower pot and would defeat the system? To be successful you must follow the standards our you will be terribly disappointed!! I have twenty-two EBs and always have at least ten extra covers available just in case.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

(Jill, hanging her head in shame...)

"Sorry, Tplant" she mumbled...

You're right, of course. I was aggravated at the dog who ripped the thing to shreds, and just wanted to get something, anything, planted back in there. In my own defense, it wasn't nearly so bad before the winds hit. I've had 2 small weeds, no problem to remove, and we've actually had enough rain that the reservoir isn't draining at all. I do need to fix the situation, though, and I really should go ahead and order several extra covers just for exactly that reason.

Although, gotta say, if the dog trashes my EB again, I won't be responsible for my actions!

Jill --- Use "Critter Ridder"as it works to keep all pests away from your plants. Just spray the base of the EB and they won't go near it. Repeat every week for two or three weeks and even when you stop they will automatically avoid your plants. It can be used anywhere on most anything. I have a dog, three cats, squirrels, foxes, possums, raccoons and all kinds of critters that used to mess up my garden but no more even though they still come around they do no damage. I am an animal lover and would never harm them so this works...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm going to try the Critter Ridder this year on my 'matos for sure this year, Tplant. I tried a bnch of things for the ground squirrels last year, but my all-purpose animal deterrent was a different brand, and didn't work at all. I'm going to give yours a try because you're having such good luck with it. And I never thought about the fact that it would keep Teddy out of trouble as well--an added bonus! I was planning to just fence her out of the garden area, but that also makes it harder for us to come and go as well. This would be a much better solution all around!

Thanks for the help (and moral support), Tplant!

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

thanks tplant for your help I had just planted 12 small pea plants when the cold weather hit,they didn't make it. Iwasn't sure about seeds because the EB people don't talk about it.

Thanks again

I lost some of my pea plants but simply set in some more seeds. I plant six on each side with the fertilizer down the middle. I cut X thru the cover where I want the seed to grow and than just wait a week or less and they sprout. That's all there is to it!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Tplant, I thought I'd show you the end result of my EB-grown sugar snap peas. The kids and I have gotten into the habit of grabbing a quick "snack" every time we walk by! Will definitely do again next winter.

Thumbnail by tucsonjill
Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

Jill

That looks great! I bought a three EB and will be planting into them probably this week. I want to plant bitter mellon vines in one of them and beans in the other.

This is my first experience with EB. I am so inspired when I read posts from people like you!!

Mimi

Jill --You found the perfect spot for them and they are really something! No foolin! My sugar snaps only grew to about half that height? No it is your turn to advise me! What fertilizer did you use? Was it a secret formula? LOL

Mimianvy -- Hi and welcome to the world of EBs. If you want bean advice ask the pro "Tusconjill" as she certainly qualifies. As for me I always wondered about "Bitter melons". How do you eat them? Just the name turned me off as I grow and am growing several types of melons in my EBs as of this time. I will be posting pictures today in the "Fruit & nut" forum.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm blushing, Tplant! :) This was actually something of a happy accident. I had moved the EB into my garage when we were forecasted to have temps in the low 20s for a couple of nights, then, since I didn't want to drag it all around the yard again, moved it just outside the garage for the rest of the winter. The peas were so happy in that spot, I never bothered to move them back to the veggie garden area--even though it never got cold enough again for them to need to go back in the garage.

I don't know if the fertilizer was a "secret formula", but it was the house brand for our local nursery. They mix it themselves, and it's great. Unfortunately, it's probably not available out where you are.

Mimianvy, don't let Tplant fool you--he's still the EB Boss! I am a mere novice, still learning from the master. :) Thanks for the compliment, though!

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello there Tplant,

I really like bitter melon (which I think is more a gourd, I believe) just fried in a little oil until tender than adding an egg and just scrambling it in, a little of salt/soy sauce/dashi. It's really good raw and putting canned tuna, little of mayo and red pepper flakes. It's more a acquired taste, I think. My daughters won't touch the stuff, oh will, more for me!! LOL

It's suppose to be really good for diabetics also. I planted in the jiffy thing about 8 seeds but only 2 came up. So I planted a few more. They grow as vines and the flowers are small and yellow.

Thank you for the wonderful replys, both of you. I'm really excited to grow them in the EB!

Mimi

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Jill, those are some awesome peas ! I'd love to know what variety you used. I love the way they climbed, they're beautiful !

This thread is just in perfect timing, as I've been wondering if it's possible to grow peas in my EB's.

Another thing I wonder about is the fertilizer. From everything I've read about growing peas and beans, they always say not to add fertilizer to garden soil because they fix their own nitrogen and will grow lots of lush foilage and not as many beans / peas if the soil
has too much nitrogen.

Looks to me like you got that problem taken care of, as you have a beautiful crop on yours. Whatever the mix of fertilizer you used is, it seems to be just right. Is there any way you can ask your local nursery what combination they used ?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Well, thanks, PeggieK! They're "Sugar Snap" peas, (Pisum Sativum), from Botanical Interests. The fertilizer is a 7-3-4 organic "house" blend from the local nursery, so I'm sure it's also providing some quantity of micronutrients in addition to the NPK.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Hope I can find that mix of organic fertilizer when I grow my peas and beans. I'll see if my local nursery can help me out with this? No kidding Jill, those beans are the exception and whatever you do use that EB only for your legumes ( fancy word for beans) as they seem to love the mix. Change the mix every three or four years but you will have to top it off every year with some fresh container mix. The mix, the fertilizer and you are the winning combination. Don't change a thing and do keep us informed on growth, quality, production and of course taste. Take some closeup pictures if you can. The variety are Sugar Snaps??

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm blushin' again, Tplant! :)

Sad but true, the Sugar Snaps are on the downslide; no more blooms and the plants are starting to look a bit over the hill. Not a surprise, we've been getting temps in the 80s, and I understand that's a bit much for peas--they're a winter crop for us here. We've been lovin' them, though, and will definitely be repeating again next year. Probably I'll put them in the same area, since that seemed to work so well (and we could snack on them on our way in and out of the house.)

Gotta confess, though, Tplant, as soon as the peas are done, the EB turns into a tomato condo; I've still got 2 more that are waiting for their permanent homes, but I couldn't bear to rip the peas out before they were truly finished.

But thanks again for all your kind comments!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jill, for checking on the fertilizer info. That's kind of a weak
blend of ingredients isn't it ? The EB's instructions say to use a mix that has all 3 numbers between 5 and 15. And then, I've read that peas and beans don't like a lot of fert........so what you used must be just right for them.

I wonder, if I'm using a mix that's 9-12-12, if it would get the same results if I use less than the called for amount ? EB directions says to use 2 cups. I wonder if just using maybe 3/4 of one cup would do about the same ?

Tplant, have you experimented any with the amounts of fert. you use in your EB's in an effort to tweak it for certain vegetables like legumes and such ?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm.... maybe I should go back and re-read the instructions... oops...

The good news is, you won't damage a plant with too little fertilizer, the same way you would with too much. Just might not get quite the same production. In this case, that might have been a good thing--don't know what we would have done with too many more snap peas!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

My first go-around with my EB's is not working so well. Its not the EB's. is I dont have a handle on bugs and plant problems. The (once) beuatiful peppers are just laying down. I wondered if they were getting burnt by the fertilizer. I dont think thats it. My tomatoes have deformed leaves at the top or they have two-tones leaves. Im planting some more today, I know I will 'get' it.

Hi PeggieK -- When growing legumes keep the first number of your fertilizer, nitrogen, low as the beans make their own. I would and use a low # such as 6-6-6 or any low organic blend but this is only for legumes or beans if you would! I use 10-10-10 (2 cups)and dolomite lime (2-cups) for everything else. Your mix of 9-12-12 should be OK for the two cup formula. Be certain to place as directed by the EB people.

gardenglory --- I'm having similiar problems with my remaining tomato plants. It really is too humid for tomato production at this time so poor quality is to be expected. As far as your peppers are concerned, I'm just starting mine now from seed. They should not be affected as they enjoy heat unless they are the sweet thick, bloc green or red peppers that are subject to sunburn. It does not seem to bother the hot variety.

Jill -- Ever hear the expression "IF IT WORKS - DON'T FIX IT?" LOL You are doing just fine as is. Modify your fertilizer formula as you go and use different formula as you have been doing. Your legume formula has worked fine for you and I am truly envious! Wish I did as well with my beans? I did but nowhere near as well as yours. Think I'll rent some space from you for my bean and peas crop and take lessons from you! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.