Green Envy ??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I just saw this in a catalog ... has it been around a while, and are there seeds readily available? { Al ??? }
it is very cool looking ...

TIA,

Terese

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It's about a year old on the market now T.
It came out looking like the photos of it actually.
Not sure if the seeds are true or it's hardiness yet.
Fairly common in catalogs this year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Al.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I planted Green Envy last spring. They bloomed true to the catalog picture. Crossing my fingers they make it through this crazy, hot, then cold, snow, no snow winter here.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'd love to try some seeds to see if they'd come true to color.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought bareroot plants. They were pretty tiny, and only 4 out of 6 made it. I bought them from a vendor I don't really like, but they were the only one I could find that had them available last Spring. Everywhere else I looked they were sold out or too expensive.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I know... i've seen them, so far, in 2 catalogs for $20
too steep for me.

(Annie ) in Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

Do the butterflies and hummers like them?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:

It's about a year old on the market now T.
It came out looking like the photos of it actually.
Not sure if the seeds are true or it's hardiness yet.
Fairly common in catalogs this year.

Hey Al,

if you remember, later this year, reply back on how they did this season.... if they were hardy enough, and if so, what the color is this year... hopefully the same as when you go it.

In the pictures, it's a stunning flower.

T.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I will. I don't check off hardy for this zone until I know for sure.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I paid $54 + S&H for 6 plants wholesale in March. That's a lot considering two of them died. I had them growing in pots in the GH until early summer, then planted the remaining 4 on the south side of my house near the foundation so I could keep an eye on them. It's nice and warm there. Maybe they'll make it. If they don't, I'm going to stick with the good old purple ones. I have an area that's mostly prairie plants. I planted Echinacea 'Sunrise' in there in '06 and they are doing good. I didn't put Green Envy in the pairie bed though, I was afraid they'd get lost in the crowd.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

pastime... does the company you purchased from have a guarantee ??

even though many folks do not like dealing with Springhill nursery ... just for this case is why i do buy from them. If something dies, no questions asked... i get it replaced.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought them from VanBourgondien & Sons. I also bought 6 Destined to See Daylilies because I couldn't find them anywhere else for $6 each. They were small, but did bloom. Lately I've been sticking with Klehm's and Walters Gardens. You have to buy 20-25 of each plant from them, but DD is a landscape designer and she buys them from me and uses them in her designs. I hope she never quits her job!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Pastime i wish you lived closer I'd hier her LOL
Gloria

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It's really nice having a landscaper in the family. Last year she bought abot 400 plants from me, all Daylilies though. Cant' wait til spring, I miss the extra money.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I love that pic Al. I also ordered some for spring, hope they turn out as good as yours.

Page, ND

I'm afraid of these - only because I had tons of Yellow Aster and dug up about 40 plants last summer! I dont want a coneflower that is green! YIKES! (Oh, but I do, I do! - Coneflower crazy here)

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

They look like the yellow asters or at least some type of disease. I wouldn't buy these. How would you tell if they have the disease? Green is a very dangerous color for echinacea blooms!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i want it i want it! trying to find a place that will wholesale it for us!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was hoping Al could tell us his thoughts/experiences on Green Envy.... but i haven't "seen" him in quite some time.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I want some green envy now too!! Where is Al these days?

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Therese,

I received some green envy seeds in the Piggie Swap. WSed them and the lovely babies are now in my flower bed. I'll let you know how the blooms look and if they did come true, I'll be glad to save some seeds for you. I know that would mean a delay of a year, but at least you'd know if it's worth trying from seed. When I get home tonight, I'll also check to see if I had any leftover seed, but I don't thin I did.

Tonya

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Awesome.. Thanks Tonya.
are they first year bloomers?

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

First year bloomers? Good question. This is my first year with anything besides the standard purpurea, but those were first year, so I am hoping these are, too. I assumed they were, but now realize I shouldn't assume that!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I've never had an echinacea not bloom the first year. I haven't started any from seed, but I have bought them as small first-year plugs and they always grew and bloomed...even the more unusual varieties. It's usually not a profusion of blooms (although 'Pink Double Delight' proved me wrong on that one by going completely nuts), but they're there.

For what it's worth, I had green envy in my old garden and it turned out to be my least favorite of the specialty echies that I had. The colors were never as bright as they appeared in catalogs and it always looked somewhat ratty and underwhelming. Maybe it's just me. *shrug*

Here's 'Coconut Lime' with 'Pink Double Delight' (I loved the combo!) and liatris thinking about blooming in the background. These aren't in their fullest bloom yet. The flowers get bushier as the bloom ages.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

KaylyRed,

Those are my favorites. They are some tough plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.